The task manager has been disabled by your administrator

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 3, 2005 3:47:02 AM

I get the "task manager has been disabled by your administrator" any time I
try to run Task Manager. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 11:31:24 AM

Use the Group policy editor
%windir%\system32\gpedit.msc
User Config\Admin Templates\System\Ctrl+Alt+Del Options|Remove Task
Manager="Not Configured"

(it's usually spyware/ junkware that sets this Reg_Dword decimal value to 1)
DisableTaskMgr
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"scokis" wrote:
|I get the "task manager has been disabled by your administrator" any time I
| try to run Task Manager. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
May 3, 2005 3:49:35 PM

I'm gonna guess the Task Manager has been Disabled by your Administrator.
*L*

InsoManiac

"scokis" <scokis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I get the "task manager has been disabled by your administrator" any time
> try to run Task Manager. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
May 3, 2005 5:29:04 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Under %windir%...\System\Logon/Logoff I see a
"Disable Task Manager" and its setting currently is "Not configured". When I
check the registry I do find as you stated that the REG_DWORD,
DisableTaskMgr, has a value of 1. Do you recommend using the registry editor
to modify the data value since the group policy editor is showing, "Not
configured"?

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Use the Group policy editor
> %windir%\system32\gpedit.msc
> User Config\Admin Templates\System\Ctrl+Alt+Del Options|Remove Task
> Manager="Not Configured"
>
> (it's usually spyware/ junkware that sets this Reg_Dword decimal value to 1)
> DisableTaskMgr
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "scokis" wrote:
> |I get the "task manager has been disabled by your administrator" any time I
> | try to run Task Manager. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 10:13:39 PM

Yes. I've no idea what you're looking at here.
"%windir%...\System\Logon/Logoff "

--

"scokis" wrote:
| Thanks for the quick reply. Under %windir%...\System\Logon/Logoff I see a
| "Disable Task Manager" and its setting currently is "Not configured".
When I
| check the registry I do find as you stated that the REG_DWORD,
| DisableTaskMgr, has a value of 1. Do you recommend using the registry
editor
| to modify the data value since the group policy editor is showing, "Not
| configured"?
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 10:38:04 PM

Thanks again for your help. I'm pretty sure I'm infected with
spyware/adware, because task mgr is always disabled upon reboot. In addition
I'm seeing strange processes listed in task manager that are trying to call
out to the internet. By disabling the the policy, "Disable Task Manger", I
was able to launch Task Manager. Your help definitely gave me a short-term
work-around; however, looks like I have some other disinfecting to do.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Yes. I've no idea what you're looking at here.
> "%windir%...\System\Logon/Logoff "
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "scokis" wrote:
> | Thanks for the quick reply. Under %windir%...\System\Logon/Logoff I see a
> | "Disable Task Manager" and its setting currently is "Not configured".
> When I
> | check the registry I do find as you stated that the REG_DWORD,
> | DisableTaskMgr, has a value of 1. Do you recommend using the registry
> editor
> | to modify the data value since the group policy editor is showing, "Not
> | configured"?

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 11:44:43 PM

You might want to give this a go.

"scokis" wrote:
| Thanks again for your help. I'm pretty sure I'm infected with
| spyware/adware, because task mgr is always disabled upon reboot. In
addition
| I'm seeing strange processes listed in task manager that are trying to
call
| out to the internet. By disabling the the policy, "Disable Task Manger",
| was able to launch Task Manager. Your help definitely gave me a
short-term
| work-around; however, looks like I have some other disinfecting to do.
May 6, 2005 11:54:00 AM

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Use the Group policy editor
> %windir%\system32\gpedit.msc
> User Config\Admin Templates\System\Ctrl+Alt+Del Options|Remove Task
> Manager="Not Configured"
>
> (it's usually spyware/ junkware that sets this Reg_Dword decimal value to 1)
> DisableTaskMgr
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "scokis" wrote:
> |I get the "task manager has been disabled by your administrator" any time I
> | try to run Task Manager. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

May 6, 2005 11:56:03 AM

Click Start, Run and type this command exactly as given below: (better - Copy
and paste)
REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v
DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Use the Group policy editor
> %windir%\system32\gpedit.msc
> User Config\Admin Templates\System\Ctrl+Alt+Del Options|Remove Task
> Manager="Not Configured"
>
> (it's usually spyware/ junkware that sets this Reg_Dword decimal value to 1)
> DisableTaskMgr
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "scokis" wrote:
> |I get the "task manager has been disabled by your administrator" any time I
> | try to run Task Manager. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 12:01:03 PM

Thank you.

!