Help! My new box turns on but doesn't?

Cobaltbluemoon

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
I jt got my new box in the mail. Intel quad processor and Crossfire motherboard with 2 ATI 1950's and 2 gigs of ram.

It powers up but nothing happens. As in, it turns on, fans spin up, leds lit, etc. but no beeps warning beeps, no harddrive activity, no video signal. I checked cables, everything seems to be plugged in correctly. I pulled the ram and that gave me the first discernable beeps of life as the board realized it had none.

After Numerous power ons and offs it appeared to start loading XP and then locked up. I don't know what was different that time but I had it laying down checking out parts and then stood it up before powering on??? Tried to repeat this but nothing happens. Can't get tech support on the phone so it would be much appreciated if someone could help.

PixelPimP

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
I had a loose screw get behind the motherboard once when I laid my box in the front seat of my car.Got to friends house and acted funky like that.
It's worth checking if it was shipped built.
That's all I got,good luck.

Bjorn0

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I had a loose screw get behind the motherboard once when I laid my box in the front seat of my car.Got to friends house and acted funky like that.
It's worth checking if it was shipped built.
That's all I got,good luck.

On that note, a poorly placed MB standoff could do the same thing. Try powering it up outside the case on something non-conductive and not prone to static buildup(In other words, not on the carpet). I use cardboard myself. This way you are sure you are not shorting out somewhere.

Next, I would have to ask what brand of memory you are using with this build? I know the newer boards with DDR2 memory are very picky about what type of memory it will run stable on.

Actually, it would be nice to know what MB and PSU you are using as well.