Upgrade ideas

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 25, 2006 3:34:19 PM

Hello,

This is my first post although I regularly visit this site.

Here is the issue.

Obviously, you lot would be aware of the free upgrade to vista if you buy an OEM XP before 31st Jan, sounds great. It caught my eye because you kind of get the best of both worlds. If Vista does turn out to be a "Windows ME" (I don't think it will, but stranger things have happened!), you can just reinstall XP and obviously you've only paid for one license.

Now, I use my PC primarily for web-design / PHP / office work etc. No games & stuff (what are consoles for?).

Right now I've got a 900Mhz PC, you should be able to figure out the rest of the specs!

What I want to do is upgrade to:

A good Motherboard
The cheapest CPU (celeron / sempron)
1GB RAM

My questions:

1. I am not an overclocker / enthusiast. Apart from making sure my motherboard has support for the various components and sockets etc. why should I go for a 'better', more expensive motherboard?

Is there any difference between a £50 and £100 one? (which both satisfy my socket / ports requirements)

2. I want to get a better CPU later in maybe a year or so, without having to upgrade the motherboard.
Which platform should I go for AMD / Intel
Which one has better future upgradeability i.e. which socket will last longest?
I am not bothered if a certain chip gives me 5FPS more than the other as mentioned before, I don't play games.

3. Will I be allowed to reactivate windows (OEM) after a CPU upgrade?

To summarize:

1. Why should I go for a good motherboard?
2. Which CPU provides or will provide better CPU's ie. quad core etc. using the same socket so it will work with the motherboard I buy today?
3. Is reactivating windows possible with a change of CPU?

Help would be much appreciated and any url's would be great if these questions have been answered before.

Thanks for your time.

AG!

More about : upgrade ideas

December 25, 2006 4:09:48 PM

Quote:

2. Which CPU provides or will provide better CPU's ie. quad core etc. using the same socket so it will work with the motherboard I buy today?

first of all, STAY AWAY FROM CELERONS AND SEPRONS! there the worst cpus that you could get, low performance for way to much cash.

1. The mobo is like the backbone of your pc, if you go with crap you will suffer. its like buying a car with all top of the line parts, but the frame is made out of plastic and tin foil.

2. Get a low end core 2 duo, with an E6300 you'll get 20 times the performance then if you went with a celie D or a low end amd cpu.

3. yeah, you can switch out the cpu and windows will still work, but if you change the mobo you'll have to do a reinstall. another reason why you should get a quality mobo.

whats you budget for this pc?

this is the mobo, cpu and ram i would suggest for your uses, give us your budget so we have a better understanding of what we have to work with. all prices in USD

E6300 - $189

Asus P5B - $128

Corsair ValueSelect 1gb - $104
December 25, 2006 4:38:07 PM

Quote:
Hello,

This is my first post although I regularly visit this site.

Here is the issue.

Obviously, you lot would be aware of the free upgrade to vista if you buy an OEM XP before 31st Jan, sounds great. It caught my eye because you kind of get the best of both worlds. If Vista does turn out to be a "Windows ME" (I don't think it will, but stranger things have happened!), you can just reinstall XP and obviously you've only paid for one license.

Now, I use my PC primarily for web-design / PHP / office work etc. Nogames & stuff (what are consoles for?).

Right now I've got a 900Mhz PC, you should be able to figure out the rest of the specs!

What I want to do is upgrade to:

A good Motherboard
The cheapest CPU (celeron / sempron)
1GB RAM

My questions:

1. I am not an overclocker / enthusiast. Apart from making sure my motherboard has support for the various components and sockets etc. why should I go for a 'better', more expensive motherboard?

Is there any difference between a £50 and £100 one? (which both satisfy my socket / ports requirements)

2. I want to get a better CPU later in maybe a year or so, without having to upgrade the motherboard.
Which platform should I go for AMD / Intel
Which one has better future upgradeability i.e. which socket will last longest?
I am not bothered if a certain chip gives me 5FPS more than the other as mentioned before, I don't play games.

3. Will I be allowed to reactivate windows (OEM) after a CPU upgrade?

To summarize:

Help would be much appreciated and any url's would be great if these questions have been answered before.

Thanks for your time.

AG!

1 yes, you should spend more, because cheap motherboards are not just about skimping on sockets\ports, and using a via chipset instead of an intel or Nforce, VRM's on them are also low quality, capacitors are usually of low quality too, which could lead to processor or other component death randomly, as well as just instability. granted from what you do, you look like you would never actually push your computer really hard so it may not matter. but generally, around $60-$80 usd (idk how that translates into euros) will get you a decent dependable motherboard. often the difference between lets say a no name motherboard manufacturer and an Asus $70 el cheepo model, is usually in the parts used, and the quality of those parts. a

good example of this, is a friend of mine recently bought a new computer, and he bought an el cheepo (i think it was a biostar he paid like $30 for it) motherboard, and a video card, and he cant seem to get the dvi port on the video card to work, so we tried it in my motherboard (a $86 jetway) and it worked without a hitch.

2. i would go socket LGA 775, pick up a cheap celeron or pentium D, then later get a conroe. this is another reason to spend more on a motherboard, because if you get one that supports the quad core core 2's then you have a long upgrade path for yourself (most el cheepo models wont support conroes, because they skimp on the VRM, and even if it did, i wouldn't trust a $40 motherboard with what is currently a $1500 proc) .

otherwise AM2 is not a terrible choice, and it will supposedly support quad core as well. but i wouldnt lean to much in that direction because they arent even out yet, and i myself have doubts about them challenging core 2's.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 25, 2006 4:43:35 PM

Hello Thanks for your help.

I'm from the UK, and I use the following

www.aria.co.uk
www.scan.co.uk

My budget is around £200.

I thought all processors which supported core 2 duo, supported core 2 quads?

Thanks again
December 25, 2006 5:16:19 PM

they "should" support quads, again, my buddies motherboard "should" have supported a video card with dual outs (it wouldn't even work at the BIOS level, after everything i tried it was clearly a hardware incompatibility) i have had so much trouble from el cheepo motherboards that i dont even bother with them. again tho i mess with parts, and push them really hard, and i often break them too, so you may never experience some things, but even if i didn't mess with parts, not being able to dual screen with my video card would %$%# me off.
December 25, 2006 5:33:32 PM
a b B Homebuilt system
December 25, 2006 6:40:38 PM

Don't worry to much about what Apt403 said. He might have missed the part where you said

Quote:
I use my PC primarily for web-design / PHP / office work etc. No games & stuff

A celeron/sempron is more then enough for websurfing and programming work. Even worse, you have a low budget. Using a link you provided, here's what I came up with.

CPU http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=22617
Mobo http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=25714
RAM http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=23580

This comes out to 166pounds.(?) I'm hoping you can reuse your harddrive, case, powersupply, etc. The motherboard has onboard video so you don't need to worry about that. It also has a PCIe 16x slot for any future video needs. That motherboard also (claims to) supports C2D, so if/when you need that, you can upgrade without a motherboard swap. I quoted a 166 price by using the larger price (I assume VAT), and two sticks of ram. (dual channel) I don't believe it takes shipping into account. If you need to drop the price down, pick one of the celerons. I threw a lowend P4 in as the CPU so that you get the benefits of hyperthreading. (I'm trying to make this lowend, but not to lowend...) If the price is still to high, get only one stick of ram.

Good luck with your build.