hardware wizard keeps finding harddrive

I put a new harddrive in the system and the hardware wizard keeps popping
up to say it found it. But then it asks for location of driver. The hdd
doesn't
need a driver.

What is going on????????????

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about hardware wizard finding harddrive

    I have it set as master on the secondary ide.

    "dancer" <dancerjen@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > I put a new harddrive in the system and the hardware wizard keeps popping
    > up to say it found it. But then it asks for location of driver. The hdd
    > doesn't
    > need a driver.
    >
    > What is going on????????????
    >
    > Thanks

    How about making it the slave on the primary IDE? I think that's the way it
    is usually done, and it works fine on my system. The secondary IDE is
    usually used for removable disks such as CD and DVD, and that's the way it
    is on my system.

    ???

    > I have it set as master on the secondary ide.
    >
    > "dancer" <dancerjen@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > > I put a new harddrive in the system and the hardware wizard keeps
    popping
    > > up to say it found it. But then it asks for location of driver. The
    hdd
    > > doesn't
    > > need a driver.
    > >
    > > What is going on????????????
    > >
    > > Thanks

    "dancer" <dancerjen@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > I put a new harddrive in the system and the hardware wizard keeps popping
    > up to say it found it. But then it asks for location of driver. The hdd
    > doesn't
    > need a driver.
    >
    > What is going on????????????

    What does your bios say? Is drive detected by motherboard?

    Thanks Walterius, that is a good suggestion except for the problem
    I have with data cables. The distance between master and slave on
    the primary is rather short. I can't hang a hdd up there without risking
    a short somewhere on mobo (I don't think). If I can't come up with a
    fix for the problem, I will see if I can try it. Thanks again, jenny

    "codigo" <codigo@codigo.trap.com> wrote in message

    > What does your bios say? Is drive detected by motherboard?

    The bios doesn't see it. The hdd is detected by windows. I changed the
    bios
    from auto detect to manual specifying but I really don't know all of the
    specs
    that I need to fill in for manual specify. I need to go do some research
    for that.
    Thanks for the idea.

    > "codigo" <codigo@codigo.trap.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > What does your bios say? Is drive detected by motherboard?
    > >

    > The bios doesn't see it. The hdd is detected by windows. I changed the
    > bios
    > from auto detect to manual specifying but I really don't know all of the
    > specs
    > that I need to fill in for manual specify. I need to go do some research
    > for that.
    > Thanks for the idea.

    The problem you are having is that the drive isn't detected in your bios.
    This is a requirement since the operating system can't access a hard drive
    or its controller directly. The bios does this for you using LBA. This is
    true even when an add-on card provides the hardware interface to the
    drive(s), like SCSI (using add-on card's bios).

    You need to jumper and cable the drive appropriately to allow Bios
    detection. Then worry about OS detection.

    Also, indicating whether the drive is a SATA drive, IDE or SCSI can help us
    help you better.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    > The problem you are having is that the drive isn't detected in your bios.
    > This is a requirement since the operating system can't access a hard drive
    > or its controller directly. The bios does this for you using LBA. This is
    > true even when an add-on card provides the hardware interface to the
    > drive(s), like SCSI (using add-on card's bios).
    >
    > You need to jumper and cable the drive appropriately to allow Bios
    > detection. Then worry about OS detection.
    >
    > Also, indicating whether the drive is a SATA drive, IDE or SCSI can help
    us
    > help you better.

    Thanks codigo,
    It is a drive from a laptop. I use an adapter cable to convert from 44-pin
    laptop
    IDE to 40-pin IDE. I have done this before without a problem. I have tried
    the master (no jumper) setting and the cs setting.

Hardware Hard Drives Microsoft Windows