Win2K constantly rebooting at startup

Howdy,
I recently used the "Load last good configuration" in the Win2K advanced
setup on startup, now everytime my laptop starts up it gets to the point just
before the logon screen and reboots itself, and this continues over and over,
is there a registry setting or something I can check to help correct this
problem. Also I don't get any "Blue screen of Death" so I don't think an
error is being thrown by the system.

--
Mr T

I don't know how much good this will do, but from a parallel install, run
regedt32.exe, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose Registry|Load Hive,
then navigate to the
%windir%\system32\config
directory on the other install, and find the system file, then Open, in the
Key Name box give it some temp name, then under tempname, navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select
and look in the Reg_Dword value of "Current", this is the current
controlset, then navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Control\CrashControl
Where x = the value of "Current" (found above) and set the values as follows

"AutoReboot"=dword:00000000
"CrashDumpEnabled"=dword:00000001
"LogEvent"=dword:00000001
"Overwrite"=dword:00000001
Then navigate back up to "tempname" and choose Unload Hive, and boot your
original install, Autoreboot is now turned off so you should be able to read
the stop error.

Bug Check Codes
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/BCIntro_f55acfed-3296-4e84-8885-c3162fd0ddbf.xml.asp

If nothing else you can at least recover your data from the parallel install
prior to rebuilding the operating system.

This article may also help you.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266465

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 06:10:06 -0700, Greatdude <Greatdude@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Howdy,
> I recently used the "Load last good configuration" in the Win2K advanced
>setup on startup, now everytime my laptop starts up it gets to the point just
>before the logon screen and reboots itself, and this continues over and over,
>is there a registry setting or something I can check to help correct this
>problem. Also I don't get any "Blue screen of Death" so I don't think an
>error is being thrown by the system.

If you have a recent System State Backup, you can boot the Recovery Console and copies the
System, Software, Sam, and Security hives from \Repair\Regback to \System32\Config