No beep no post, new build.

cisco111

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
No beep no post, new build, all is in place but when I hit the start button the computer starts for about 2 seconds then shuts off, I can still hear the hard drive spin up but nothing else is on it seems.

Bjorn0

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
FIrst, try to power it up barebones. Motherboard, Processor, Video, Memory. That's it. If it works, then start adding components one by one, testing every time.

If it doesn't then it may be your video card, try a different one.

If that doesn't solve it, try new memory. If you have multiple sticks, just try one at a time.

If that doesn't do it, try it out of the case one something non-conductive and not prone to static. Cardboard works fine.

If it is still a no-go, come back with your results and any other information you might deem worthy and we will try it again.

Avariche

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
You can also try taking everything out and reseating cables and components. A RAM stick or loose CPU can cause some interesting issues. Also try disconnecting the reset connector from the motherboard that runs to the reset switch on the front of the system. If the switch is faulty, it can cause that too.

NumenorLord

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
You could also try putting the Ram sticks in the alternate slots (instead of 1 and 3 try 2 and 4). Sometimes those go bad...

Sorry about your bad luck dude.

cisco111

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Tried all the above, now what happens is the computer will come on, but the cpu fan will go off after 2 seconds. The rest of the computer is working still no windows. Brought up the bios screen, changed boot sequence still will not get past bios. Have to turn off computer cpu will burn up. Did try the cpu fan in chassis connector fan worked fine. I am stumped.

xyzunit

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Tried all the above, now what happens is the computer will come on, but the cpu fan will go off after 2 seconds. The rest of the computer is working still no windows. Brought up the bios screen, changed boot sequence still will not get past bios. Have to turn off computer cpu will burn up. Did try the cpu fan in chassis connector fan worked fine. I am stumped.

Make sure the heatsink is seated and locked in place properly. I was getting readings of 70C-80C on my e6300 with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Turns out, one of the corners was completely loose. Also, make sure you did not use too many brass spacers between your case and mobo. I foolishly put too many in, and it caused crazy bad vibrations and wouldn't get into the BIOS at all. Make sure your pcie graphics card has it's power connection in place (I forgot that one too... got some nice error beeps - refer to your mobo user manual for what the led lights mean).

Most importantly, check and see if your RAM is the correct voltage. You may have to use your jumpers or just get a new stick.

Bjorn0

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006

Sounds like a bad board. If it is not supplying power to the CPU fan I am willing to bet there is something majorly wrong with the board.

If you can, test out the other components with a different motherboard just to make sure. Then if they all work correctly, just RMA the board.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
First of all, list all the components (this should be done in the very first post). Second, if you're getting into the bios that means you've passed POST so I'm guessing either HDD, PSU or Motherboard (of course I can't tell since I don't know what you used).

PS LIST YOUR COMPONENTS
PSS LIST YOUR F*CKING COMPONENTS

cisco111

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
OK WAYLANDER dont bite by head off, sorry bout the components. Asus barebome vintage ae-1, k8s mboard, asus 250 pwr supply, maxtor 120gb hd, creative cdrw, linksys wireless g pcicard, coolermaster 80mm cpu fan amd certified, (thats what newegg said) athlon 64 sempron 2800 1.6 g 754pin 256k, mem 128 ddr 2100 cl2.5. Ok there you have it. Now the problem is that the system boots up, cpu gets hot, hdd works. power supply is working fine, bios screen is up I get one beep which is good. All seems fine the motherboard seems to be working, but the damn cpu fan will not work in the cpu fan board connector it spins up on powrup but shuts off after 2 seconds. it works in other fan connectors. I am starting to think its the cpu fan connector on the board but why does it initially spin up an pwerup then shut down. DAMN CRAZY! Built this system for my kids so they will stay off of my power build. So what do you think?

cisco111

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
No, I did get a message that the cpu fan was having problems, but only when I hooked it up to the chassis fan connector to see if it worked. Otherwise I get no indication that there is a problem other than seeing that the fan is not running.