Suddently Silent PC

carole

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003

I enjoy Internet radio on my PC at work (DELL Optiplex GX260, running Win 2K
Pro), or I did until a week ago. The PC no longer utters any sounds,
including system sounds.
All diagnostics check out A-OK.
Multiple scans show no virus/worm infections; definitions are strictly kept
updated and security is tight. Anti-spyware programs are run daily.
The Dell Support folks say "...maybe try reinstalling Windows...."
I am resisting that step for now.
I doubt if it is my sound card because of the missing system sounds, but I
am posting in the remote chance someone else will have experienced a
"suddently silent PC."
The PC has a factory installed Creative SB Live Series WDM--all drivers have
been deleted and reinstalled fresh, with no effect.
Thanks.
Carole

Are the speakers turned on and plugged in?

"Carole" wrote:

> I enjoy Internet radio on my PC at work (DELL Optiplex GX260, running Win 2K
> Pro), or I did until a week ago. The PC no longer utters any sounds,
> including system sounds.
> All diagnostics check out A-OK.
> Multiple scans show no virus/worm infections; definitions are strictly kept
> updated and security is tight. Anti-spyware programs are run daily.
> The Dell Support folks say "...maybe try reinstalling Windows...."
> I am resisting that step for now.
> I doubt if it is my sound card because of the missing system sounds, but I
> am posting in the remote chance someone else will have experienced a
> "suddently silent PC."
> The PC has a factory installed Creative SB Live Series WDM--all drivers have
> been deleted and reinstalled fresh, with no effect.
> Thanks.
> Carole

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

the top list of causes in order of occurance in my experience:
the sounds are muted on the volume control (often caused by keyboard button)
the speakers themselves are turned down
the speaker power is off or unplugged (don't overlook this, those cubes fall
out of ups outlets!)
the speaker audio cord is unplugged (usually from moving the speakers or
machine)
the speaker audio cord is broke (often pinched in something)
the speaker power supply is broke
the speakers are broke
the sound card is broke
the drivers are bad

"Carole" <Carole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I enjoy Internet radio on my PC at work (DELL Optiplex GX260, running Win
>2K
> Pro), or I did until a week ago. The PC no longer utters any sounds,
> including system sounds.
> All diagnostics check out A-OK.
> Multiple scans show no virus/worm infections; definitions are strictly
> kept
> updated and security is tight. Anti-spyware programs are run daily.
> The Dell Support folks say "...maybe try reinstalling Windows...."
> I am resisting that step for now.
> I doubt if it is my sound card because of the missing system sounds, but I
> am posting in the remote chance someone else will have experienced a
> "suddently silent PC."
> The PC has a factory installed Creative SB Live Series WDM--all drivers
> have
> been deleted and reinstalled fresh, with no effect.
> Thanks.
> Carole

carole

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003

Dave -- thanks for your input.

All possible places the sound could be muted have been checked; mute is not
on.
Speakers are on and when tested on another PC, work fine; still did not work
on my PC.
Also, the system sounds are not present, and they do not require auxiliary
speakers, or even a sound card, right?
Drivers have been deleted and replaced.
The computer management shows the sound card as "working properly."
Sigh.
Carole

"Dave" wrote:

> the top list of causes in order of occurance in my experience:
> the sounds are muted on the volume control (often caused by keyboard button)
> the speakers themselves are turned down
> the speaker power is off or unplugged (don't overlook this, those cubes fall
> out of ups outlets!)
> the speaker audio cord is unplugged (usually from moving the speakers or
> machine)
> the speaker audio cord is broke (often pinched in something)
> the speaker power supply is broke
> the speakers are broke
> the sound card is broke
> the drivers are bad
>
> "Carole" <Carole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I enjoy Internet radio on my PC at work (DELL Optiplex GX260, running Win
> >2K
> > Pro), or I did until a week ago. The PC no longer utters any sounds,
> > including system sounds.
> > All diagnostics check out A-OK.
> > Multiple scans show no virus/worm infections; definitions are strictly
> > kept
> > updated and security is tight. Anti-spyware programs are run daily.
> > The Dell Support folks say "...maybe try reinstalling Windows...."
> > I am resisting that step for now.
> > I doubt if it is my sound card because of the missing system sounds, but I
> > am posting in the remote chance someone else will have experienced a
> > "suddently silent PC."
> > The PC has a factory installed Creative SB Live Series WDM--all drivers
> > have
> > been deleted and reinstalled fresh, with no effect.
> > Thanks.
> > Carole

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

system sounds normally play through the sound card like any other wave
files. the only exception might be default beeps if there is no sound card
at all, in which case they might play through the mother board's speaker if
there is one... in any case that would be a completely different process
than playing wave files.

i would remove the sound card from the device manager, then shutdown and
physically remove the card, reboot, shutdown, reinstall the card and reboot
to let it add the software from scratch. if that doesn't do it then replace
the card.

> Dave -- thanks for your input.
>
> All possible places the sound could be muted have been checked; mute is
> not
> on.
> Speakers are on and when tested on another PC, work fine; still did not
> work
> on my PC.
> Also, the system sounds are not present, and they do not require auxiliary
> speakers, or even a sound card, right?
> Drivers have been deleted and replaced.
> The computer management shows the sound card as "working properly."
> Sigh.
> Carole
>

> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> the top list of causes in order of occurance in my experience:
>> the sounds are muted on the volume control (often caused by keyboard
>> button)
>> the speakers themselves are turned down
>> the speaker power is off or unplugged (don't overlook this, those cubes
>> fall
>> out of ups outlets!)
>> the speaker audio cord is unplugged (usually from moving the speakers or
>> machine)
>> the speaker audio cord is broke (often pinched in something)
>> the speaker power supply is broke
>> the speakers are broke
>> the sound card is broke
>> the drivers are bad
>>
>> "Carole" <Carole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I enjoy Internet radio on my PC at work (DELL Optiplex GX260, running
>> >Win
>> >2K
>> > Pro), or I did until a week ago. The PC no longer utters any sounds,
>> > including system sounds.
>> > All diagnostics check out A-OK.
>> > Multiple scans show no virus/worm infections; definitions are strictly
>> > kept
>> > updated and security is tight. Anti-spyware programs are run daily.
>> > The Dell Support folks say "...maybe try reinstalling Windows...."
>> > I am resisting that step for now.
>> > I doubt if it is my sound card because of the missing system sounds,
>> > but I
>> > am posting in the remote chance someone else will have experienced a
>> > "suddently silent PC."
>> > The PC has a factory installed Creative SB Live Series WDM--all drivers
>> > have
>> > been deleted and reinstalled fresh, with no effect.
>> > Thanks.
>> > Carole

Sounds to me like a defective soundboard, did you try using another soundcard ?