Computer freezes when changing file location

The problem I am running into is this

When using Microsoft Office and you click file save, as soon as you hit the
drop down box to change the file location the computer locks. I still have
control of the mouse but nothing else. Running W2k. Thank you in advance for
your help and efforts.

Open "My Computer" r-click and Disconnect any drives with a RED "X".