hardware wizard keeps finding harddrive

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 3, 2005 12:17:15 AM

I put a new harddrive in the system and the hardware wizard keeps popping
up to say it found it. But then it asks for location of driver. The hdd
doesn't
need a driver.

What is going on????????????

Thanks
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 12:19:03 AM

I have it set as master on the secondary ide.

"dancer" <dancerjen@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:D nzde.1293$SC.78@bignews6.bellsouth.net...
> I put a new harddrive in the system and the hardware wizard keeps popping
> up to say it found it. But then it asks for location of driver. The hdd
> doesn't
> need a driver.
>
> What is going on????????????
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 5:55:32 AM

How about making it the slave on the primary IDE? I think that's the way it
is usually done, and it works fine on my system. The secondary IDE is
usually used for removable disks such as CD and DVD, and that's the way it
is on my system.

???

> I have it set as master on the secondary ide.
>
> "dancer" <dancerjen@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:D nzde.1293$SC.78@bignews6.bellsouth.net...
> > I put a new harddrive in the system and the hardware wizard keeps
popping
> > up to say it found it. But then it asks for location of driver. The
hdd
> > doesn't
> > need a driver.
> >
> > What is going on????????????
> >
> > Thanks

Related resources
May 3, 2005 7:22:17 AM

"dancer" <dancerjen@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:D nzde.1293$SC.78@bignews6.bellsouth.net...
> I put a new harddrive in the system and the hardware wizard keeps popping
> up to say it found it. But then it asks for location of driver. The hdd
> doesn't
> need a driver.
>
> What is going on????????????

What does your bios say? Is drive detected by motherboard?
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:03:28 PM

Thanks Walterius, that is a good suggestion except for the problem
I have with data cables. The distance between master and slave on
the primary is rather short. I can't hang a hdd up there without risking
a short somewhere on mobo (I don't think). If I can't come up with a
fix for the problem, I will see if I can try it. Thanks again, jenny

"Walterius" <invalid@nowhere.not> wrote in message
> How about making it the slave on the primary IDE? I think that's the way
it
> is usually done, and it works fine on my system. The secondary IDE is
> usually used for removable disks such as CD and DVD, and that's the way it
> is on my system.
>
> ???
>
> "dancer" <dancerjen@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > I have it set as master on the secondary ide.
> >
> > "dancer" <dancerjen@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > news:D nzde.1293$SC.78@bignews6.bellsouth.net...
> > > I put a new harddrive in the system and the hardware wizard keeps
> popping
> > > up to say it found it. But then it asks for location of driver. The
> hdd
> > > doesn't
> > > need a driver.
> > >
> > > What is going on????????????
> > >
> > > Thanks

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:05:04 PM

"codigo" <codigo@codigo.trap.com> wrote in message

> What does your bios say? Is drive detected by motherboard?

The bios doesn't see it. The hdd is detected by windows. I changed the
bios
from auto detect to manual specifying but I really don't know all of the
specs
that I need to fill in for manual specify. I need to go do some research
for that.
Thanks for the idea.
May 3, 2005 2:03:26 PM

> "codigo" <codigo@codigo.trap.com> wrote in message
> >

> > What does your bios say? Is drive detected by motherboard?
> >

> The bios doesn't see it. The hdd is detected by windows. I changed the
> bios
> from auto detect to manual specifying but I really don't know all of the
> specs
> that I need to fill in for manual specify. I need to go do some research
> for that.
> Thanks for the idea.

The problem you are having is that the drive isn't detected in your bios.
This is a requirement since the operating system can't access a hard drive
or its controller directly. The bios does this for you using LBA. This is
true even when an add-on card provides the hardware interface to the
drive(s), like SCSI (using add-on card's bios).

You need to jumper and cable the drive appropriately to allow Bios
detection. Then worry about OS detection.

Also, indicating whether the drive is a SATA drive, IDE or SCSI can help us
help you better.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 4:38:20 PM

> The problem you are having is that the drive isn't detected in your bios.
> This is a requirement since the operating system can't access a hard drive
> or its controller directly. The bios does this for you using LBA. This is
> true even when an add-on card provides the hardware interface to the
> drive(s), like SCSI (using add-on card's bios).
>
> You need to jumper and cable the drive appropriately to allow Bios
> detection. Then worry about OS detection.
>
> Also, indicating whether the drive is a SATA drive, IDE or SCSI can help
us
> help you better.

Thanks codigo,
It is a drive from a laptop. I use an adapter cable to convert from 44-pin
laptop
IDE to 40-pin IDE. I have done this before without a problem. I have tried
the master (no jumper) setting and the cs setting.
!