Raid 5 with 1 raptor and 2 ata100 drives

First, here is my hardware list:

AMD Athlon64 3500+
1GB PC3200 Dual Channel (128bit)

74GB Raptor SATA 10,000RPM 8MB Cache
200GB ATA-100 7200RPM 8MB Cache
100GB ATA-100 7200RPM 8MB Cache

IDE - SATA Adapters

Would there be any performance gain using the IDE - SATA adapters and setting up a RAID-5 Array?

Also, if I were to buy 2 SATA-2 hard drives for a total of about $150 (less than 1 raptor by about $10 - $20) and upgrade my motherboard to support DDR2-800 and SATA2, would I see a performance increase or is it even possible to use RAID with 1 SATA1 raptor and 2 SATA2 drives? I am already planning to upgrade the Motherboard to a socket AM2.

I understand I will lose a lot of space with this setup. I also understand the raptor is almost twice as fast as the other two drives I have right now. But I'm not quite sure what happens when they are added to RAID.
3 answers Last reply
More about raid raptor ata100 drives
  1. I'm not sure it would work (ide and sata and different hdd sizes).
    2nd, chances of hdd failure have been decreasing; unless you have
    very important company data, I'd just back up the important files
    from time to time.
    3rd, Raptors are overrated. They are fast; but much more expensive
    than faster compared to other drives.
    4th, hdds are not capable of even reaching sata1's bandwidth
  2. raid 5 is not worth it unless you have more than 4 hard drives. forget about it.
  3. Your setup will only be as fast as your slowest component.....which is the 100GB ATA-100 7200RPM 8MB Cache drive, this drive will drag down the performances of other drives

In regards to setting up Raid-5, having the same drive, capacity, cache size is the way to go.....say 3 x 200GBs

You will see little or no benefits from general (office, internet browsing, gaming, etc.) tasks.

Real benefits show when you do a lot of large data processing on your PC such as video / photo / CAD work (2GB + data sizes).......
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NAS / RAID Raptor SATA Storage