keep loosing charge on ipaq

March 24, 2005 4:43:24 PM

Im not sure whats going on here, but, I currently are running tomtom
navigation on my ipaq... and I have it constantly charged when using it in
the car. Its happened about 6-7 times, that if I leave it in the cradle,
switched off, well the screen is totally off, for a week or so, when i go
to switch it back on, its dead... I seem to loose all my data and have to
restore, which is a right pain, if its every few weeks...

can anyone help.. do i need specific settings on, or do i need to send it
back for repair????

this has been over a period of about 7 months.

More about : loosing charge ipaq

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 4:43:25 PM

"natalia woloseckyj via PocketPCJunkies.com" <forum@PocketPCJunkies.com>
wrote in message
> Im not sure whats going on here, but, I currently are running tomtom
> navigation on my ipaq... and I have it constantly charged when using it in
> the car. Its happened about 6-7 times, that if I leave it in the cradle,
> switched off, well the screen is totally off, for a week or so, when i go
> to switch it back on, its dead... I seem to loose all my data and have to
> restore, which is a right pain, if its every few weeks...
>
> can anyone help.. do i need specific settings on, or do i need to send it
> back for repair????
>
> this has been over a period of about 7 months.

Sounds like the power to the cradle is off when the car is off. Now, when
the power is off to a pocket PC the unit has only about 3 days or so of
standby (adjustable) before it runs out of power and the unit is dead, just
like a hard reset.

Remember, ram requires power to maintain its state. Flash ram, rom, etc
does not, but you pay the price in speed and has a limited lifetime of use,
making it not the best medium for an operating stack. You hit the nail on
the head when you said, "Well the screen is totally off", since there are
things happening within a PPC on standby that keeps the memory fresh, works
timers, etc.

No easy solution, unless you want to give the PPC power from the car battery
all the time. Once it is charged only a trickle will keep it running for a
long time, I don't think you would notice it.

Good Luck
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 4:43:25 PM

Natalia - it's my understanding that the PPC isn't
really "off", just in a suspend mode, as you said "the
screen is off". If you don't keep the PPC charged, you
will loose all info stored in RAM, which is lost without
power.

You state you leave the PPC on the charger, does the
charging light blink when it's on the cradle? If not,
the PPC should be charged for at least a couple hours
every day.

Sorry if you already know all this - but it's best to be
safe, not everyone is a PPC pro!!

HTH,

Xfiler.
..

March 24, 2005 6:38:04 PM

natalia woloseckyj via PocketPCJunkies.com wrote:
> Im not sure whats going on here, but, I currently are running tomtom
> navigation on my ipaq... and I have it constantly charged when using it in
> the car. Its happened about 6-7 times, that if I leave it in the cradle,
> switched off, well the screen is totally off, for a week or so, when i go
> to switch it back on, its dead... I seem to loose all my data and have to
> restore, which is a right pain, if its every few weeks...
>
> can anyone help.. do i need specific settings on, or do i need to send it
> back for repair????
>
> this has been over a period of about 7 months.

Is the iPAQ still connected to the GPS antenna whilst in the cradle and
"off"? If so, then it's probably that which is draining the battery.

I use mine with a Navman sleeve and that can drain the battery in just a
few hours.

HTH

--
Regards

Steve G
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 12:13:30 AM

"xTenn" <xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote in message
news:o SUVHwJMFHA.436@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

| "natalia woloseckyj via PocketPCJunkies.com"
<forum@PocketPCJunkies.com>
| wrote in message
| > Im not sure whats going on here, but, I currently are running
tomtom
| > navigation on my ipaq... and I have it constantly charged when
using it in
| > the car. Its happened about 6-7 times, that if I leave it in the
cradle,
| > switched off, well the screen is totally off, for a week or so,
when i go
| > to switch it back on, its dead... I seem to loose all my data and
have to
| > restore, which is a right pain, if its every few weeks...
| >
| > can anyone help.. do i need specific settings on, or do i need to
send it
| > back for repair????
| >
| > this has been over a period of about 7 months.
| >

| Sounds like the power to the cradle is off when the car is off. Now,
when
| the power is off to a pocket PC the unit has only about 3 days or so
of
| standby (adjustable) before it runs out of power and the unit is
dead, just
| like a hard reset.

That is a bit of a broad statement and may not be correct for the OP's
machine.

The length of time will vary depending on the age of the ppc, and the
type. My Asus has been not been charged for 3 days, has been on for 2
hours, and has 70% charge left.
This is a new battery, the old one rapidly dropped to about 70-80% (in
minutes) and the machine would run for around 4 hours before becoming
flat.

Perhaps removing it from the cradle may help, there may be an
additional current draw while it is connected- cards can also draw
current/reduce battery life while connected too. It's worth trying
anyway as it will not cost any money.

It may be worth seeing what battery life is under normal circumstances
and asking a service agent/the manufacturers if they think the battery
needs replacing after giving this information. Use of a utility like
battery monitor (www.pdawin.com) will graph use v charge, and estimate
remaining battery life as well as giving running and suspend time so
may be useful.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 12:13:31 AM

"alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 1vb9b$g40$2@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...

> "xTenn" <xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote in message
> news:o SUVHwJMFHA.436@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> |
>> |Sounds like the power to the cradle is off when the car is off. Now,
>> when the power is off to a pocket PC the unit has only about 3 days or
>> is dead, just like a hard reset.
>

> That is a bit of a broad statement and may not be correct for the OP's
> machine.

Well, I did say "or so" <g>, and of course I was referring to new machines,
not older machines that may have less than great batteries. I also stated
that it was adjustable, but was taking into account the default setting of
72 hours in Windows Mobile 2003 SE. Also it might be good to note that I was
referring to a Pocket PC, not a smart phone, etc. and stated as such.

A fully charged unit will of course take longer to reach this threshold.
However, since in the OP I do not know for certain how long the drive would
be that provided the charge interval it would be ludicrous to assume that
the unit was indeed fully charged once the key was turned off. So, true to
engineering form I instead quoted the worse case scenario, which as I stated
above in default Mobile 2003 SE was 72 hours.

Quite simple, really. Just confusing if you take it out of context.
!