Sign in with
Your question

"--nameserver=" IP address cannot be in the loopback network?

Last response: in Business Computing
June 11, 2011 7:48:32 PM

I am trying to install VMware ESXi on a Dell PowerEdge R300, but I get this error when I try to:

Error (see log for more info):
An error occurred while parsing the installation script.
error:/ks.cfg:line 5: "--nameserver=" IP address cannot be in the loopback network?

I have no idea what that means or where to find the log.
June 12, 2011 1:47:54 PM

Not 100% sure, but I do know the local loopback is 127.0.0.1 So I would check and make sure it's not trying to use that address.
June 12, 2011 4:20:02 PM

Im at 90% sure that is not the IP of the box, unless this is a different IP we are talking about. Any idea how I would look to see/change what IP it is trying to use?

Honestly, this is my first time I have played with VMs, so i'm kind of a noob. sorry for any stupid questions...
June 13, 2011 3:23:34 PM

Are you installing with any boot commands or doing a scripted install? It looks like you are......try just doing the default installation for now. What IP address are you assigning?

August 27, 2011 5:44:20 AM

You messed up the config buddy :) . I'll give you a hint it has to do with the IP address.

127.0.0.1 is the loopback address for any network card. It's a useful tool for testing if your network card is operating. A little known fact is that it's not just 127.0.0.1 its the entire 127.0.0.0/8 subnet.

:D  have fun my friend :D 
!