Sign in with
Your question

QX6700 with stock cooler -- are these temperatures normal?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cases
  • Cooling
Last response: in CPUs
December 26, 2006 2:43:00 AM

I have a QX6700 with eVGA 680i and am surprised about the idle and load temperatures with the (currently installed) Intel stock cooler (60C@idle and 81C@load when the case is closed).

I haven't started overclocking or upgrading the heatsink yet because I had quite a few bios related stability issues with the 680i and want to make sure I have a normal baseline at this point.

Setup:

QX6700
EVGA 680i
case well ventilated -- 3 x 120mm case fans
ASUS 8800 GTX
Thermaltake Toughpower 700 W
Corsair Dominator 8500C5

Measurements:

Im going to show output from several tools because they seem to differ.

Idle (case CLOSED):
CoreTemp 0.94b: 60C on all cores (+/- 2C per core)
SpeedFan 4.31: 50C CPU, 25C System
TAT 2.05: 62C CPU0, 65C CPU1

(60C on IDLE seems high to me, but the case is closed of course. Is this normal?!)

Idle (case OPEN):
CoreTemp 0.94b: 53C on all cores (+/- 2C per core)
SpeedFan 4.31: 43C CPU, 14C System
TAT 2.05: 54C CPU0, 56C CPU1

(Wow, opening the case gave me about 10C.)

Load with 2xOrthos, all cores @ 100% load (case CLOSED):
CoreTemp 0.94b: 81C on all cores (+/- 2C per core)
SpeedFan 4.31: 71C CPU, 59C System
TAT 2.05: 82C CPU0, 81C CPU1

(This seems HOT to me.)

Load with 2xOrthos, all cores @ 100% load (case OPEN):
CoreTemp 0.94b: 70C on all cores (+/- 2C per core)
SpeedFan 4.31: 61C CPU, 44C System
TAT 2.05: 71C CPU0, 71C CPU1

(Better, again 10C gain on opening case.)

I don't see much info around on open vs. closed cases when temperatures are reported. What do people commonly report?. Finally, different tools report different temperatures, and I wonder which one I should trust. Speedfan seems off by quite a bit.

The amount of thermal compound on the Intel heatsink was quite small. Maybe I have a bad thermal connection between the sink and the CPU?

More about : qx6700 stock cooler temperatures normal

December 26, 2006 2:45:53 AM

WAY TO HOT

there have been many problems with the factory intel heatsink. you really have to put some serious pressure on these for them to lock into place effectively.

pull it off
clean the heatsink surface
reapply thermal compound
reinstall heastink. make sure those locks pop into place securely. it is damn near scary how much pressure you have to use.
December 26, 2006 2:59:09 AM

Buy a decent aftermarket heatsink and fan.
December 26, 2006 3:03:11 AM

I just checked if the seating is ok. It seems to be locked in place, so it must be the compound.

What temps should I be getting with at idle/load with closed case?
December 26, 2006 3:08:26 AM

Quote:
WAY TO HOT

there have been many problems with the factory intel heatsink. you really have to put some serious pressure on these for them to lock into place effectively.

pull it off
clean the heatsink surface
reapply thermal compound
reinstall heastink. make sure those locks pop into place securely. it is damn near scary how much pressure you have to use.

aint that the truth? Putting the heatsink on my 6700 was pretty freaky.

But ya, that sounds like either its not on fully or you might be needing a better heatsink/fan. And as you said, the thermal connection could be too small as well, but it doesn't take much.
December 26, 2006 3:34:10 AM

Quote:
I just checked if the seating is ok. It seems to be locked in place, so it must be the compound.

What temps should I be getting with at idle/load with closed case?

I've checked around as many sites as possible and the consensus is around 40's C at idle

This is a very common issue with the stock intel cooler. I am very certain it is the seating of the heat sink that is the issue. Just look through the history of this forum. There are probably 20 posts in the past month about high temps with the intel stock cooler. Almost all were solved with re-seating the heat sink. I believe one person actually had it mounted the wrong direction???

A grain of rice is the appropriate amount of thermal compound.

I would seriously suggest ditching the stock cooler for a screw in/back plate designed heat sink.
December 26, 2006 3:57:34 AM

I have a q6700 also, but it is cooled by the Coolit Freezone. Idle at low to mid 30's C, 40-45 under sustained load and overclocked. Although the temps you sight are high, they arent high enough to damage your cpu. Still, I would invest in another air cooler at the least, and would consider more exotic cooling like the Freezone to protect your expensive CPU.

As far as you bios issues, I have a 680i Evga(whole new system which I got a week ago). Had one hell of a time with a wide variety of problems with the system, drives, os,.... you name it. Flashed the bios with new bios upgrade, now it is rock solid. Look into this issue as it is most likely your problem!!!
December 26, 2006 4:11:03 AM

Quote:

This is a very common issue with the stock intel cooler. I am very certain it is the seating of the heat sink that is the issue. Just look through the history of this forum. There are probably 20 posts in the past month about high temps with the intel stock cooler. Almost all were solved with re-seating the heat sink.

I'm probably going to invest in a Zalman 9700 for my setup. Looking at the replies above and other posts, I'm quite convinced and hopeful that my high temps are from the crappy Intel heatsink / seating issues.

Thanks for the input.
December 26, 2006 4:21:51 AM

Quote:
As far as you bios issues, I have a 680i Evga(whole new system which I got a week ago). Had one hell of a time with a wide variety of problems with the system, drives, os,.... you name it. Flashed the bios with new bios upgrade, now it is rock solid. Look into this issue as it is most likely your problem!!!

Similar story here. The bios update (P23 beta) did *most* of the job for me. I had other issues though. One of them was that nvTune had a habbit of throwing away all my bios settings (didn't even use it). I was very close to returning the board before I found that uninstalling nvtune would solve my remaining bios issues. So far I'm still not impressed with the board, but I'm currently shifting the blame over to the Intel heatsink (see above...).
December 26, 2006 11:19:43 AM

Nothing personal but what were you thinking when you drop four figures on a CPU that you intend to OC and stick the stock HSF on it? There's great air HSFs out there for around $60 which is about 5% of what you spent on the CPU. This is kinda like the people who buy a 10 Megapixel camera and keep the 256MB SD in it! :lol: 
December 26, 2006 12:22:12 PM

Quote:
... or worse, plunking 2 grand into a new computer
and then plugging it directly into the wall socket.

Battery back-ups from APC can be had retail
at Office Depot for under $100 now.

The best ones run $150 to $200 -- very cheap
insurance that will surely prolong the life
of your sophisticated electronics.

With so much information now readily available
on the Internet, people really have no excuse
for such outright negligence.

Sincerely yours,
/s/ Paul Andrew Mitchell
Webmaster, Supreme Law Library
http://www.supremelaw.org/
All Rights Reserved without Prejudice

I've got a good one for ya. Knew a guy who plugged his brand new multi-thousand dollar PC into the Onan genny in his trailer. Not even through a spike stick! Poof! :lol: 
December 26, 2006 3:19:38 PM

I was in the office of a guy in front of his PC in this fearsome Florida thunderstorm. Noticing he had no UPS, spike stick, or anything else, I asked him if he had considered unplugging his PC to keep it from getting fried. His reply: "If the lightning hits close, I'll unplug it."

:lol: 
December 26, 2006 7:58:54 PM

Quote:

This is a very common issue with the stock intel cooler. I am very certain it is the seating of the heat sink that is the issue. Just look through the history of this forum. There are probably 20 posts in the past month about high temps with the intel stock cooler. Almost all were solved with re-seating the heat sink.

Ok, so here it is. I installed a Zalman 9500 just now (with Arctiv Silver 5, so the temps might go down with time). All temps measured with TAT 2.05.

Idle (case OPEN):
43C CPU0, 45C CPU1 (was 54C CPU0, 56C CPU1 with stock HSF)

62C CPU0, 63C CPU1 (was 71C CPU0, 71C CPU1 with stock HSF)

Idle (case CLOSED):
49C CPU0, 49C CPU1 (was 62C CPU0, 65C CPU1 with stock HSF)

69C CPU0, 69C CPU1 (was 82C CPU0, 81C CPU1 with stock HSF)

It appears I gained about 10C-13C with the new heatsink. Should I expect more?
December 26, 2006 8:08:45 PM

Quote:

Ok, so here it is. I installed a Zalman 9500 just now (with Arctiv Silver 5, so the temps might go down with time). All temps measured with TAT 2.05.

Idle (case OPEN):
43C CPU0, 45C CPU1 (was 54C CPU0, 56C CPU1 with stock HSF)

62C CPU0, 63C CPU1 (was 71C CPU0, 71C CPU1 with stock HSF)

Idle (case CLOSED):
49C CPU0, 49C CPU1 (was 62C CPU0, 65C CPU1 with stock HSF)

69C CPU0, 69C CPU1 (was 82C CPU0, 81C CPU1 with stock HSF)

It appears I gained about 10C-13C with the new heatsink. Should I expect more?

Still looks hot to me. You're only gonna drop a couple of degrees once the Arctic Silver cures. Are you certain that TAT works with your motherboard? It's usually quite picky about what it works with and what it doesn't.
December 26, 2006 8:28:27 PM

phew! disaster averted. :p 

looks much MUCH better. once the arctic silver cures you will get a few degress lower as CaptRobertApril has mentioned.

seems to me that your case needs a serious upgrade to the cooling system. what case do you have?
December 26, 2006 8:32:18 PM

Quote:
I was in the office of a guy in front of his PC in this fearsome Florida thunderstorm. Noticing he had no UPS, spike stick, or anything else, I asked him if he had considered unplugging his PC to keep it from getting fried. His reply: "If the lightning hits close, I'll unplug it."

When I was about eleven a thunderstorm was rolling through. We started unplugging everything in the house, and the last thing to be unplugged was the computer. A friend at the time was about three feet away from the outlet, and I was standing at the door. Just then a somewhat jagged line was connected from somewhere near the computer, straight through the window to outside.

Moral of the story: Bastard should have been a couple seconds quicker. :twisted:
December 26, 2006 8:43:53 PM

Quote:
phew! disaster averted. :p 
seems to me that your case needs a serious upgrade to the cooling system. what case do you have?

I have an Antec P180. It has four 120mm case fans. One ontop and one just in the path of the HSF (both blowing out). A third is taking care of the power supply and HDs in the (separate) bottom section and a fourth fan supplies air from the front (blowing in).

Any thoughts on that?
December 26, 2006 8:55:31 PM

Quote:

Still looks hot to me. You're only gonna drop a couple of degrees once the Arctic Silver cures. Are you certain that TAT works with your motherboard? It's usually quite picky about what it works with and what it doesn't.

TAT gives me the same temps as Core Temp 0.94b. SpeedFan seems to much lower (see my very initial post on all the different outputs). I didn't get any comments on it, so I went with Core Temp/TAT output.

If my true temperatures are the ones from SpeedFan, that would be great.
December 26, 2006 9:08:33 PM

do you have the optional front fans? may be worth picking those up if you do not.
December 26, 2006 9:17:09 PM

Quote:
do you have the optional front fans? may be worth picking those up if you do not.

The front fan I have is the optional one.
December 26, 2006 11:56:53 PM

well the temps are much better. the only thing i could suggest would be a slot blower to suck the heat off the 8800gtx. that and their are better solutions than the zalman if you intend on doing overclocking.
December 27, 2006 4:28:30 AM

Quote:

When I was about eleven a thunderstorm was rolling through. We started unplugging everything in the house, and the last thing to be unplugged was the computer. A friend at the time was about three feet away from the outlet, and I was standing at the door. Just then a somewhat jagged line was connected from somewhere near the computer, straight through the window to outside.

Moral of the story: Bastard should have been a couple seconds quicker. :twisted:

I find that having a LAN party with my friend Clark Kent during thunderstorms is really handy. He can beat the lightning strike and not even break a sweat! :lol: 

Note to the OP. What are your ambient temps? You in the jungle?
December 27, 2006 5:19:52 AM

I thought Clark Kent died in a freak accident in the West Atlantic. Might be thinking of another Clark Kent. But that makes me think, it might be a good idea before Spring/Summer hit to get an lightnight rod. Could save me and my neighbors quite a bit of suffering.
December 27, 2006 5:28:51 AM

Quote:

TAT gives me the same temps as Core Temp 0.94b. SpeedFan seems to much lower (see my very initial post on all the different outputs). I didn't get any comments on it, so I went with Core Temp/TAT output.

If my true temperatures are the ones from SpeedFan, that would be great.

I've been a steadfast enthusiast of SpeedFan ever since a guy I know compared his SpeedFan readings with the ones from a fancyass gun-like point and read the temp thingy. SpeedFan was barely over 1C off. My BIOS reads almost 10C hotter than my SpeedFan and I pay absolutely no heed to it. SpeedFan pwns.

Quote:
I thought Clark Kent died in a freak accident in the West Atlantic. Might be thinking of another Clark Kent.

Nah. Same Clark. Lex Luthor stabbed him in the side with Kryptonite and threw him in the West Atlantic off NYC. But you probably fell asleep by that time in the movie and Lois Lane and her cuckold boyfriend and snotty superkid flew over in their seaplane and saved him.
December 27, 2006 5:36:14 AM

Ah, so that's what happened. :razz:

The DVD from Blockbuster skipped and stopped so much that to get to the 1 hour mark took an hour and a half. ~Nixed|Darious~. Helps when my computer doesn't have a DVD-ROM drive, and my CPU could never do well as a decoder/encoder to get the file size down to acceptable levels.
December 27, 2006 5:45:12 AM

Quote:
Ah, so that's what happened. :razz:

The DVD from Blockbuster skipped and stopped so much that to get to the 1 hour mark took an hour and a half. So I just hit up Limewire and they hooked me up. Helps when my computer doesn't have a DVD-ROM drive, and my CPU could never do well as a decoder/encoder to get the file size down to acceptable levels.

Hmm... Limewire... is that some sort of new citrus-based Firewire system? I most certainly hope you're not referring to that downloading software or anything to do with torrential rains as that violates the terms of agreement of the forum and then we'd have to grab your avatar by the neck and shave off his whiskers! :lol: 
December 27, 2006 5:52:05 AM

Wait, there's a rule against talking about creating a temporary back-up of a legitimately acquired piece of data? I had no idea, but thanks for cluing me in. :?
December 27, 2006 6:00:41 AM

Quote:
Wait, there's a rule against talking about creating a temporary back-up of a legitimately acquired piece of data? I had no idea, but thanks for cluing me in. :?

"temporary back-up of a legitimately acquired piece of data"... The MPAA's Jack Valenti is foaming at the mouth just reading that phrase! :lol: 
December 27, 2006 6:03:23 AM

I have no idea who Jack Valenti is, but for some reason I find myself laughing due to your comment. Thanks. :) 
December 27, 2006 6:07:05 AM

Quote:
I have no idea who Jack Valenti is, but for some reason I find myself laughing due to your comment. Thanks. :) 

Jack Valenti is the President of the Motion Picture Association of America and lives in a Hollywood mansion built over a dungeon where he chains up pirate downloaders and sticks red hot pokers up their... :lol: 
December 27, 2006 6:11:30 AM

Oh, you mean he's like that guy in that movie I saw a couple weeks back. Buffalo Bob from Joe Dirt? That really wouldn't be too much fun.

But now to check something.

It takes two minutes and fifteen seconds for the QX6700 to encode 24 seconds of and HDTV (1920*1080) mpeg2. Interesting.
December 27, 2006 6:14:44 AM

How does that encoding benchmark stack up to other CPUs?
December 27, 2006 6:22:24 AM

Why, if you'll just check here, all will be revealed. Its even got the top and bottom of the barrel pre-highlighted.
December 27, 2006 6:25:49 AM

Quote:
Why, if you'll just check here, all will be revealed. Its even got the top and bottom of the barrel pre-highlighted.

Holy kwap. E6600 and FX62 at over 4 minutes and it's at 2:15! Yikes. I'm drooling! I haven't wanted anything as bad as my Clovertowns since that stripper in Philly gave me a 20 minute lap dance!!!
December 27, 2006 6:30:20 AM

You know, I think they have help groups for guys like you who want to get their hands on a piece of hardware that badly. :razz:
December 27, 2006 6:41:13 AM

Quote:
You know, I think they have help groups for guys like you who want to get their hands on a piece of hardware that badly. :razz:

And that's after a life where my hands were usually fondling software!

I tried help groups, but I had conflicts with some of the members and the voices in my head made me kill them. Quite regrettable.
December 27, 2006 6:48:45 AM

Maybe locked behind a computer screen is a good idea. Just a thought. :razz:
December 27, 2006 8:19:46 AM

Nah. Won't save ya. I already know where you live. It's near a big Green Bay Packers sign, right? (Everybody in Wisconsin lives near a big Green Bay Packers sign... heheheh)
December 27, 2006 5:08:46 PM

Quote:

Note to the OP. What are your ambient temps? You in the jungle?

Cool basement. Everything under control though, I think. I use a Zalman 9500 now and played a few hours with my case fan layout (very unintuitive). It now idles at 42C and goes to 69C under full 4x100% load (measured with TAT, I don't trust SpeedFan).

Managed to OC it to 3.2GHz without much problems (12x multiplier, vCore 1.375V). It idles at 46C and runs at 74C under 4x100% load. It's quite stable.

I think it runs warmer on stock frequency than I'd like / expected, but seems to do well when OCed.
December 28, 2006 8:31:04 AM

I dunno, dude. Still sounds a bit warm to me. I'd like to see those load temps at least 6-7C cooler. Your ambient temps are fine though, so that's good. Have you tried Speedfan just for the halibut?
December 28, 2006 6:01:54 PM

Quote:
Have you tried Speedfan just for the halibut?

Speedfan gives me about 10C cooler temps consistently. I don't trust it though. CoreTemp and TAT agree. Speedfan is 10C lower.

It would be great if the Speedfan numbers are the true ones, but as long as I don't get some good evidence that Speedfan is correct and the others are off, I go with the higher numbers.

Do you have a Quad? What are your idle/load temps with Speedfan and CoreTemp?
December 28, 2006 7:28:53 PM

Nah, I'm still on AMD!!! Poor me, huh? I'm waiting to rob a bank or sell my gf to buy a 2xClovertown. I became a steadfast believer in Speedfan when a guy I know used a very expensive thermal sensor gun thingy and it always came in within a degree or two of what Speedfan was reporting on his system.
December 28, 2006 10:50:47 PM

Quote:
I became a steadfast believer in Speedfan when a guy I know used a very expensive thermal sensor gun thingy and it always came in within a degree or two of what Speedfan was reporting on his system.

I think it depends on motherboard support and mine (evga 680i) is not supported yet.

The HSF (Zalman 9500) base certainly doesn't feel very hot to the touch when the system is ideling. Slighly above body temperature if at all, which would suggest Speedfan is correct. But who knows what goes on below the surface of the cpu.
December 29, 2006 6:50:34 AM

Quote:
I became a steadfast believer in Speedfan when a guy I know used a very expensive thermal sensor gun thingy and it always came in within a degree or two of what Speedfan was reporting on his system.

I think it depends on motherboard support and mine (evga 680i) is not supported yet.

The HSF (Zalman 9500) base certainly doesn't feel very hot to the touch when the system is ideling. Slighly above body temperature if at all, which would suggest Speedfan is correct. But who knows what goes on below the surface of the cpu.

Do you know anyone who has a thermal sensor gun that you can beg borrow or steal? I think that's gonna be the only way you're going to get a perfectly accurate reading.
!