"A duplicate name exists on the network"

Upon boot up, a Windows-System Error appears stating "A duplicate name exists
on the network". I appears that the duplicate name is actually my server
workstation. Windows Explorer lists two sets of identical My Computer and My
Network Places under a single Desktop. It appears that my computer has set up
a mirror image of itself both of which appear when setting up the Network
Connections. How do I remove this second/duplicate name/image?

"RaymondSBaxterIII" <RaymondSBaxterIII@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:3F00F411-42D3-4648-9F9C-3EB576181333@microsoft.com...
> Upon boot up, a Windows-System Error appears stating "A duplicate name
exists
> on the network". I appears that the duplicate name is actually my server
> workstation. Windows Explorer lists two sets of identical My Computer and
My
> Network Places under a single Desktop. It appears that my computer has set
up
> a mirror image of itself both of which appear when setting up the Network
> Connections. How do I remove this second/duplicate name/image?

This usually happens when you make the workgroup name
the same as a workstation name.

If this is not the case: Do you still get the error message when
you start the machine in island mode, ie. with all network
cables disconnected and all wireless connections disabled?

The workstation name is different than the workgroup name which is just
WORKGROUP. Just a little background: I have a dual processor (Supermicro)
PIII 1.26MHz motherboard with an Intel onboard 10/100 LAN chipset adapter
(connected to Cox Cable ISP with dynamic IP addressing) and an Intel
EtherExpress Pro/100 PCS LAN Adaptec (connected to NAS IDSL with five static
IP addresses). The cable modem is connected to a Netgear Super 108 Wireless
router with both wireline and wireless connection to desktops. The ISDL modem
is connected to a Linksys 10/100 Hub. My server/workstation is connected to
both the router and the hub. Other connections to the hub include an HP
printer, Intel Netport Express print server, another workstation and a laptop
all with assigned static IP addresses. Everything worked fine until I
disconnected the server/workstation from the hub and/or router as I was
attempting to rearrange the jumper cables. Upon reconnecting the jumpers a
message appeared that the computer had found a new network. I performed a
warm reboot since I was unable to escape out of that message. Now I am unable
to connect to the cable service, cannot locate the print server and must
manually re-establish the connection to the other computers. The duplicate
network only appears upon boot up when both LAN connections are plugged into
their respective LAN adapters. I am hoping to be able to correct the problem
without reinstalling the operating system.