Event ID: 5050
Date: 4/22/2005
Time: 5:00:44 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HQIRA
The description for Event ID ( 5050 ) in Source ( IAS ) cannot be found. The
local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message
DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use
the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for
details. The following information is part of the event:
HQBKFAX.apawood.org, APA_NT.

The error repeats every 30 minutes or so. I could find nothing in TechNet
that gave me a clue where to look. All that was listed as DNS and it looks
OK.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Steve
7 answers Last reply
More about event 5050 win2k3 install

    This article may help.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];312216

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Steve Gould" wrote:
    | As soon as I rebooted a Windows 2003 server after SP1 install I started
    | getting this error message:
    |
    | Event Type: Information
    | Event Source: IAS
    | Event Category: None
    | Event ID: 5050
    | Date: 4/22/2005
    | Time: 5:00:44 PM
    | User: N/A
    | Computer: HQIRA
    | The description for Event ID ( 5050 ) in Source ( IAS ) cannot be found.
    The
    | local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message
    | DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to
    use
    | the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support
    for
    | details. The following information is part of the event:
    | HQBKFAX.apawood.org, APA_NT.
    |

    | The error repeats every 30 minutes or so. I could find nothing in TechNet
    | that gave me a clue where to look. All that was listed as DNS and it looks
    | OK.
    |
    | Anyone have any suggestions?
    |

    | Steve

    No help. I assumed the auxsource should be the computer listed as part of
    the event, but there was no change in the event info.

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > This article may help.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];312216
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Steve Gould" wrote:
    > | As soon as I rebooted a Windows 2003 server after SP1 install I started
    > | getting this error message:
    > |
    > | Event Type: Information
    > | Event Source: IAS
    > | Event Category: None
    > | Event ID: 5050
    > | Date: 4/22/2005
    > | Time: 5:00:44 PM
    > | User: N/A
    > | Computer: HQIRA
    > | The description for Event ID ( 5050 ) in Source ( IAS ) cannot be found.
    > The
    > | local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
    > message
    > | DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to
    > use
    > | the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support
    > for
    > | details. The following information is part of the event:
    > | HQBKFAX.apawood.org, APA_NT.
    > |

    > | The error repeats every 30 minutes or so. I could find nothing in
    > TechNet
    > | that gave me a clue where to look. All that was listed as DNS and it
    > looks
    > | OK.
    > |
    > | Anyone have any suggestions?
    > |

    > | Steve

    Simply means the developer (IAS) provided a means to write to the event log,
    but didn't provide a description for this event. This may not have anything
    to do with the service failure. Check Device Manager for errors and or
    non-starting devices.

    http://apawood.org/
    Seems strange.

    --

    "Steve Gould" wrote:
    | No help. I assumed the auxsource should be the computer listed as part of
    | the event, but there was no change in the event info.

    No device errors or non-started services. I would also think (but know
    better) that Microsoft would have the required info for their own IAS
    service... :)

    > Simply means the developer (IAS) provided a means to write to the event
    > log,
    > but didn't provide a description for this event. This may not have
    > anything
    > to do with the service failure. Check Device Manager for errors and or
    > non-starting devices.
    >
    > http://apawood.org/
    > Seems strange.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Steve Gould" wrote:
    > | No help. I assumed the auxsource should be the computer listed as part
    > of
    > | the event, but there was no change in the event info.

    If you know the source of the service or driver then this might help. AFAIK
    it is not part of the operating system.

    --

    "Steve Gould" wrote:
    | No device errors or non-started services. I would also think (but know
    | better) that Microsoft would have the required info for their own IAS
    | service... :)

    IAS - Internet Authentication Service. This server hosts RRAS and IIS.

    I'm off for the weekend now...

    > If you know the source of the service or driver then this might help.
    > AFAIK
    > it is not part of the operating system.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Steve Gould" wrote:
    > | No device errors or non-started services. I would also think (but know
    > | better) that Microsoft would have the required info for their own IAS
    > | service... :)

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    You might ask them here.
    inetserver.iis

    --

    "Steve Gould" wrote:
    | IAS - Internet Authentication Service. This server hosts RRAS and IIS.
    |
    | I'm off for the weekend now...

Windows Server 2003 Computers Event Id Windows