New 7600GS [AGP] Problem.. :(

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Got myself a xFx 7600GS agp version for christmas..

i had a 6600GT, it burnt out, installed a FX5200 for backup.. then today, i uninstalled the Graphics driver, then plugged the 7600gs in.

When the desktop came up... my screen went black.. then it said "input not supported" then my desktop came back..

i said.. ok, so i clicked on the file to install the driver, boom, did it again and this time, it stayed on the "input not supported" black screen.. like my monitor disconnected or something, i pressed Alt+F4.. and boom, i was at my desktop again..

I even got WoW up and running for about 5 seconds then my screen went black and my monitor, again, said "input not supported" or something like that..

MSI Neo 2 platinum motherboard
2Gigs pc3200 GEIL ram (4x512)
AMD Athlon 3500+ 64 bit
Sata 80 gig hard drive
450 Watt power supply it says peak is 450, not a "name" brand
Geforce 7600GS..

I am thinking my Gcard isnt getting enough juice.. so everytime i go to open a program that takes more juice, i lose my screen for about 5 seconds..

i tried playing a video on windows media, screen went black.. and stayed like that saying that input thing..

Any ideas? its christmas and i really want this computer running :)

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I dont think I can help that much but here

Did you check that your monitor is in the right resolution and refresh rate? I mean supported resolution and refresh rate by your monitor.

Also, that sounds like a bad uninstallation of drivers. I suggest you uninstall them and make sure they are gone completely. Once you know you got rid of them install the last version from NVIDIA site (make sure you DONT get the ones for 8800 series ;)

Hey, BTW does your card need power from the power supply? make sure is connected properly or else that might be causing black screens or shut downs.

Hope that helps in something

doubletake33

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
It may be the amps on that 450 watt psu ya got. for instance the bfg 7600gs agp cards require a minimum of 20amps on the +12v rail. even tho you're sportin 450w psu, the +12v amps may be still low especially if your runnin multiple hard drives couple of burners and what not.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
You can also try this...

Make sure the power connector in the video card comes straight from the power supply and that is NOT shared with any hard drive or cd-rom ;)