Power Supply and Case fan question

I just installed an OCZ Gamestream PSU in a Tsunami Case.

After reading my motherboard manual(gigabyte DS3) Im still confused about how to hook up the three case fans. Im guessing that they plug into the same peripheral line off of the psu(there is 3 plugs on it) and then that plugs into the
system fan spot on the motherboard? None of the manuals explain this clearly.

It sucks being a rookie...
8 answers Last reply
More about power supply case question
  1. The fans are fairly large 4 pin connectors...I guess their molex.

That answers my question. Thanks for your help. I wish the manuals for some of these nicer components reflected their price tag.
  2. Not to forget that some 4-pin power connectors connect to the motherboard, using the traditional 3-pins plus a PWM connector.
  3. if thats the case.. the 3 pin plug probably only has 1 wire on it.. if so.. its just a speed monitor .. not really needed unless you plan on adjusting you case fan speeds..
  4. Yes, you can plug that into your motherboard too, to monitor fan speed through the motherboard's software.
  5. Quote:
    Not to forget that some 4-pin power connectors connect to the motherboard, using the traditional 3-pins plus a PWM connector.

I looked at my setup again and this is what I have:

The front and rear 120mm fans have the large 4 pin connectors that plug into the PSU. The side door fan has that same connector. However, the front and rear fans also have a small 3 pin connector with 1 wire running to it.

My motherboard only has one 4 pin connector for system fans. I figured that the three fans plug into the PSU line and then that has a small 4 pin connector at the end, which I guessed plugs into the four pins on the motherboard. However, that would leave the 3 pin connectors unconnected from the front and rear fans.

How should I proceed?
  6. If you want to see the fan speed in BIOS, you can connect the one wire 3-pin lead to the motherboard. That one wire is for fan speed detection. You don't have to use it, but it's there if you want to use it.
  7. Quote:
    If you want to see the fan speed in BIOS, you can connect the one wire 3-pin lead to the motherboard. That one wire is for fan speed detection. You don't have to use it, but it's there if you want to use it.

The front 120mm fan and the rear 120mm fan both have these 3 pin wires, but there is only one spot on the mobo. That is what is confusing me.

I gues I could hook the 3 fans to a peripheral line off the PSU and leave it at that right?
  8. Correct, the single wire is an unneeded feature.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Cases Power Supplies Motherboards Systems