Where from do I control programs which automatically start..

aa

Where from do I control programs which automatically start up when w2k
starts?

aa wrote:
> Where from do I control programs which automatically start up when w2k
> starts?

In most cases, one need only open the offending program and
deselect the option to "display icon in the system tray" or to "start
when Windows starts."

To view the list of your start up programs, look in the
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up
folders, and in the system registry, primarily in the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys. These can
also be viewed, if I remember correctly, by right-clicking My
Computer, selecting "Manage" and expanding System Tools-- System
Information -- Software Environment -- Startup Programs. To prevent
any of them from starting at login, you'll have to delete shortcuts
from the startup folder(s) and/or edit the registry. I should point
out that, in order to make such system modifications requires one to
have administrative privileges to the machine in question. I should
also point out that one should not even consider editing the registry
unless he is fully confident that he knows exactly what is going to
happen as a result of each and every change.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

aa

Thanks
You offer two options to remove programmes from StarUp.

I have no experience with the Registry and do not know what is going to
happen - so I have to drop this option

BTW:
1. Neither of the application has the option to "display icon in the system
tray" or to "start when Windows starts."
2. In C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ I have no Start Menu
3. In C:\Documents and Settings\ I have Default User and Administrator.
Neither has Start Menu
I searched the whole PC for Startup and Start up and it found nothing (my
folder options are set to show hidden files and folders and Hide system
folders is unchecked)
4. The only way I can see these programs is MyComputer -- Manage-- System
Tools-- System Information -- Software Environment -- Startup Programs.
However it does not allow deleatinf from the list

What else can I do?

Give this a go.
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"aa" wrote:
| Thanks
| You offer two options to remove programmes from StarUp.
|
| I have no experience with the Registry and do not know what is going to
| happen - so I have to drop this option
|

| BTW:
| 1. Neither of the application has the option to "display icon in the
system
| tray" or to "start when Windows starts."
| 2. In C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ I have no Start Menu
| 3. In C:\Documents and Settings\ I have Default User and Administrator.
| Neither has Start Menu
| I searched the whole PC for Startup and Start up and it found nothing (my
| folder options are set to show hidden files and folders and Hide system
| folders is unchecked)
| 4. The only way I can see these programs is MyComputer -- Manage-- System
| Tools-- System Information -- Software Environment -- Startup Programs.
| However it does not allow deleatinf from the list
|

| What else can I do?

aa

Thanks, Dave
It looks like a third party software which removes entries from the Registry
If indeed there is not w2k buil-in tools to do that, then instead of
installing this program and then learn how to use it, it might be more
efficient to learn how to remove these entries from the Registry manually.
What is your opinion?

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> Give this a go.
> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "aa" wrote:
> | Thanks
> | You offer two options to remove programmes from StarUp.
> |
> | I have no experience with the Registry and do not know what is going to
> | happen - so I have to drop this option
> |

> | BTW:
> | 1. Neither of the application has the option to "display icon in the
> system
> | tray" or to "start when Windows starts."
> | 2. In C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ I have no Start Menu
> | 3. In C:\Documents and Settings\ I have Default User and Administrator.
> | Neither has Start Menu
> | I searched the whole PC for Startup and Start up and it found nothing
(my
> | folder options are set to show hidden files and folders and Hide system
> | folders is unchecked)
> | 4. The only way I can see these programs is MyComputer -- Manage--
System
> | Tools-- System Information -- Software Environment -- Startup Programs.
> | However it does not allow deleatinf from the list
> |

> | What else can I do?

Natively you can; Start\Settings\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer
Management(Local)\System Information\Software Environment\Startup
Programs|View|Advanced, then in the "Location" column, you'll find the path
to the "Startup" location either in the "Startup" directories or from the
registry's "Run" keys. (note that this windows is read-only so you must
manually navigate to the location below to edit or otherwise delete)

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

You can delete the shortcuts that you no longer want to run.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You can delete the string value for the program you no longer want to run.

or copy msconfig from Windows XP to the "windows" directory
or AutoRuns from sysinternals

"aa" wrote:
| Thanks, Dave
| It looks like a third party software which removes entries from the
Registry
| If indeed there is not w2k buil-in tools to do that, then instead of
| installing this program and then learn how to use it, it might be more
| efficient to learn how to remove these entries from the Registry manually.
| What is your opinion?

aa

Thanks, Dave, for detailed answer.

I managed to get to Start ....Programs|View|Advanced
It indeed shows AIM and ICQ and for both threre are location in the Registry
specified (no reference to Star Up is made however)

Using Regedit Iaccessed these locations and spotter relevant entries - are
thay whay you refer to as shortcuts?
Is it safe to dlete them?

> Natively you can; Start\Settings\Control Panel\Administrative
Tools\Computer
> Management(Local)\System Information\Software Environment\Startup
> Programs|View|Advanced, then in the "Location" column, you'll find the
path
> to the "Startup" location either in the "Startup" directories or from the
> registry's "Run" keys. (note that this windows is read-only so you must
> manually navigate to the location below to edit or otherwise delete)
>
> %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
> %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
>
> You can delete the shortcuts that you no longer want to run.
>

> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>
> You can delete the string value for the program you no longer want to run.
>
> or copy msconfig from Windows XP to the "windows" directory
> or AutoRuns from sysinternals
> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml
>

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "aa" wrote:
> | Thanks, Dave
> | It looks like a third party software which removes entries from the
> Registry
> | If indeed there is not w2k buil-in tools to do that, then instead of
> | installing this program and then learn how to use it, it might be more
> | efficient to learn how to remove these entries from the Registry
manually.
> | What is your opinion?

Shortcuts are files. In this case usually in the startup folders. Yes delete
them but back them up before hand. File|Export the keys in question.