The task manager has been disabled by your administrator

I get the "task manager has been disabled by your administrator" any time I
try to run Task Manager. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
9 answers Last reply
More about task manager disabled administrator

    Use the Group policy editor
    %windir%\system32\gpedit.msc
    User Config\Admin Templates\System\Ctrl+Alt+Del Options|Remove Task
    Manager="Not Configured"

    (it's usually spyware/ junkware that sets this Reg_Dword decimal value to 1)
    DisableTaskMgr
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "scokis" wrote:
    |I get the "task manager has been disabled by your administrator" any time I
    | try to run Task Manager. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

    I'm gonna guess the Task Manager has been Disabled by your Administrator.
    *L*

    InsoManiac

    "scokis" <scokis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I get the "task manager has been disabled by your administrator" any time
    > try to run Task Manager. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

    Thanks for the quick reply. Under %windir%...\System\Logon/Logoff I see a
    "Disable Task Manager" and its setting currently is "Not configured". When I
    check the registry I do find as you stated that the REG_DWORD,
    DisableTaskMgr, has a value of 1. Do you recommend using the registry editor
    to modify the data value since the group policy editor is showing, "Not
    configured"?

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Use the Group policy editor
    > %windir%\system32\gpedit.msc
    > User Config\Admin Templates\System\Ctrl+Alt+Del Options|Remove Task
    > Manager="Not Configured"
    >
    > (it's usually spyware/ junkware that sets this Reg_Dword decimal value to 1)
    > DisableTaskMgr
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "scokis" wrote:
    > |I get the "task manager has been disabled by your administrator" any time I
    > | try to run Task Manager. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

    Yes. I've no idea what you're looking at here.
    "%windir%...\System\Logon/Logoff "

    --

    "scokis" wrote:
    | Thanks for the quick reply. Under %windir%...\System\Logon/Logoff I see a
    | "Disable Task Manager" and its setting currently is "Not configured".
    When I
    | check the registry I do find as you stated that the REG_DWORD,
    | DisableTaskMgr, has a value of 1. Do you recommend using the registry
    editor
    | to modify the data value since the group policy editor is showing, "Not
    | configured"?

    Thanks again for your help. I'm pretty sure I'm infected with
    spyware/adware, because task mgr is always disabled upon reboot. In addition
    I'm seeing strange processes listed in task manager that are trying to call
    out to the internet. By disabling the the policy, "Disable Task Manger", I
    was able to launch Task Manager. Your help definitely gave me a short-term
    work-around; however, looks like I have some other disinfecting to do.

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Yes. I've no idea what you're looking at here.
    > "%windir%...\System\Logon/Logoff "
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "scokis" wrote:
    > | Thanks for the quick reply. Under %windir%...\System\Logon/Logoff I see a
    > | "Disable Task Manager" and its setting currently is "Not configured".
    > When I
    > | check the registry I do find as you stated that the REG_DWORD,
    > | DisableTaskMgr, has a value of 1. Do you recommend using the registry
    > editor
    > | to modify the data value since the group policy editor is showing, "Not
    > | configured"?

    You might want to give this a go.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

    --

    "scokis" wrote:
    | Thanks again for your help. I'm pretty sure I'm infected with
    | spyware/adware, because task mgr is always disabled upon reboot. In
    addition
    | I'm seeing strange processes listed in task manager that are trying to
    call
    | out to the internet. By disabling the the policy, "Disable Task Manger",
    | was able to launch Task Manager. Your help definitely gave me a
    short-term
    | work-around; however, looks like I have some other disinfecting to do.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Use the Group policy editor
    > %windir%\system32\gpedit.msc
    > User Config\Admin Templates\System\Ctrl+Alt+Del Options|Remove Task
    > Manager="Not Configured"
    >
    > (it's usually spyware/ junkware that sets this Reg_Dword decimal value to 1)
    > DisableTaskMgr
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "scokis" wrote:
    > |I get the "task manager has been disabled by your administrator" any time I
    > | try to run Task Manager. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Click Start, Run and type this command exactly as given below: (better - Copy
    and paste)
    REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v
    DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Use the Group policy editor
    > %windir%\system32\gpedit.msc
    > User Config\Admin Templates\System\Ctrl+Alt+Del Options|Remove Task
    > Manager="Not Configured"
    >
    > (it's usually spyware/ junkware that sets this Reg_Dword decimal value to 1)
    > DisableTaskMgr
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "scokis" wrote:
    > |I get the "task manager has been disabled by your administrator" any time I
    > | try to run Task Manager. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Thank you.

    "joan" wrote:

    > Click Start, Run and type this command exactly as given below: (better - Copy
    > and paste)
    > REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v
    > DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD
    >

    > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    >
    > > Use the Group policy editor
    > > %windir%\system32\gpedit.msc
    > > User Config\Admin Templates\System\Ctrl+Alt+Del Options|Remove Task
    > > Manager="Not Configured"
    > >
    > > (it's usually spyware/ junkware that sets this Reg_Dword decimal value to 1)
    > > DisableTaskMgr
    > > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    > >
    > > "scokis" wrote:
    > > |I get the "task manager has been disabled by your administrator" any time I
    > > | try to run Task Manager. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Microsoft Task Manager Windows