Disaster Recovery for DC

I have Brightstor Disaster Recovery, which is very good for restoring to the
same
(or very similar) hardware.
But what I would like is a clear description of how to recover a Win2k DC
from backup tapes to completely different hardware as in the worst case like
a fire. There doesn't seem to be a lot of 'clear' info on this wherever I
have looked.
Microsoft's suggestions don't work for me. Ie; KBA249694
And as far as I have seem, even ARCserve don't have any info except for DR
on similar hardware.

--

Regards,

Slarty Bartfast

- What do you mean you formatted the cat?

Here you can find a lot of informations. I hope help you.

http://forums.wugnet.com/Active-Directory-AD-Restore-Hardware-ftopict364362.html
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q263532

--
Danilo Bordini - MVP Windows Server - Directory Services

"Slarty Bartfast" wrote:

> I have Brightstor Disaster Recovery, which is very good for restoring to the
> same
> (or very similar) hardware.
> But what I would like is a clear description of how to recover a Win2k DC
> from backup tapes to completely different hardware as in the worst case like
> a fire. There doesn't seem to be a lot of 'clear' info on this wherever I
> have looked.
> Microsoft's suggestions don't work for me. Ie; KBA249694
> And as far as I have seem, even ARCserve don't have any info except for DR
> on similar hardware.
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Slarty Bartfast
>

> - What do you mean you formatted the cat?

Thanks Danilo,

I did try Q263532 and found it useless.
First it says this;
"On the new computer, perform a clean installation of Windows 2000 as a
stand-alone server in a workgroup."

Then it says restore your backup of the original Domain Controller to
this computer which surprisingly it did and booted normally.

Then it says to make some changes to the registry such as 'BurFlags'
and 'ClientProtocols' etc.

After fiddling around, I found these registry entries don't appear on
a Stand-alone server - only when I created a new Domain Controller with the
same name and domain and did the restore again did these registry entries
appear.
It still boots up OK, but it is NOT restored as my original DC.

I am looking at LDIFDE now, but I don't like the look of this
approach.

Restoring to the same or very similar hardware is no trouble at all -
But I would like to test a worst case situation where I have to use the
backup tapes to restore a Win2k DC to completely different hardware. For
such a basic and extremely necessary piece of DR, I have found NO help so
far.

We use BrightStor ARCserve - maybe I should take a look at Veritas
Bare Metal restore. I wonder if that is any good.

--

Regards,

Slarty Bartfast

- Why spend $2 to dry-clean a shirt? Donate it to the Salvation Army
instead. They'll clean it and put it on a hanger. Next morning, you can buy
it back for 75 cents.

I mean, it doesn't have to be a 'quick' Disaster Recovery like BrightStor DR
or Veritas Bare Metal.
All I really need is help on how to manually do a restore to different
hardware.

--

Regards,

Slarty Bartfast

- "I forgot what to buy," Tom said listlessly.

Jennifer

I am trying to do the exact same thing you were...did you ever get it to work
or find any doucmentation on how to make it work?