Problem with Terminal Services on 2003

Hello,

I have a few clients that are having the same problem. They have a network
consisting of 1 Windows 2003 Server that is running Active Directory and
Terminal services. Is there a known problem as why the users would have to
have admin right to be able to log in? When a non-admin user logs in they
get authenticated, but no icons appear on the desktop. I am able to launch
Windows Task Manager but unable to run any processes, other than cmd. Is
there something i can change to get this working?

I have checked the event log but there is no errors logged. Please help!!!
Thanks
Chris

codigo

"Chris DeFreitas" <ChrisDeFreitas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:6CB6E199-872D-419B-BFEA-645E3152AE74@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have a few clients that are having the same problem. They have a
network
> consisting of 1 Windows 2003 Server that is running Active Directory and
> Terminal services. Is there a known problem as why the users would have
> have admin right to be able to log in? When a non-admin user logs in they
> get authenticated, but no icons appear on the desktop. I am able to launch
> Windows Task Manager but unable to run any processes, other than cmd. Is
> there something i can change to get this working?
>
> I have checked the event log but there is no errors logged. Please
help!!!
> Thanks
> Chris

Terminal services implies a local logon. Most DCs are configured via GPO to
disallow all but admin, server operators, backup to logon locally. Again, a
terminal logon is a local logon (the session does not exist at the client
station).

Thats one of the reasons that running both a DC and a TS server on the same
server is not recommended.

Codigo, thanks for the reply.

I tested by making a normal user a member of the Server Operators and Backup
Operators group but still not working. I do get logged in but nothing runs..
and when i press CTRL+ALT+END i get the windows security window and if i try
and run the exporer.exe command i see it launch then just disappear.

Chris

message news:0A5393EB-CB27-40D6-8B67-0EBFEE807C00@microsoft.com...
> Codigo, thanks for the reply.
>
> I tested by making a normal user a member of the Server Operators and
Backup
> Operators group but still not working. I do get logged in but nothing
runs..
> and when i press CTRL+ALT+END i get the windows security window and if i
try
> and run the exporer.exe command i see it launch then just disappear.
>
> Chris

Thats just a question of assigning the appropriate NTFS permissions to the
folders that TS clients require. Terminal Services users must have Modify
permissions throughout the Program Files folder, as an example. Kind of
dangerous on a DC. Search google or MS's site for all the modifications
required.