"A duplicate name exists on the network"

Upon boot up, a Windows-System Error appears stating "A duplicate name exists
on the network". I appears that the duplicate name is actually my server
workstation. Windows Explorer lists two sets of identical My Computer and My
Network Places under a single Desktop. It appears that my computer has set up
a mirror image of itself both of which appear when setting up the Network
Connections. How do I remove this second/duplicate name/image?
2 answers Last reply
More about duplicate exists network

    "RaymondSBaxterIII" <RaymondSBaxterIII@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:3F00F411-42D3-4648-9F9C-3EB576181333@microsoft.com...
    > Upon boot up, a Windows-System Error appears stating "A duplicate name
    exists
    > on the network". I appears that the duplicate name is actually my server
    > workstation. Windows Explorer lists two sets of identical My Computer and
    My
    > Network Places under a single Desktop. It appears that my computer has set
    up
    > a mirror image of itself both of which appear when setting up the Network
    > Connections. How do I remove this second/duplicate name/image?

    This usually happens when you make the workgroup name
    the same as a workstation name.

    If this is not the case: Do you still get the error message when
    you start the machine in island mode, ie. with all network
    cables disconnected and all wireless connections disabled?

    The workstation name is different than the workgroup name which is just
    WORKGROUP. Just a little background: I have a dual processor (Supermicro)
    PIII 1.26MHz motherboard with an Intel onboard 10/100 LAN chipset adapter
    (connected to Cox Cable ISP with dynamic IP addressing) and an Intel
    EtherExpress Pro/100 PCS LAN Adaptec (connected to NAS IDSL with five static
    IP addresses). The cable modem is connected to a Netgear Super 108 Wireless
    router with both wireline and wireless connection to desktops. The ISDL modem
    is connected to a Linksys 10/100 Hub. My server/workstation is connected to
    both the router and the hub. Other connections to the hub include an HP
    printer, Intel Netport Express print server, another workstation and a laptop
    all with assigned static IP addresses. Everything worked fine until I
    disconnected the server/workstation from the hub and/or router as I was
    attempting to rearrange the jumper cables. Upon reconnecting the jumpers a
    message appeared that the computer had found a new network. I performed a
    warm reboot since I was unable to escape out of that message. Now I am unable
    to connect to the cable service, cannot locate the print server and must
    manually re-establish the connection to the other computers. The duplicate
    network only appears upon boot up when both LAN connections are plugged into
    their respective LAN adapters. I am hoping to be able to correct the problem
    without reinstalling the operating system.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "RaymondSBaxterIII" <RaymondSBaxterIII@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:3F00F411-42D3-4648-9F9C-3EB576181333@microsoft.com...
    > > Upon boot up, a Windows-System Error appears stating "A duplicate name
    > exists
    > > on the network". I appears that the duplicate name is actually my server
    > > workstation. Windows Explorer lists two sets of identical My Computer and
    > My
    > > Network Places under a single Desktop. It appears that my computer has set
    > up
    > > a mirror image of itself both of which appear when setting up the Network
    > > Connections. How do I remove this second/duplicate name/image?
    >
    > This usually happens when you make the workgroup name
    > the same as a workstation name.
    >
    > If this is not the case: Do you still get the error message when
    > you start the machine in island mode, ie. with all network
    > cables disconnected and all wireless connections disabled?

Windows