Write signature for new disks. . .

Hi, all!

After loosing all my partitions and re-installing win2k and updating
everything, I am suddenly met with a wizard in disk-management, offering to
install 'Write signature and Upgrade Disk".

The explanation is that it upgrades empty basic disks to dynamic disks -
now, I haven't had an empty disk in windows for ages and I simply do not
know what this means.

It also warns that after the upgrade, I won't be able to use the disk with
earlier versions of Windows.

Do I care about any of this?
What are the implications?
Will I have any use for any of it?
What about Linux?

This all happened after trying to flash the BIOS, I couldn't find my Boot
floppy and was fiddling with almost everything I could find at the bottom of
the drawer. Win2k seems not to be able to make system boot floppys, so what
can anybody do - I imagine something must be floating around on the i-net?

Hope for help on this.

Regards, Tony. . .
1 answer Last reply
More about write signature disks

    "Tony Sperling" <tony.sperling@dbmail.dk> wrote in message
    > Hi, all!
    >
    > After loosing all my partitions and re-installing win2k and updating
    > everything, I am suddenly met with a wizard in disk-management, offering
    > install 'Write signature and Upgrade Disk".
    >
    > The explanation is that it upgrades empty basic disks to dynamic disks -
    > now, I haven't had an empty disk in windows for ages and I simply do not
    > know what this means.
    >
    > It also warns that after the upgrade, I won't be able to use the disk with
    > earlier versions of Windows.

    <snip>
    No, don't create a dynamic disk...
    just partition and format in the usual way through disk management

Windows