Customer Service

Last response: in Network Providers
December 5, 2004 9:21:05 PM

Well, Cingular is still doing the business day and part of Saturday customer
service.

Their web site is not working properly today and a call to 611 tells me I have
to wait until tomorrow or go to their non-working web site.

Damn them! They need 24/7 customer service.

--
John S.

More about : customer service

December 5, 2004 9:29:22 PM

On 05 Dec 2004 18:21:05 GMT, sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.)
wrote:

>Well, Cingular is still doing the business day and part of Saturday customer
>service.
>
>Their web site is not working properly today and a call to 611 tells me I have
>to wait until tomorrow or go to their non-working web site.

The security of the site is an issue with me. I'd rather have a site
that's not available at times, if at least it's secure - which
Cingular's is not.

>Damn them! They need 24/7 customer service.
>
>--
>John S.
>e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net

Yes, just one of my complaints about them. When I brought up the 24/7
thing to them, they gave me the old 'eventually, we plan to . . . "
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 9:29:23 PM

and up until about 6 months ago, they would exchange a non-working phone
right in the Cingular store. Then they moved to the mail order service. In
my opinion, they've been hammering the bottom line in the executive board
room, and customer service was one of the first areas to be targeted for
reduction.

"George" <h_arle/yNO.SPAMd_avidso/n@mailcity.com> wrote in message
> On 05 Dec 2004 18:21:05 GMT, sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.)
> wrote:
>

>>Well, Cingular is still doing the business day and part of Saturday
>>customer
>>service.
>>
>>Their web site is not working properly today and a call to 611 tells me I
>>have
>>to wait until tomorrow or go to their non-working web site.
>
> The security of the site is an issue with me. I'd rather have a site
> that's not available at times, if at least it's secure - which
> Cingular's is not.
>

>>Damn them! They need 24/7 customer service.
>>
>>--
>>John S.
>>e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
>
> Yes, just one of my complaints about them. When I brought up the 24/7
> thing to them, they gave me the old 'eventually, we plan to . . . "

December 5, 2004 9:29:23 PM

George <h_arle/yNO.SPAMd_avidso/n@mailcity.com> wrote:
> The security of the site is an issue with me. I'd rather have a site
> that's not available at times, if at least it's secure - which
> Cingular's is not.

Eh? As a new Cingular customer I just registered on the web site today.
When I log in, I get https://www.myaccount.cingular.com/... with an SSL
secured symbol in my browser.

--
For mail, please use my surname where indicated:
steve@surname.reno.nv.us (Steve Brecher)

In article <53Jsd.40279$Ch2.8138@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,
"Steve Larson" <r@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

> and up until about 6 months ago, they would exchange a non-working phone
> right in the Cingular store. Then they moved to the mail order service. In
> my opinion, they've been hammering the bottom line in the executive board
> room, and customer service was one of the first areas to be targeted for
> reduction.

Thats what Sprint and AT&T did, and the Customer Service evaluations
suffered as a result.

Verizon and Nextel didn't and they win such evaluations every year now.
December 6, 2004 1:07:36 AM

Steve Brecher wrote:

> George <h_arle/yNO.SPAMd_avidso/n@mailcity.com> wrote:
>
>>The security of the site is an issue with me. I'd rather have a site
>>that's not available at times, if at least it's secure - which
>>Cingular's is not.
>

> Eh? As a new Cingular customer I just registered on the web site today.
> When I log in, I get https://www.myaccount.cingular.com/... with an SSL
> secured symbol in my browser.

It's always worked that way for me too. <shrug>

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
December 7, 2004 6:18:30 AM

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 22:07:36 -0600, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

>Steve Brecher wrote:
>
>> George <h_arle/yNO.SPAMd_avidso/n@mailcity.com> wrote:
>>
>>>The security of the site is an issue with me. I'd rather have a site
>>>that's not available at times, if at least it's secure - which
>>>Cingular's is not.
>>

>> Eh? As a new Cingular customer I just registered on the web site today.
>> When I log in, I get https://www.myaccount.cingular.com/... with an SSL
>> secured symbol in my browser.
>>

>It's always worked that way for me too. <shrug>
>
>--
>jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Sorry, you're both wrong if you think the site is secure.

See, the page, where you are asked to sign up, is not secure. I don't
remember how ATT's was, when I first signed up, but notice how you're
asked to enter you 10 digit, on a page that does NOT have the https.

OK? Do you see that ? That is NOT a secured page, onto which you're
being asked to enter your 10 digit, to being registration..

Now, clear your browser's cache, and go to

http://www.paypal.com

ENTER IT EXACTLY AS SHOWN with the http:// AND NOT "https://"

Then, don't log in if you have ann account, just try to get to
paypal's main page.

Now, see how it changed to "HTTPS:" instead of the "HTTP:" you just
entered?

Ah, a secure site.

I'll answer your next question, now.

It's a big deal TO ME because my 10 digit is personal info, and I
only give it to persons I trust. And this site expects me to enter it
onto a page without the https: ?

Let me scratch my head to get my 2 brain cells going, and I'll get
back to you on that.

Cingular failed yet again - imagine that.
December 7, 2004 6:18:31 AM

=====================
>>>Eh? As a new Cingular customer I just registered on the web site
today.
>>>When I log in, I get https://www.myaccount.cingular.com/... with an SSL
>>>secured symbol in my browser.
=====================

This is the URL we were discussing....

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous

Not sure how secure the site is but most of the time it will not allow me to
login.
Latest message is:

ERROR L111: We're sorry, but we are experiencing a temporary system error
that prevents us from retrieving your account information. Please wait a
moment and try again.

I follow the instructions but same result.

Maybe if I was a hacker I would have better luck ?

Could be the site is too unreliable for a hacker to mess with ?

After a year of works some of time I think they should fire the staft or
contractor and start over.

By the way the prepaid site has been solid the past year. The same site is
used by Boost and it has been up and fast with current info. It is strange
the prepaid side gets a rock solid site simple but works and post paid gets
the leading edge but slow and unreliable.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 8:28:12 AM

In <I-2dnU_wleRUoSjcRVn-rA@pghconnect.com> on Mon, 6 Dec 2004 23:19:03 -0600,
"Stanley Reynolds" <nospam_stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Not sure how secure the site is but most of the time it will not allow me to
>login.
>Latest message is:
>
>ERROR L111: We're sorry, but we are experiencing a temporary system error
>that prevents us from retrieving your account information. Please wait a
>moment and try again.
>
>I follow the instructions but same result.
>
>Maybe if I was a hacker I would have better luck ?
>
>Could be the site is too unreliable for a hacker to mess with ?
>
>After a year of works some of time I think they should fire the staft or
>contractor and start over.

This is post-merger, and much shorter period of time, and is the result of
some very difficult work.

December 7, 2004 8:28:13 AM

> This is post-merger, and much shorter period of time, and is the result of
> some very difficult work.

Not sure of the quote but president Bush said that this was "very hard work"
in reference to the war in Iraq that I believe that. If keeping a web site
up is "very difficult work" then it says the people doing this may need to
be replaced with someone that can do it no problem. I think most web sites
just work but not Cingular and this has been a problem the past year
pre-merger.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 8:47:23 AM

In article <Mbbtd.9858$_3.116083@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> In <I-2dnU_wleRUoSjcRVn-rA@pghconnect.com> on Mon, 6 Dec 2004 23:19:03 -0600,
> "Stanley Reynolds" <nospam_stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Not sure how secure the site is but most of the time it will not allow me to
> >login.
> >Latest message is:
> >
> >ERROR L111: We're sorry, but we are experiencing a temporary system error
> >that prevents us from retrieving your account information. Please wait a
> >moment and try again.
> >
> >I follow the instructions but same result.
> >
> >Maybe if I was a hacker I would have better luck ?
> >
> >Could be the site is too unreliable for a hacker to mess with ?
> >
> >After a year of works some of time I think they should fire the staft or
> >contractor and start over.
>
> This is post-merger, and much shorter period of time, and is the result of
> some very difficult work.

But Navas said it would be easy to handle this merger.

Oct 29, 8:39 am show options
Newsgroups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws
From: John Navas
Subject: Re: Going from ATTWS to Cingular
Reply| Reply to Author| Forward| Print| Individual Message| Show
original| Report Abuse

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

-- what matters is the
number (one) and type of (compatible) back office systems. This
integration
actually looks to be easier than prior integrations.

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/&gt;

In <jzwick3-FD0C86.23472306122004@news1.east.earthlink.net> on Tue, 07 Dec
2004 05:47:23 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <Mbbtd.9858$_3.116083@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>> This is post-merger, and much shorter period of time, and is the result of
>> some very difficult work.
>
>But Navas said it would be easy to handle this merger.

Nope.

>Oct 29, 8:39 am show options
>Newsgroups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws
>From: John Navas
>Subject: Re: Going from ATTWS to Cingular
>Reply| Reply to Author| Forward| Print| Individual Message| Show
>original| Report Abuse
>
>-- what matters is the
>number (one) and type of (compatible) back office systems. This
>integration
>actually looks to be easier than prior integrations.

Which part of that don't you understand? Let's start with "what"... ;-)

December 7, 2004 9:02:04 AM

In <IeKdncBEhstz3ijcRVn-uA@pghconnect.com> on Mon, 6 Dec 2004 23:49:32 -0600,
"Stanley Reynolds" <nospam_stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> This is post-merger, and much shorter period of time, and is the result of
>> some very difficult work.
>
>Not sure of the quote but president Bush said that this was "very hard work"
>in reference to the war in Iraq that I believe that. If keeping a web site
>up is "very difficult work" then it says the people doing this may need to
>be replaced with someone that can do it no problem.

No offense, but you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

>I think most web sites
>just work but not Cingular and this has been a problem the past year
>pre-merger.

These latest issues are clearly post-merger.

December 7, 2004 9:02:05 AM

> >> This is post-merger, and much shorter period of time, and is the result
of
> >> some very difficult work.
> >
> >Not sure of the quote but president Bush said that this was "very hard
work"
> >in reference to the war in Iraq that I believe that. If keeping a web
site
> >up is "very difficult work" then it says the people doing this may need
> >be replaced with someone that can do it no problem.
>
> No offense, but you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

No offense taken, but I know what I am talking about, Cingular's web site.
And of the many web sites I use Cingular's site has had more problems the
past year than 20 other sites I have used. Bank sites work, credit card
sites work, broker sites work, even the prepaid Cingular site works. If you
think that Cingular's web site problems started with the merger then
"obviously have no idea what you're talking about." One thing that I have no
idea about is what your spin on Cingular's problems is about.
December 7, 2004 9:40:10 AM

It's funny, with all the complaining most people do about technology
they've got no clue about you'd think they'd up off their arses and go
learn it themselves, then go to cingular or any company that has to
keep a database of millions of records and go try to do their jobs for
them. I am almost positive Cingular does nothing but hire the most
talented web and database engineers and programmers and administrators
for their systems, sure - they're not perfect by any means, but in my
opinion they're doing a pretty good job so far. The site was out of
service yesterday yes.. but it came back up by the end of the evening
and all was fine.
Quit your whining about issues you've not no idea about.
December 7, 2004 9:40:29 AM

It's funny, with all the complaining most people do about technology
they've got no clue about you'd think they'd up off their arses and go
learn it themselves, then go to cingular or any company that has to
keep a database of millions of records and go try to do their jobs for
them. I am almost positive Cingular does nothing but hire the most
talented web and database engineers and programmers and administrators
for their systems, sure - they're not perfect by any means, but in my
opinion they're doing a pretty good job so far. The site was out of
service yesterday yes.. but it came back up by the end of the evening
and all was fine.
Quit your whining about issues you've not no idea about.
December 7, 2004 9:40:45 AM

It's funny, with all the complaining most people do about technology
they've got no clue about you'd think they'd up off their arses and go
learn it themselves, then go to cingular or any company that has to
keep a database of millions of records and go try to do their jobs for
them. I am almost positive Cingular does nothing but hire the most
talented web and database engineers and programmers and administrators
for their systems, sure - they're not perfect by any means, but in my
opinion they're doing a pretty good job so far. The site was out of
service yesterday yes.. but it came back up by the end of the evening
and all was fine.
Quit your whining about issues you've not no idea about.
December 7, 2004 9:41:22 AM

It's funny, with all the complaining most people do about technology
they've got no clue about you'd think they'd up off their arses and go
learn it themselves, then go to cingular or any company that has to
keep a database of millions of records and go try to do their jobs for
them. I am almost positive Cingular does nothing but hire the most
talented web and database engineers and programmers and administrators
for their systems, sure - they're not perfect by any means, but in my
opinion they're doing a pretty good job so far. The site was out of
service yesterday yes.. but it came back up by the end of the evening
and all was fine.
Quit your whining about issues you've not no idea about.
December 7, 2004 9:44:18 AM

Please excuse my 4? or so posts.. google posting fumbled on me. In
fact.. now that this has happened, I may just open a new newsgroup on
google about google and complain of their webserver error.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 5:35:03 PM

In <9sGdneH0SNEvxijcRVn-jQ@pghconnect.com> on Tue, 7 Dec 2004 01:30:56 -0600,

>of
>> >
>> >Not sure of the quote but president Bush said that this was "very hard
>work"
>> >in reference to the war in Iraq that I believe that. If keeping a web
>site
>> >up is "very difficult work" then it says the people doing this may need
>> >be replaced with someone that can do it no problem.
>>
>> No offense, but you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>No offense taken, but I know what I am talking about, Cingular's web site.
>And of the many web sites I use Cingular's site has had more problems the
>past year than 20 other sites I have used. Bank sites work, credit card
>sites work, broker sites work, even the prepaid Cingular site works.

My own experience, up until the merger, is that the reliability of Cingular's
site has been a bit less than average for its class, but was nonetheless still
reasonable, even as compared to financial sites, which aren't a good benchmark
for a cellular company.

I didn't say that. What I wrote (and you snipped) was:

These latest issues are clearly post-merger.

>One thing that I have no
>idea about is what your spin on Cingular's problems is about.

You don't like the message, so you attack the messenger. How nice.
,
December 7, 2004 6:51:24 PM

> >One thing that I have no
> >idea about is what your spin on Cingular's problems is about.
>
> You don't like the message, so you attack the messenger. How nice.

John I do agree with you Cingular's web site is below average we may
disagree about the degree a bit vs a lot.

The topic is not my IQ as addressed in your quote "No offense, but you
obviously have no idea what you're talking about."

The topic is not your IQ as your precieved "attack".

My question is why your see Cingular's web site as only a bit below average
? When it is the least reliable site I've used the past year. I do not get a
paper bill in the mail but down load the bill each month. I also check usage
about once a week. Problems from very slow and broken links to not working
at all. Due to the problems I spend a lot more time on the site than I want
too. I do not think it has ever just worked. Do you use the account feature
or is your use more general like checking the new plans ? I have noticed
more problems with login features than the site in general.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 7:02:03 PM

"Marius" <mariusdb@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Please excuse my 4? or so posts.. google posting fumbled on me. In
> fact.. now that this has happened, I may just open a new newsgroup on
> google about google and complain of their webserver error.

http://groups-beta.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?ans...

"How long does it take for my postings to appear in a group?

In groups that aren't moderated, postings usually appear in seconds. Your
posting will also show up in search results minutes after you submit it. All
in all, it's pretty fast."

I used google also and found the delay to be hours not minutes switched ISP
to one that provided a better news server.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 7:25:02 PM

"and up until about 6 months ago, they would exchange a non-working
phone
right in the Cingular store. Then they moved to the mail order
service. In
my opinion, they've been hammering the bottom line in the executive
board
room, and customer service was one of the first areas to be targeted
for
reduction."

I work for a Cingular and can tell you the XBM (Exchange by Mail)
Program that Cingular initiated was one of the best things they have
done. The program makes it easier on the customer and employees of
Cingular. The purpose of the program was to allow the customer to
exchange their phone without ever leaving their home. How much easier
can they make it?

But the biggest reason for the program was so that Cingular could
guarantee the customer the same phone when exchanging. Since phones
are phased out so quickly many stores were not able to exchange the
customers phone for the same model. That was a big problem.

Before you knock Cingular's Customer Service, be aware that Cingular is
not the only company to go to the XBM Program, Verizon has too.

--
scott14661
http://cellphoneforums.net

> It's funny, with all the complaining most people do about technology
> they've got no clue about you'd think they'd up off their arses and go
> learn it themselves, then go to cingular or any company that has to
> keep a database of millions of records and go try to do their jobs for
> them. I am almost positive Cingular does nothing but hire the most
> talented web and database engineers and programmers and administrators
> for their systems, sure - they're not perfect by any means, but in my
> opinion they're doing a pretty good job so far. The site was out of
> service yesterday yes.. but it came back up by the end of the evening
> and all was fine.
> Quit your whining about issues you've not no idea about.

Amen- great post.
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 1:35:38 AM

In <_IqdnS3hlcnGuCvcRVn-jA@pghconnect.com> on Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:51:24 -0600,
"Stanley Reynolds" <nospam_stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> >One thing that I have no
>> >idea about is what your spin on Cingular's problems is about.
>>
>> You don't like the message, so you attack the messenger. How nice.
>
>John I do agree with you Cingular's web site is below average we may
>disagree about the degree a bit vs a lot.

Fair enough.

>The topic is not my IQ as addressed in your quote "No offense, but you
>obviously have no idea what you're talking about."
>
>The topic is not your IQ as your precieved "attack".

My statement was in response to your:

Not sure of the quote but president Bush said that this was "very
hard work" in reference to the war in Iraq that I believe that. If
keeping a web site up is "very difficult work" then it says the
people doing this may need to be replaced with someone that can do it
no problem.

That kind of statement comes across as hopelessly naive and dismissive to
those of us with real expertise in comparable enterprise-grade websites. It's
"no problem" any more than the war in Iraq is proving to be the "no problem"
promised by the Administration, likewise hopelessly naive and dismissive (of
warnings).

>My question is why your see Cingular's web site as only a bit below average
>? When it is the least reliable site I've used the past year. I do not get a
>paper bill in the mail but down load the bill each month. I also check usage
>about once a week. Problems from very slow and broken links to not working
>at all. Due to the problems I spend a lot more time on the site than I want
>too. I do not think it has ever just worked. Do you use the account feature
>or is your use more general like checking the new plans ? I have noticed
>more problems with login features than the site in general.

Prior to the merger, I regularly used the Cingular website, and usually didn't
encounter problems. Recent problems are clearly a result of the major changes
resulting from the merger, and are actually less troublesome than I expected.

December 8, 2004 2:39:47 AM

With google's updates of their free open usenet service, the replies
seem to now get posted in a matter of seconds or a couple minutes as
opposed to how it took hours before. I am enjoying google groups much
more now.
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 4:52:29 AM

> With google's updates of their free open usenet service, the replies
> seem to now get posted in a matter of seconds or a couple minutes as
> opposed to how it took hours before. I am enjoying google groups much
> more now.

I am glad it has improved, the search features and storage of old posts made
it useful even when current posts took hours.
December 8, 2004 1:04:56 PM

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 16:25:02 -0600, scott14661
<scott14661.1gx0w1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>"and up until about 6 months ago, they would exchange a non-working
>phone
>right in the Cingular store. Then they moved to the mail order
>service. In
>my opinion, they've been hammering the bottom line in the executive
>board
>room, and customer service was one of the first areas to be targeted
>for
>reduction."
>
>I work for a Cingular and can tell you the XBM (Exchange by Mail)
>Program that Cingular initiated was one of the best things they have
>done. The program makes it easier on the customer and employees of
>Cingular. The purpose of the program was to allow the customer to
>exchange their phone without ever leaving their home. How much easier
>can they make it?
>
>But the biggest reason for the program was so that Cingular could
>guarantee the customer the same phone when exchanging. Since phones
>are phased out so quickly many stores were not able to exchange the
>customers phone for the same model. That was a big problem.
>
>Before you knock Cingular's Customer Service, be aware that Cingular is
>not the only company to go to the XBM Program, Verizon has too.

I'll add a little on this. Cingular's XBM program can only work after
you've had the phone for 30 days. I've got 4 defective V551 phones
that were purchased from Best Buy. Best buy at this time has no V551's
in stock. After much haggling with Cingular CS, I was finally given
authority to return phones to Cingular store. About an hours drive
from my house. They were also out of stock on V551. Also, no 64k sim
cards. Best Buy and Cingular were loaded on 32k cards but no 64k. This
is important to me because my home is in an area that my AT&T signal
is a lot stronger than Cingular. Cingular would not send us 4 new
phones unless I bought them, then returned the 4 defective ones to BB
for a refund. They couldn't even send us 64k cards, I'ld have to buy
them. All 4 phones have the white screen problem, which by itself
isn't too bad, It's the dropped calls with the white screen that
pisses me off. 2 of the phones also have a voice sending problem.
Scratchy, breaking up.
I'm not bitching on Cingular's CS, but, they're like robots following
protocol from a book. It takes about 45 min to explain the whole deal
about the problems we're having with our phones, including the fact
that the local store has none in stock, And each time after explaining
everything that's happened, they come back and tell me, we're giving
you authorization to return the phones to the Cingular store. Folks,
they don't have any, haven't you heard anything I've said. Very
frustrating. I'm just waiting for BB to get some in stock, they don't
know when but they've extended us another 30 days to return them.
Hopefully, they'll get some within that 30 days.
One thing I've learned. Don't buy a cell phone from a store other than
an authorized cell phone store. One other thing, the XBM people don't
even have any V551's in yet to fix and send out.
!