Event ID: 5050 after Win2K3 SP1 Install

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 29, 2005 5:20:31 PM

As soon as I rebooted a Windows 2003 server after SP1 install I started
getting this error message:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: IAS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5050
Date: 4/22/2005
Time: 5:00:44 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HQIRA
The description for Event ID ( 5050 ) in Source ( IAS ) cannot be found. The
local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message
DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use
the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for
details. The following information is part of the event:
HQBKFAX.apawood.org, APA_NT.

The error repeats every 30 minutes or so. I could find nothing in TechNet
that gave me a clue where to look. All that was listed as DNS and it looks
OK.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Steve
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 6:39:51 PM

This article may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];312216

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Steve Gould" wrote:
| As soon as I rebooted a Windows 2003 server after SP1 install I started
| getting this error message:
|
| Event Type: Information
| Event Source: IAS
| Event Category: None
| Event ID: 5050
| Date: 4/22/2005
| Time: 5:00:44 PM
| User: N/A
| Computer: HQIRA
| The description for Event ID ( 5050 ) in Source ( IAS ) cannot be found.
The
| local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message
| DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to
use
| the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support
for
| details. The following information is part of the event:
| HQBKFAX.apawood.org, APA_NT.
|

| The error repeats every 30 minutes or so. I could find nothing in TechNet
| that gave me a clue where to look. All that was listed as DNS and it looks
| OK.
|
| Anyone have any suggestions?
|

| Steve

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 7:33:16 PM

No help. I assumed the auxsource should be the computer listed as part of
the event, but there was no change in the event info.

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> This article may help.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];312216
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Steve Gould" wrote:
> | As soon as I rebooted a Windows 2003 server after SP1 install I started
> | getting this error message:
> |
> | Event Type: Information
> | Event Source: IAS
> | Event Category: None
> | Event ID: 5050
> | Date: 4/22/2005
> | Time: 5:00:44 PM
> | User: N/A
> | Computer: HQIRA
> | The description for Event ID ( 5050 ) in Source ( IAS ) cannot be found.
> The
> | local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
> message
> | DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to
> use
> | the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support
> for
> | details. The following information is part of the event:
> | HQBKFAX.apawood.org, APA_NT.
> |

> | The error repeats every 30 minutes or so. I could find nothing in
> TechNet
> | that gave me a clue where to look. All that was listed as DNS and it
> looks
> | OK.
> |
> | Anyone have any suggestions?
> |

> | Steve

April 29, 2005 8:41:37 PM

Simply means the developer (IAS) provided a means to write to the event log,
but didn't provide a description for this event. This may not have anything
to do with the service failure. Check Device Manager for errors and or
non-starting devices.

http://apawood.org/
Seems strange.

--

"Steve Gould" wrote:
| No help. I assumed the auxsource should be the computer listed as part of
| the event, but there was no change in the event info.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 8:41:38 PM

No device errors or non-started services. I would also think (but know
better) that Microsoft would have the required info for their own IAS
service... :)

> Simply means the developer (IAS) provided a means to write to the event
> log,
> but didn't provide a description for this event. This may not have
> anything
> to do with the service failure. Check Device Manager for errors and or
> non-starting devices.
>
> http://apawood.org/
> Seems strange.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Steve Gould" wrote:
> | No help. I assumed the auxsource should be the computer listed as part
> of
> | the event, but there was no change in the event info.

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 9:08:59 PM

If you know the source of the service or driver then this might help. AFAIK
it is not part of the operating system.

--

"Steve Gould" wrote:
| No device errors or non-started services. I would also think (but know
| better) that Microsoft would have the required info for their own IAS
| service... :)
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 9:09:00 PM

IAS - Internet Authentication Service. This server hosts RRAS and IIS.

I'm off for the weekend now...

> If you know the source of the service or driver then this might help.
> AFAIK
> it is not part of the operating system.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Steve Gould" wrote:
> | No device errors or non-started services. I would also think (but know
> | better) that Microsoft would have the required info for their own IAS
> | service... :)

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 10:59:47 PM

You might ask them here.