I copied my Win2K install. . .

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 28, 2005 6:13:02 PM

from one HD to another. Now it doesn't run (it boots but, after login, I get
a grey screen).

I'm guessing the permissions didn't copy correctly (I used a Win2K install
to perform the copy from NTFS to NTFS).

What can I do get this system usable or am I hosed?

-Jim

More about : copied win2k install

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 8:08:05 PM

Install has no copy feature that I am aware of. Sounds like you did a new
install to the 2nd hard drive.

You will need to post if both drives are in the system and exactly what
steps you took for the install.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 9:56:02 PM

"Joshua Bolton" wrote:

> Install has no copy feature that I am aware of. Sounds like you did a new
> install to the 2nd hard drive.

No, I actually copied the /WINNT directory from one physical drive (C: NTSF)
to the second partition of another physical drive (E: NTSF). I did do a
fresh install to the first partition of the second drive (D: NTSF). I used
this fresh install the perform the copy.

Now E:/WINNT boots off the boot loader on D:, and I get a login screen,
but, after I login I get a grey screen that kicks me out to the login after a
minute or two.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 8:49:16 PM

I don't know if this installation will ever work correctly as this is not a
supported method to install Windows, but try the steps in Knowledge Base
article 249321 Unable to Log on if the Boot Partition Drive Letter Has
Changed (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=249321) and see if you are able to
get to a Desktop.

Kevin McNiel, MCSE/MCSA
Platform Server Setup Group

Please reply to the Group only, This address cannot receive incoming
messages.

!