Sign in with
Your question

XFX 8800GTX core temp very high!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 26, 2006 5:14:43 AM

My 8800GTX card is reading 71oC when idle. And isnt that just a bit too hot??
December 26, 2006 5:30:28 AM

yes it is a bit high for idle, make sure you have good airflow in the case
December 26, 2006 5:32:21 AM

It's not terrible, but it's borderline. How's the ventilation in your case? Did you just get the card or has it gotten hotter and hotter over time? What's the ambient temp in your dwelling?
Related resources
December 26, 2006 5:56:34 AM

He's right. It's not unheard of.

Check you case flow. Is you CPU running about 5C more than others average temps? Also what is you ambient temps around your room. There are so many factors that can easily put you a few degrees higer. The most important temp to record is your load temp. Take some reading during some heavy gaming and let us know what it's reading.

I think my 8800's idle around 64C.
December 26, 2006 6:04:32 AM

My 1950xt was running abt the same @ idle.

I hear most of the new cards are pushed pretty far.
Now its ~45 with water :twisted:
December 26, 2006 6:19:59 AM

Water=good. But ATIs are designed to run hotter. They can weather 100C (not recommended though), a temp that would fry an Nvidia part. Perhaps the 8800s are more heat hardy that the GF 7 parts, not sure though.
December 26, 2006 6:22:08 AM

Quote:
Perhaps the 8800s are more heat hardy that the GF 7 parts, not sure though.

with the idle temps as high as ~70C, they better be.
December 26, 2006 3:47:44 PM

The problem with the 8800 GTX is that there are no air coolers for it, so ur stuck with the stock cooler, and the stock cooler as always.. sucks!

Sell the 8800 GTX and buy an X1950XT :wink:
December 26, 2006 5:58:42 PM

Quote:
The problem with the 8800 GTX is that there are no air coolers for it, so ur stuck with the stock cooler, and the stock cooler as always.. sucks!

Man you are stupid. Yes, he should downgrade because his GPU's running a bit hot... :roll:
December 26, 2006 6:42:52 PM

Quote:

Yeah if he wants all of his framerates to be cut in half and lose future Direct X10 support. :roll:
December 26, 2006 7:26:15 PM

lol
December 26, 2006 9:46:46 PM

Quote:
Perhaps the 8800s are more heat hardy that the GF 7 parts, not sure though.

with the idle temps as high as ~70C, they better be.

Well, there you go :)  .

Regarding Track's comment, the stock on the X1950XT is no prize either, that card still gets plenty hot and pretty noisy with stock, but it gets the job done. I still advocate the Accelero X2 for such a card, much quieter, slightly better performance.

Aftermarket 8800 coolers will soon be available, give it a couple months, or even weeks. They're coming, the cards are too popular for them not to be coming.
December 26, 2006 9:50:25 PM

Quote:

Dee Dee-Dee! Rrrrrretard! So I could basically sell my 7900GTX for a say 6800XT and I could get cooler temps? Most likely, But no.
December 26, 2006 10:00:52 PM

Heh,well, a sapphire x1950xt 256mb single card(well if you want more than 256mb,Get of the crt!,unless you have a more expensive flat panel), has enough to run the new games,depending on your processer,and it will have enough grunt to run games in 2007 that will be writtin in dx9 lauguage,unless the game makers are stupid enough to release there games under vista,in 2007,when it is buggy,(remember xp sp1?)
December 26, 2006 10:28:53 PM

But Microsoft said they're going to scan every inch of code to make sure it's ready for wide release! :lol: 
December 26, 2006 10:48:05 PM

Quote:
Heh,well, a sapphire x1950xt 256mb single card(well if you want more than 256mb,Get of the crt!,unless you have a more expensive flat panel), has enough to run the new games,depending on your processer,and it will have enough grunt to run games in 2007 that will be writtin in dx9 lauguage,unless the game makers are stupid enough to release there games under vista,in 2007,when it is buggy,(remember xp sp1?)

Eh?

What difference does having a TFT monitor or a CRT monitor make to amount of gfx ram?

The only thing I can think of is that you are aiming this at the fact that most TFTs sold run at that horrible 1280x1024 "Inverse-Widescreen" 5:4 resolution, where owners of CRTs often use 1600x1200.

Apart from the fact that a high end CRT is better than most TFTs about for gaming and colour rendition, resolution stopped having a noticeable impact on VRAM usage years ago. VRAM these days is eaten up by massive uncompressed textures for the most part, and the resolution is not a factor in this.

Having upgraded recently from a heavily overclocked 7900GT (740/1400), which performed around the level of an x1900XT, to an 8800GTX, I'd say there IS a significant difference.

Oblivion is leaps and bounds better, HDR+AA rocks. Most other games that before I didn't have the GPU power to run AA on, or only low levels of AA, I now run fine in 16xQ AA.

Telling him his GPU is a little hot so he should go out and buy... an R580 based GPU that also runs hot, and performs nowhere near as well... is just silly.

There are a few DX10 games scheduled for 2007, that will be Vista only.

Anyway, my 8800GTX idles around 54°C. At 100% fan speed set with nTune, it idles around 49°C. I would say yours is a little hot therefore.

What is your case airflow like? My intake fans blow air over my HDDs in the direction of my GPU, and I run without the side on the case, so I may be a little lower than average.

What's the load temp like? That's what really matters!
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2006 4:17:25 AM

That does seem a bit hot.
Check your case's airflow and check for ventilation obstructions.
Make shure you have at least 1 intake fan in the front and 1 exhaust fan in the rear.

My GTS @ 620/950 idles around 50-55c and maxes out about 81c.
December 27, 2006 12:47:52 PM

My 8800 GTX idles around 55-60C and it goes up to 80 Celsius under heavy gaming. It was about 10C hotter with a case with not so great airflow.
Now i am using the Antec nine hundred case :) 
December 29, 2006 3:03:27 PM

71c is not unheard of and nowhere near dangerous as long as your load temps are below 85c. Here is the solution that solved my high idle temps:

1. Download Rivatuner
2. Go into the Low Level Setting section
3. Set your GPU fan to run 100%
4. Check the "Apply Settings at Windows Startup"

8800 gtx's have a design flaw in which they only go to 100% fan capacity when they are at full load. The nTune fan settings did not work for me, but you have a single card so it might for you. After doing this, you should see an idle drop of 8-10c.
December 31, 2006 12:54:03 PM

When im playing oblivion it maxes out at 75c. hasnt gone above that.

and another thing i wanna know is why the card can handle oblivion and get jerky when playing NFS carbon.
December 31, 2006 1:21:53 PM

Quote:
When im playing oblivion it maxes out at 75c. hasnt gone above that.

and another thing i wanna know is why the card can handle oblivion and get jerky when playing NFS carbon.

Because NFS Carbon is a piece of crap EA game that was ported from the XBOX 360 and they did a shite job just like every other console game that was ported from the console. Same problem i have with R6 Vegas. It runs like crap.
December 31, 2006 2:09:18 PM

My 8800GTX idles at 55-60'C and can get anywhere up to 70-80'C at full load with the fan set at stock speeds (1375 RPM at idle). And when i increased my fan to 100% it droped my load temp down by 5'c so below 75'C ( that was at 2710 Rpm). Hope this helps. Also i would check the temps with the side of your case off to find if it is just the circulation in your case.

Apache
December 31, 2006 2:19:29 PM

What the hell is that huge block on top your CPU?
December 31, 2006 5:02:18 PM

[/quote]
Because NFS Carbon is a piece of crap EA game that was ported from the XBOX 360 and they did a shite job just like every other console game that was ported from the console. Same problem i have with R6 Vegas. It runs like crap.[/quote]

No kidding. If you beleive it, there's a noticable drop in FPS at some points in R6 Vegas on my system (specs in sig) which is utterly ridiculous. I can't imagine how bad it is on mid-range PCs.

It's crap that EA and Ubisoft aren't optimizing their console ports (NFS, GRAW, R6...). Unfortunately, this trend is probably just going to get worse.
December 31, 2006 6:31:16 PM

Well until the PC game makers finally wake up and start making PC games that don't suck. I have my faith in DX10.
December 31, 2006 6:33:44 PM

Quote:
What the hell is that huge block on top your CPU?

LMAO :lol:  Tuniq Tower 120! keeps my E6400 nice and cool at 3.5ghz :wink: There is acually a 120mm fan that comes with that heatsink but its nicely hidden in the middle to give a push and pull type of airflow effect.

Very nice job Rob. I would over clock my AMD X2 4600 but i am a wuss :) 
Also i don't see no reason for it yet. The console post games running like crap on my system but that will not change with over clocking either.
January 2, 2007 12:06:08 AM

hey, you know what. i set the fan manually to 100% and idle temp dropped to 58C. :lol: 
January 2, 2007 3:27:46 AM

Quote:
hey, you know what. i set the fan manually to 100% and idle temp dropped to 58C. :lol: 

Glad it worked. Did you need to use RivaTuner to adjust the fan settings or did nTune work?

For some reason, RivaTuner is the only program that sets both my cards to 100%...
January 3, 2007 5:43:05 AM

ntune also worked. maybe cos its only 1 card.
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2007 6:24:01 AM

Quote:
My 8800GTX card is reading 71oC when idle. And isnt that just a bit too hot??

in aircon in a 092 mesh case with 2x12cm case fans my 8800GTS idles at 67 (albatron)

well actually at work should i say ;)  i dont own a geforce8... yet...
January 3, 2007 7:02:49 AM

Ok, I know I'm gonna get a flame or two for this, but dude, you're running 200+ watts of power through a piece of silicon smaller than a dime! Did you expect it to run cold? You either need to get serious airflow through your case, use liquid cooling or both. The heat generated by your card is going to cause overheating in other components and will kill the lifespan of your system. Make sure the room you have it in has a temp of 60 to 65 degrees[F]. Sorry if I sound like an ahole, just trying to deal out some common sense....
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2007 10:21:27 AM

Quote:
Ok, I know I'm gonna get a flame or two for this, but dude, you're running 200+ watts of power through a piece of silicon smaller than a dime! Did you expect it to run cold? You either need to get serious airflow through your case, use liquid cooling or both. The heat generated by your card is going to cause overheating in other components and will kill the lifespan of your system. Make sure the room you have it in has a temp of 60 to 65 degrees[F]. Sorry if I sound like an ahole, just trying to deal out some common sense....

pffftttt

60 to 65 degrees [F]? in Australia were lucky if we get temps near that for even a few months a year

components are fine at double that temp even, above that and then we start to worry a little
January 3, 2007 11:15:50 AM

Quote:
Water=good. But ATIs are designed to run hotter. They can weather 100C (not recommended though), a temp that would fry an Nvidia part. Perhaps the 8800s are more heat hardy that the GF 7 parts, not sure though.

Isn't it " they run hotter due to the design", rather than they are designed to run hotter ?
January 3, 2007 11:25:26 AM

Nowadays the graphics cards are much more powerful and consumes lots of power. It's not design to run hot but rather design to operate at such high temperature. And that's why some have huge and sometimes loud coolers.
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2007 3:38:12 AM

Quote:
Nowadays the graphics cards are much more powerful and consumes lots of power. It's not design to run hot but rather design to operate at such high temperature. And that's why some have huge and sometimes loud coolers.

Video cards coolers atleast for high end cards are actually getting bigger then CPU HSF's! but all cause of the somewhat limited space.

I remember people laughing at the FX5800's dual slot "vacume" cooler, and ATi fanboys dissing it, now its a standard for most high end cards. Atleast when the geforce 6 (at the time, same as the 7 and 8) doubled the performance, it didnt double the cooler size! :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
!