Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Updates are Ready ...

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 8:44:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

There is this shield in the tray on the right hand end of my task bar that
says that updates are ready for your computer, click here to install.
Well, I don't want to install them and I would like to get rid of the shield
so I won't hit it accidentally.
There is also a security alert shield I would like to get rid of.
How do I do that?
Thanks,
Ken

More about : updates ready

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 8:44:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Ken-> wrote:
> There is this shield in the tray on the right hand end of my task bar that
> says that updates are ready for your computer, click here to install.
> Well, I don't want to install them and I would like to get rid of the shield
> so I won't hit it accidentally.
> There is also a security alert shield I would like to get rid of.
> How do I do that?
> Thanks,
> Ken
>
>
Those updates are from Microsoft and you should load them.
Most have to do with making your PC more secure. The only
ones that you really need are the ones marked as critical.

Changes to the way the system alerts you can be made in
the Security Center.

gls858
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 8:44:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Critical updates are being downloaded in the background while you are
online. These normally would be installed as suggested by the message. It
means Microsoft has issued updates to fix vulnerabilities to your system. I
suggest that you go ahead and install them.

--
Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
"Ken->" <handsaw AT comcast DOT net.spicedham> wrote in message
news:p 7GdnUVSn43UDHDcRVn-1w@comcast.com...
> There is this shield in the tray on the right hand end of my task bar that
> says that updates are ready for your computer, click here to install.
> Well, I don't want to install them and I would like to get rid of the
> shield so I won't hit it accidentally.
> There is also a security alert shield I would like to get rid of.
> How do I do that?
> Thanks,
> Ken
>
Related resources
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 8:44:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uCeq0Gb$EHA.3372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Ken-> wrote:
> > There is this shield in the tray on the right hand end of my task
bar that
> > says that updates are ready for your computer, click here to
install.
> > Well, I don't want to install them and I would like to get rid of
the shield
> > so I won't hit it accidentally.
> > There is also a security alert shield I would like to get rid of.
> > How do I do that?
> > Thanks,
> > Ken
> >
> >
> Those updates are from Microsoft and you should load them.
> Most have to do with making your PC more secure. The only
> ones that you really need are the ones marked as critical.
>
> Changes to the way the system alerts you can be made in
> the Security Center.
>
> gls858

I believe that you can right-click on the shield and there will be a
properties option.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 8:49:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

> There is this shield in the tray on the right hand end of my task bar
> that says that updates are ready for your computer, click here to
> install. Well, I don't want to install them and I would like to get rid of
> the
> shield so I won't hit it accidentally.
> There is also a security alert shield I would like to get rid of.
> How do I do that?
> Thanks,
> Ken

To find information on a Tray item, use the right mouse button to bring up a
menu without opening the Tray item.
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://michaelstevenstech.com
For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.h...
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 10:01:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

To get rid of the message, change your system to automatically install.
Start> Control Panel> Automatic Updates> check Automatic (recommended) and
set the frequency to Every day and the time to some convenient time when
your computer is on. Both of my computers have had this setting for the past
three years with no problems. Our Computer Club's 28 Windows XP computers
also have the same settings.

Keep the spyware and viruses off the computer and there will be few
problems.

"Ken->" <handsaw AT comcast DOT net.spicedham> wrote in message
news:p 7GdnUVSn43UDHDcRVn-1w@comcast.com...
> There is this shield in the tray on the right hand end of my task bar that
> says that updates are ready for your computer, click here to install.
> Well, I don't want to install them and I would like to get rid of the
> shield so I won't hit it accidentally.
> There is also a security alert shield I would like to get rid of.
> How do I do that?
> Thanks,
> Ken
>
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:05:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Right clicking on the shield brings up a dialog to either install
automatically or manually. At least there is a cancel button, but no option
to hide the icon.
All of you are recommending that I just go ahead in install this stuff. The
dialog I get when I right click says that I'm going to have to accept
another end user license for one of the updates. I just kind of resent
Microsoft putting stuff on my machine without my permission. I don't know
that it is mal-ware, but it might be. I doubt that they would put anything
on my machine to make it malfunction, but they must already have some
spyware on my machine to know that it needs updating.
gls858 said that "most" have to do with making your PC more secure, but what
are the others for?
I'm sorry this sounds like a rant against Microsoft. Actually, if I was
really sorry I could just not post it :-)
Ken

"bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
news:eYOJPSb$EHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:uCeq0Gb$EHA.3372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Ken-> wrote:
>> > There is this shield in the tray on the right hand end of my task
> bar that
>> > says that updates are ready for your computer, click here to
> install.
>> > Well, I don't want to install them and I would like to get rid of
> the shield
>> > so I won't hit it accidentally.
>> > There is also a security alert shield I would like to get rid of.
>> > How do I do that?
>> > Thanks,
>> > Ken
>> >
>> >
>> Those updates are from Microsoft and you should load them.
>> Most have to do with making your PC more secure. The only
>> ones that you really need are the ones marked as critical.
>>
>> Changes to the way the system alerts you can be made in
>> the Security Center.
>>
>> gls858
>
> I believe that you can right-click on the shield and there will be a
> properties option.
>
>
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:18:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Chuck,
Thanks for the path to the Automatic Updates. There is just the button I
was looking for there, but I may change my attitude after seeing nobody say
it is a bad idea to use the automatic updates.
Thanks,
Ken

"Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message
news:o vkz4Md$EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> To get rid of the message, change your system to automatically install.
> Start> Control Panel> Automatic Updates> check Automatic (recommended) and
> set the frequency to Every day and the time to some convenient time when
> your computer is on. Both of my computers have had this setting for the
> past three years with no problems. Our Computer Club's 28 Windows XP
> computers also have the same settings.
>
> Keep the spyware and viruses off the computer and there will be few
> problems.
>
> "Ken->" <handsaw AT comcast DOT net.spicedham> wrote in message
> news:p 7GdnUVSn43UDHDcRVn-1w@comcast.com...
>> There is this shield in the tray on the right hand end of my task bar
>> that says that updates are ready for your computer, click here to
>> install.
>> Well, I don't want to install them and I would like to get rid of the
>> shield so I won't hit it accidentally.
>> There is also a security alert shield I would like to get rid of.
>> How do I do that?
>> Thanks,
>> Ken
>>
>
>
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:27:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Ken-> wrote:
> Right clicking on the shield brings up a dialog to either install
> automatically or manually. At least there is a cancel button, but no option
> to hide the icon.
> All of you are recommending that I just go ahead in install this stuff. The
> dialog I get when I right click says that I'm going to have to accept
> another end user license for one of the updates. I just kind of resent
> Microsoft putting stuff on my machine without my permission. I don't know
> that it is mal-ware, but it might be. I doubt that they would put anything
> on my machine to make it malfunction, but they must already have some
> spyware on my machine to know that it needs updating.
> gls858 said that "most" have to do with making your PC more secure, but what
> are the others for?
> I'm sorry this sounds like a rant against Microsoft. Actually, if I was
> really sorry I could just not post it :-)
> Ken
>
> "bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
> news:eYOJPSb$EHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>
>>"gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>news:uCeq0Gb$EHA.3372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>
>>>Ken-> wrote:
>>>
>>>>There is this shield in the tray on the right hand end of my task
>>
>>bar that
>>
>>>>says that updates are ready for your computer, click here to
>>
>>install.
>>
>>>>Well, I don't want to install them and I would like to get rid of
>>
>>the shield
>>
>>>>so I won't hit it accidentally.
>>>>There is also a security alert shield I would like to get rid of.
>>>>How do I do that?
>>>>Thanks,
>>>>Ken
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>Those updates are from Microsoft and you should load them.
>>>Most have to do with making your PC more secure. The only
>>>ones that you really need are the ones marked as critical.
>>>
>>>Changes to the way the system alerts you can be made in
>>>the Security Center.
>>>
>>>gls858
>>
>>I believe that you can right-click on the shield and there will be a
>>properties option.
>>
>>
>
>
>
Open IE and go to tools > windows update. This will take you to
Microsoft's update page. It will check to see what updates your
system needs and then list them. Once they are listed a short
explanation will show with a link to more detailed info.
This will allow you to see what is being updated and decide
if you want to load it or not. I load the critical updates.
I look at the other updates and decide if they apply to my
situation and load as necessary.I NEVER load their driver updates.

Updating your system will help keep it secure. I would be much
more concerned about what might happen if I don't load the updates
than if I do.

gls858
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 2:06:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

It should be noted, only updates that fall into the "critical update"
category at Windows Update are pushed to user systems using the auto-update
feature.

That said and I've done this a long time, if you have a fairly generic
system, I've never run into a problem as a result of auto-update. If you
have a system with a lot of unusual hardware and software or an OEM system
with a lot of their own customized applets, etc. you can run into a lot of
trouble

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"Ken->" <handsaw AT comcast DOT net.spicedham> wrote in message
news:XoidnUNXlc_Q8XPcRVn-sQ@comcast.com...
> Chuck,
> Thanks for the path to the Automatic Updates. There is just the button I
> was looking for there, but I may change my attitude after seeing nobody
> say it is a bad idea to use the automatic updates.
> Thanks,
> Ken
>
> "Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message
> news:o vkz4Md$EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> To get rid of the message, change your system to automatically install.
>> Start> Control Panel> Automatic Updates> check Automatic (recommended)
>> and set the frequency to Every day and the time to some convenient time
>> when your computer is on. Both of my computers have had this setting for
>> the past three years with no problems. Our Computer Club's 28 Windows XP
>> computers also have the same settings.
>>
>> Keep the spyware and viruses off the computer and there will be few
>> problems.
>>
>> "Ken->" <handsaw AT comcast DOT net.spicedham> wrote in message
>> news:p 7GdnUVSn43UDHDcRVn-1w@comcast.com...
>>> There is this shield in the tray on the right hand end of my task bar
>>> that says that updates are ready for your computer, click here to
>>> install.
>>> Well, I don't want to install them and I would like to get rid of the
>>> shield so I won't hit it accidentally.
>>> There is also a security alert shield I would like to get rid of.
>>> How do I do that?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ken
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 2:33:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:05:37 -0500, Ken-> wrote:

> I doubt that they would put anything
> on my machine to make it malfunction, but they must already have some
> spyware on my machine to know that it needs updating.

It's not spyware. It's a setting. You have automatic updates checking to
see if anything is available.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 7:40:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Ken, I've had XP nearly 3 years. I also had reservations about updates, but
have had the "Automatic" setting for about 2 years now, without problem.
It's also time-saving - done in the background when you're on-line so you
are not disturbed in your actual work.
My understanding of "dial-up" is that if you disconnect (not realising a
background download is taking place) then the download resumes at the point
it stopped, still in the background. (Same thing if you close a cable
connection).
Most updates install silently - some will advise (when installed) that you
need to re-boot to be effective - you don't have to do so immediately.
Hope this adds to the reassurances already given. Sincerely, Len

"Ken->" <handsaw AT comcast DOT net.spicedham> wrote in message
news:XoidnUNXlc_Q8XPcRVn-sQ@comcast.com...
> Chuck,
> Thanks for the path to the Automatic Updates. There is just the button I
> was looking for there, but I may change my attitude after seeing nobody
> say it is a bad idea to use the automatic updates.
> Thanks,
> Ken
>
> "Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message
> news:o vkz4Md$EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> To get rid of the message, change your system to automatically install.
>> Start> Control Panel> Automatic Updates> check Automatic (recommended)
>> and set the frequency to Every day and the time to some convenient time
>> when your computer is on. Both of my computers have had this setting for
>> the past three years with no problems. Our Computer Club's 28 Windows XP
>> computers also have the same settings.
>>
>> Keep the spyware and viruses off the computer and there will be few
>> problems.
>>
>> "Ken->" <handsaw AT comcast DOT net.spicedham> wrote in message
>> news:p 7GdnUVSn43UDHDcRVn-1w@comcast.com...
>>> There is this shield in the tray on the right hand end of my task bar
>>> that says that updates are ready for your computer, click here to
>>> install.
>>> Well, I don't want to install them and I would like to get rid of the
>>> shield so I won't hit it accidentally.
>>> There is also a security alert shield I would like to get rid of.
>>> How do I do that?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ken
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 2:27:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Ken,

You can turn off automatic updaes.
Start->Control Panel->System and in the popup window that appears select
"Automatic Update" tab and check the "Turn off Automatic Updates" and click
"Apply" button. The shield will disapper from the tray.

Hope this helps.

Subhash Sharma

"Ken->" <handsaw AT comcast DOT net.spicedham> wrote in message
news:p 7GdnUVSn43UDHDcRVn-1w@comcast.com...
> There is this shield in the tray on the right hand end of my task bar that
> says that updates are ready for your computer, click here to install.
> Well, I don't want to install them and I would like to get rid of the
shield
> so I won't hit it accidentally.
> There is also a security alert shield I would like to get rid of.
> How do I do that?
> Thanks,
> Ken
>
>
November 12, 2008 2:23:11 PM

Just follow these steps:
Start->Control Panel->System and in the popup window that appears select
"Automatic Update" tab and check the "Turn off Automatic Updates" and click
"Apply" button.
Then on the tray, you will see again a notification in red armour "Your computer might be at a risk so click here to solve it" Plz DON'T CLICK ON IT AGAIN! Go to control panel again, choose Administrative tools-> Services->Security centre_> double click on Security centre and then stop the security center service! :p  You will never get those stupid updates again!! :bounce: 
PS: these days, Microsoft tries to install in our computers an update to verify whether our copy of windows is original or not! If you accidently install it, you are definitly experiencing death! :fou:  So to get rid of the risk, follow above steps to turn off updates forever!!!! Don't let Microsoft to impose their garbage in to our computers in the face of security!!! :non: 
!