Upgrade to 2000 Server

This should be an easy questions. I have 2000 Pro and want to upgrade to 2000
Server. Can I accomplish this with an upgrade or does it have to be a
re-install? I don't want to lose anything from my 2000 Pro box.

ineedhelp wrote:
> This should be an easy questions. I have 2000 Pro and want to upgrade to 2000
> Server. Can I accomplish this with an upgrade or does it have to be a
> re-install? I don't want to lose anything from my 2000 Pro box.

It'll have to be a clean re-installation, unless you want to create a
dual-boot scenario. There has never been a supported upgrade path or
method to move from a Microsoft workstation OS to a Microsoft server OS.

To preclude losing "anything," perform a complete backup of all of your
important data.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

I thought you could simply upgrade from professional to server unless it is
advanced server or Data Center, ????

Shah wrote:
> I thought you could simply upgrade from professional to server unless it is
> advanced server or Data Center, ????

I'm afraid not.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> Shah wrote:
>
>> I thought you could simply upgrade from professional to server unless
>> it is advanced server or Data Center, ????
>>

> I'm afraid not.

And besides, upgrades are nasty business and can lead to more problems
down the road. Performing a clean full installation on a formatted
drive is always the best bet. Like was mentioned, just backup your
data, install Win2k Server, and then restore your backups on the new
machine. Nothing hard about it.

---
Daniel Hicks

When replying, reply to group. Email will not be read or responded to.

While I agree with you 100% Daniel I just want to make sure no one
misunderstands - there's nothing hard about restoring data but all
applications will be lost and you must have theie setup disks or files to
reinstall the program (simply restoring their program folder won't work
except for a very very select few which don't have installs).

--
Nick Staff

Either I want to be a better person than I am
or I am a better person than I want to be.