Home-user backups using portable harddisks

ehdr

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
I'm trying to solve my backup-situation at home. I want a solution where I can backup everything from my Debian GNU/Linux desktop and laptop computers, including some 20-30 GB of music and other media, and keep at least a monthly-or-so backup "off-site".

My latest idea is to buy two (to begin with) portable hard drives of about 100 GB each, do backups to one of them and have the other one stored away in a safe deposit box, switching them once per month or every two weeks or whatever.

I'm wondering if anyone else has done something similar, or has any comments about it.

I am aware that switching once a month is probably not often enough and all that, but I'm not sure I care, at least not to begin with. The data does not change that much, and it's not like they are mission critical machines in any way (I'm a student at the moment). I primarily want to keep safe from the disaster of getting my computer stolen and thereby losing half a life time of music, photos, etc.

Any ideas?

grant8844

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
Hi ehdr

The method you describe for backups is exactly what I do every month.
I also have a laptop computer in my network and back up to its HD when I am working on a critical project

ehdr

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
Nice to hear that I'm on to something good then! May I ask what kind of disks you use for this?

bullaRh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
lol ive been thinking exactly the same! i would have 2 external and then store it at my parents and update it once a while in case of thiefs or fire cuz im definitely aint gonna loose my music or pictures/media i used so many hours on through the years :)

i also thought about that one with the deposit box but it isnt national security i got on so :p i'll be alright lol =D

ehdr

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
Yeah, same here. The only reason why I'll keep it in my safe deposit box is that I can't store it at my parents for various reasons, and have no other off-site place where I can keep my garbage... ;)