fpdoc

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Lately, and almost exclusively when I was playing BF2142 I would get a blue screen with a stop message noting a physical memory dump.
I checked the disk with dskchk and everyhting seemed ok and I also ran memtest86 which was also normal.
The stop code was:
0x00000007 (0xc0000185, 0xc0000185,0x00000000,0x018EA000).
I did a repair install of Windows XP and then moved BF2142 to my other disk drive (I had it in the same partition as windows for some reason). i figured if I installed it on a separate physical drive, then that would address the first code and then the last parameter if indeed it is what i think it is. Microsoft and Google searches failed to turn up the EA parameter. i assume it may reference the game.
I have not run it yet, but does this make sense? My main drive essentially runs fine and does not bluescreen except with that game.

fpdoc

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Thanks.
This started happening this month.
i hope its just EA. I re-installed it and used the full 1.10 patch, so maybe it'll help.
I did notice ingame that it ran choppier before it would BSOD.
I checked that site. The 07 code is just that. there is no letter after. When I checked Microsoft and they said it is a kernel error.

Oxc0000185:
Error Message:
STOP: 0xC0000185
Translation:
This means Windows can’t communicate with a SCSI (Small Computer System Interface) device, such as a CD-ROM drive. SCSI is a standard for parallel interfaces that lets users attach several devices to one port. The message can also mean the SCSI device is trying to use the same IRQ (Interrupt Request) line as another device. An IRQ line carries signals in the computer.

dsidious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
I read somewhere that BF2142 contains spyware. Something about ads shown in-game and adjusted based on your surfing habits, which they collect and store in their database...

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I almost never recommend this:

However, try disabling your pagefile and see if the problem persists.

Repeat: I do not recommend a pagefile smaller than 1,536 MB for gamers playing the latest varients of EA/DICE Battlefield, however in this particular case it might help isolate the fault.

Tip: If you are all unhappy with EA/DICE coding quality then STOP BUYING THEIR GAMES - So long as people purchase their **** they'll keep lowering the bar on quality and pushing out more bullshot (PA) advertising.

After BF2: SF, even when patched (even patched today), I swore NEVER to buy another EA / DICE release until they get their **** together.