Need help! new build wont turn on!

miket733

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
When I turn on the psu, I hear a high-pitched hum, and then I can smell something. The computer obviously wont turn on. No fans spin up, no beeps, nothing.
My specs:
Gigabyte S3 mobo
2 gigs corsair ram
160 hd
8800gts
x-fi xtreme gamer
dvd burner
core 2 6300 cpu

This is the first build I have ever done. I just recently really got into computers. Please help me!

miket733

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
Now, the fans come on, but there is no video on screen. tried an x300 and 8800gts, both work fine, but nothing. No beeps, nothing.
PSU worked perfect on my mother's computer.

Bjorn0

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Now, the fans come on, but there is no video on screen. tried an x300 and 8800gts, both work fine, but nothing. No beeps, nothing.
PSU worked perfect on my mother's computer.

I am willing to bet that you have a short somewhere. Usually a high pitched hum(well, usually it's more of a whine) indicates a voltage regulator working too hard. The smell certainly adds to that conclusion.

Make sure there are no screws or motherboard standoffs contacting the bottom of the board that does not have a screwhole over it. If there is nothing, take the board out of the case and try powering it on outside of the case. Make sure you are not doing this on something that can potentially create static charge (I like to use cardboard). If the whining stops and the board works fine, there is something in the case that is causing it.

If that does nothing, let us know, we will have to delve deeper.

miket733

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
There were 6 unused risers under the mobo! YIKES! took them out, everything is good now! Thank you for the help everyone!