Linksys WVC54G Web Cam issues

Anybody here has successfully deployed the subject Web camera? If so,
I'd like to know how. I was able to get it configured with Ethernet
connection hooked up to my BEFW11S4 Ver. 2 Linksys firewall router in an
infrastracture mode but the cam seems to drop off the line so often as
to make it pretty useless as a home security video camera. My first
attempt at wireless mode failed, but I haven't given up on that one yet.
I also don't have high hopes to view the video remotely over the
Internet. One of the most frustrating things about this cam is that
once it goes off the line, it takes at least half an hour, with
disconnected power supply, to reset itself so it can be booted up again
with the power cord attached. I figure it must use a very persistent
memory or something.
I hope one of you has had a better luck with it and can share your
secrets with me.

Thanks,
Rudy
4 answers Last reply
More about linksys wvc54g issues

    If you haven't done so, give it a fixed IP so it doesn't loose connection
    with lease renewals ... might be getting wifi interference by your or a
    neighbors 2.4g phone causing your drops. Reload firmware after a reset
    sometimes fixes things too.

    "bumtracks" <lost@disney.lan> wrote:
    > If you haven't done so, give it a fixed IP so it doesn't loose
    > connection with lease renewals ... might be getting wifi interference
    > by your or a neighbors 2.4g phone causing your drops. Reload
    > firmware after a reset sometimes fixes things too.

    It just occured to me that perhaps the problem is with the cable
    service provider Comcast which seems to require continuous Internet
    activity on my part to keep the connection alive. I've noticed it with
    this and another news server that if I don't do anything for some
    minutes and then I try to do something again, I am told that the server
    is off line and if I want to try the access again. It used to be with
    dialup ISPs that way and I had to run a small Windows utility to keep
    the connection alive. I wonder if this is what Comcast is doing, too, to
    prevent server operations by us or just to allow more customers using
    its service while others are idle.

    By the way, you did not address the reset issue. Is it taking half an
    hour for you, too?

    Rudy

    > By the way, you did not address the reset issue. Is it taking half an
    > hour for you, too?

    Actually, I never have problems that I haven't caused myself due to lack
    of knowledge or typo's because I'm pretty much blind other than an
    occasional bad ethernet connection. Siemens,, I certainly wont recommend
    their premade cables.

    Long reset ...
    loose or bad ether/cable connector would be my first guess and the router
    cable port or wireless port has screwbally data in the routers tables which
    may take a half hour to time out ,,, invisible wifi cable is loose because
    your antenna connector is bum making a similar intermittion corruption or
    other interference on the connection, ;)

    .... unplug cam or press reset in software or the button on the cam and arp
    and everything retention wise inside the cam is cleared instantly.
    Seems lots of people have learned to hate their Linksys network cams - i
    dunno why exactly but personal thoughts are it is joey home owner just
    misunderstanding how to network and really doesn't know how to configure
    the routers and cams configurations.
    Try turning on uPnP in the cam and router and maybe your pc too.

    "bumtracks" <lost@disney.lan> wrote:
    > Actually, I never have problems that I haven't caused myself due to
    > lack of knowledge or typo's because I'm pretty much blind

    Sorry to hear that. I am amazed though how well you function
    despite of it.

    > ... unplug cam or press reset in software or the button on the cam and
    > arp and everything retention wise inside the cam is cleared instantly.
    > Seems lots of people have learned to hate their Linksys network
    > ams - i dunno why exactly but personal thoughts are it is joey
    > home owner just misunderstanding how to network and really doesn't
    > know how to configure the routers and cams configurations.
    > Try turning on uPnP in the cam and router and maybe your pc
    > too.

    UPnP is a security risk and I'll not use it and it's not really
    needed as the camera works with the standard HTML port 80. But I did do
    some more exprimentation and started measuring the time how long it
    takes for the camera to stay on from startup until its indicator light
    go blank. In two consecutive occasions it was the same 20 minutes. That
    suggests to me thermal related cause: some component, possibly in the
    power circuit, warms up excessively over time and the heat causes it to
    fail. That could also explain why it takes so long time off power till I
    can start it again. I might try to get another 5 V power adapter to see
    if the problem is there, though I suspect it's probably in the camera's
    box. In any case, now I have something more concrete to report to the
    Linksys techies.

    Rudy

Webcams Linksys Peripherals