Network disappearing act?

tnehpets

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Hi all,

Periodically I lose the wireless connection to the router on both a laptop and a desktop. I've switched routers, but still this happens. When I scan for available networks, I get some other networks, but not all - and most importantly - not mine.

I figure it's got to be radio interference - there are sometimes a dozen wireless networks in my neighbourhood. Is there any way I can modify the radio settings on my router to make the signal more reliable? Distance isn't an issue.

I have a Dlink 624 and a Linksys WRT54GS
---
Steve

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Run a netstumbler scan for 10 min or so. Then look to see what chanels they are using and what signal strength they are at. Then see if you can pick a chanel with less interference.

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
You can also force a default network to choose from too. Enable some security and have that network as your default. It will automatically choose that network when available. Then you can also take off connect to any available network. That will celar up some problems.

ConsciousTech

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
You can also force a default network to choose from too. Enable some security and have that network as your default. It will automatically choose that network when available. Then you can also take off connect to any available network. That will celar up some problems.

This won't lower interference. Although it is a very smart thing to do.

As Blue stated find out what Channel the majority of networks are running in your neighboorhood then preset the router/computers to call on a less common channel. This way the majority of frequency interference isn't picked up.

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I see, I am just not too familiar with interference due to not having to deal with many people around me, I live in a very rural community.

ConsciousTech

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Lot of people from the lower 48 have issues when they move up here for about 1 or 2 winters, then they kinda get used to it. All depends on what part of AK you live too.

Talk about the two of us being off topic =) Thread hijacking at its finest!

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Talk about the two of us being off topic =) Thread hijacking at its finest!

:p

I live in Mass and it is too freaking cold for me up here as it is. I need to move to some place warm all the time and sunny.