File f22776.exe

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,symantec.support.winnt.nortonantivirus.general (More info?)

What is subject file and what does it do. Should I let NOrton delete it?

Thanks,

Tom D.
8 answers Last reply
More about file f22776
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Tom.

    Simply put, yes. That is not a system file, or even something I can find on
    a search of the web. The remaining possibility is a virus of some sort.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:39:47 -0500, Tom wrote:

    > What is subject file and what does it do. Should I let NOrton delete it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tom D.

    It's most likely a Trojan Downloader. As mentioned before, let Norton
    delete the file and you need to do a good scan of your system.

    Rush
    http://www.bythedrop.com
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,symantec.support.winnt.nortonantivirus.general (More info?)

    1) Download the following three items...

    Trend Sysclean Package

    Latest Trend signature files.

    Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Create a directory.
    On drive "C:\"
    (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
    or the desktop

    Download SYSCLEAN.COM and place it in that directory.
    Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
    For example; lpt359.zip

    SYSCLEAN.COM.

    2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
    3) If you are using WinME or WinXP, disable System Restore
    4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible.
    5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
    platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
    (a few cycles may be needed)
    6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
    Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
    7) If you are using WinME or WinXP,Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any
    System Restore preferences, (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
    8) Reboot your PC.
    9) If you are using WinME or WinXP, create a new Restore point

    Dave

    "Tom" <anntomdo@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    | What is subject file and what does it do. Should I let NOrton delete it?
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Tom D.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,symantec.support.winnt.nortonantivirus.general (More info?)

    A full NAV 2005 scan of my PC reports 4 AdWare files in
    c:/windows/downloaded program files, eg SahHtml_.exe. There are no files
    of those names in that directory. I suspect they're actually compressed
    components of one (or more) of the files in that directory. How can I
    find out which one(s)?

    I asked NAV support - the answers I got were very polite and completely
    useless.

    Thanks,

    Nigel
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,symantec.support.winnt.nortonantivirus.general (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:42:33 +0000, Nigel wrote:

    > A full NAV 2005 scan of my PC reports 4 AdWare files in
    > c:/windows/downloaded program files, eg SahHtml_.exe. There are no files
    > of those names in that directory. I suspect they're actually compressed
    > components of one (or more) of the files in that directory. How can I
    > find out which one(s)?
    >
    > I asked NAV support - the answers I got were very polite and completely
    > useless.

    Nigel, the "Downloaded Programs" folder is misleading. It doesn't show
    files and folders. It shows components that have been downloaded and
    installed. If you right click on any of the objects listed here, you can
    select Properties. The pages that appear give you a range of information
    about the item.

    On the "Dependency" tab is a list of the files involved and their location.
    NOTE: Most of the locations will be abbreviated. Example:
    C:\Windows\filename may show up as C:\Win...\filename. While it may be
    possible for something to hide in this folder, it's also likely that your
    antivirus is reporting a name of a file that is listed in one of the
    dependency sections.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    If you have compressed file in that particular directory you will have to
    expand them. As long as you don't run the files there should be no problem.
    Then just delete the entire zip/rar file and get rid of it.

    Too many off-color programs are installing adware and worms and viruses into
    their compressed files.

    I today bought a program from a reliable company. I installed it and lo and
    behold 2 instances of adware showed up on my desktop. Don't think I haven't
    complained about it. I've warned them that they run the risk of losing
    customers and worse being black-listed.

    Check any program you download carefully and set up and isolation directory
    away from your system disk.

    Good luck
    Regards
    werner
    "Nigel" <useweb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >A full NAV 2005 scan of my PC reports 4 AdWare files in
    >c:/windows/downloaded program files, eg SahHtml_.exe. There are no files of
    >those names in that directory. I suspect they're actually compressed
    >components of one (or more) of the files in that directory. How can I find
    >out which one(s)?
    >
    > I asked NAV support - the answers I got were very polite and completely
    > useless.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Nigel

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,symantec.support.winnt.nortonantivirus.general (More info?)

    Sharon F wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:42:33 +0000, Nigel wrote:
    >

    >>A full NAV 2005 scan of my PC reports 4 AdWare files in
    >>c:/windows/downloaded program files, eg SahHtml_.exe. There are no files
    >>of those names in that directory. I suspect they're actually compressed
    >>components of one (or more) of the files in that directory. How can I
    >>find out which one(s)?
    >>
    >>I asked NAV support - the answers I got were very polite and completely
    >>useless.
    >

    > Nigel, the "Downloaded Programs" folder is misleading. It doesn't show
    > files and folders. It shows components that have been downloaded and
    > installed. If you right click on any of the objects listed here, you can
    > select Properties. The pages that appear give you a range of information
    > about the item.
    >
    > On the "Dependency" tab is a list of the files involved and their location.
    > NOTE: Most of the locations will be abbreviated. Example:
    > C:\Windows\filename may show up as C:\Win...\filename. While it may be
    > possible for something to hide in this folder, it's also likely that your
    > antivirus is reporting a name of a file that is listed in one of the
    > dependency sections.

    Hi Sharon,

    Thanks for your help. I had just about made it that far on my own, but
    the rogues aren't listed amongst the dependencies.

    I followed the instructions on the Symantec website about editing the
    registry and deleting the files associated with the AdWare, apart from
    the ones mentioned above. Does that mean my PC is now AdWare-free and
    the files flagged by NAV now serve only as an 'audit trail'?

    Nigel
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,symantec.support.winnt.nortonantivirus.general (More info?)

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:53:06 +0000, Nigel wrote:

    > Hi Sharon,
    >
    > Thanks for your help. I had just about made it that far on my own, but
    > the rogues aren't listed amongst the dependencies.
    >
    > I followed the instructions on the Symantec website about editing the
    > registry and deleting the files associated with the AdWare, apart from
    > the ones mentioned above. Does that mean my PC is now AdWare-free and
    > the files flagged by NAV now serve only as an 'audit trail'?

    I think it would be safe to assume that the reference is a leftover. You
    can use DIR /A command in a command prompt window if you want to check.
    Start> Run> CMD. Work your way over to the windows folder. Then type DIR /A
    and press enter. Next type:
    CD downloaded program files
    Press enter. Then DIR again and you'll get a list of any actual files in
    this location. Most will be INF files but if there is a file hiding here,
    you'll be able to see it and delete it.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Support Symantec Microsoft Norton Windows XP