Windows 2000 Professional startup problem

Hi everyone,

I have an old Toshiba laptop with Windows 2000 Professional (SP4, I belive).
Early this morning I went into add/remove programs and remove an unused
"Logitech Mouseware", and the system prompted for: "do you want to reboot
now?" - I said yes, and since then I'm unable to startup the machine.

It gets to the screen "press control+alt+del to begin", but when I press the
keys nothing moves ..... AT ALL - it seems that the machine doesn´t "see" the
keyboard. I've tried to reboot in safe mode, but I get stucked in the same
"press control+alt+del to begin" screen again and again.

Has anyone seen this before ? Any ideas on how to move forward from this
point ?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm about to jump out of the window !!!!

Thanks
Ana Marques

No i have not had this problem buy you could try reinstalling windows overtop
of your current windows to correct this problem

"Ana Marques" wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have an old Toshiba laptop with Windows 2000 Professional (SP4, I belive).
> Early this morning I went into add/remove programs and remove an unused
> "Logitech Mouseware", and the system prompted for: "do you want to reboot
> now?" - I said yes, and since then I'm unable to startup the machine.
>
> It gets to the screen "press control+alt+del to begin", but when I press the
> keys nothing moves ..... AT ALL - it seems that the machine doesn´t "see" the
> keyboard. I've tried to reboot in safe mode, but I get stucked in the same
> "press control+alt+del to begin" screen again and again.
>
> Has anyone seen this before ? Any ideas on how to move forward from this
> point ?
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I'm about to jump out of the window !!!!
>
> Thanks
> Ana Marques

Does the laptop have usb ports? If so, you might try a usb keyboard. I don't
know how much work you want to put into this but if the machine is
networked, you could use a third party utility to blank the Administrator
password, then connect to the registry over a network and enable auto logon,
then use the touchpad/mouse and the on-screen keyboard to reinstall your
software. Post back if you need details.
Louis

"Ana Marques" <Ana Marques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have an old Toshiba laptop with Windows 2000 Professional (SP4, I
belive).
> Early this morning I went into add/remove programs and remove an unused
> "Logitech Mouseware", and the system prompted for: "do you want to reboot
> now?" - I said yes, and since then I'm unable to startup the machine.
>
> It gets to the screen "press control+alt+del to begin", but when I press
the
> keys nothing moves ..... AT ALL - it seems that the machine doesn´t "see"
the
> keyboard. I've tried to reboot in safe mode, but I get stucked in the same
> "press control+alt+del to begin" screen again and again.
>
> Has anyone seen this before ? Any ideas on how to move forward from this
> point ?
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I'm about to jump out of the window !!!!
>
> Thanks
> Ana Marques

codigo

"Ana Marques" <Ana Marques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have an old Toshiba laptop with Windows 2000 Professional (SP4, I
belive).
> Early this morning I went into add/remove programs and remove an unused
> "Logitech Mouseware", and the system prompted for: "do you want to reboot
> now?" - I said yes, and since then I'm unable to startup the machine.
>
> It gets to the screen "press control+alt+del to begin", but when I press
the
> keys nothing moves ..... AT ALL - it seems that the machine doesn´t "see"
the
> keyboard. I've tried to reboot in safe mode, but I get stucked in the same
> "press control+alt+del to begin" screen again and again.
>
> Has anyone seen this before ? Any ideas on how to move forward from this
> point ?
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I'm about to jump out of the window !!!!
>
> Thanks
> Ana Marques

Try starting the system in safe mode (F8 for boot menu - Safe Mode). I know
this a laptop, but not the model specs: can you toggle the num Lock key?

It's an old Toshiba Tecra 8100 and does not have USB ports, but I've tried
connecting an external keyboard on the PS2 port and still doesn´t work.
The machine as tons of "rubish" installed and it connects to an outside
network with a dedicated line, but I've also disconnected the network cabel
to try to boot it.
Trying the F8 is not an option, because I get stuck again in the same
"ctrl-alt-del to begin" screen.
Any more inputs?
Thanks
A.