Backup on Windows 2000 Server

I am having a problem with this bloody W2K svr on backup.

This is a W2K box with a Sony DAT drive and has ARCServe installed. I am not
using ARCServe and have held all pending jobs on it. I should really
uninstall ARCServe but I don't believe it is necessary - after all it is a
reputable applicaion.

I am using the generic backup program on W2K for my backup. All updates have
been made to the O/S.

I have scheduled a backup to happen at 1930 every nite. But the following
morning I do not see any files backed up!!

Looking at the report generated tells me that it has not seen any usable
media even though the available boxes have been ticked in the setup of the
scheduled job!!

I have discovered that adding the /UM argument into the backup string found
in the "Properties" of the scheduled job gets everything done correctly.

The only problem is that I need to append /UM to each and every day for
which the job is scheduled :( and it is of cos an infinite series cos I ave
not specified an "End Date" to the backup schedule.

I guess it is in the registry somewhere or I could create a batch file and
run that batch file under Task Scheduler but I prefer to do it thru the
backup if possible.

Do I need to update the generic backup program separately or is there some
other trick to it?

Thank you

On Wed, 04 May 2005 03:32:23 GMT, Moses Lim <hyspeed@zeta.org.au.no.spam.pls> wrote:

>I am having a problem with this bloody W2K svr on backup.
>
>This is a W2K box with a Sony DAT drive and has ARCServe installed. I am not
>using ARCServe and have held all pending jobs on it. I should really
>uninstall ARCServe but I don't believe it is necessary - after all it is a
>reputable applicaion.
>
>I am using the generic backup program on W2K for my backup. All updates have
>been made to the O/S.
>
>I have scheduled a backup to happen at 1930 every nite. But the following
>morning I do not see any files backed up!!
>
>Looking at the report generated tells me that it has not seen any usable
>media even though the available boxes have been ticked in the setup of the
>scheduled job!!
>
>I have discovered that adding the /UM argument into the backup string found
>in the "Properties" of the scheduled job gets everything done correctly.
>
>The only problem is that I need to append /UM to each and every day for
>which the job is scheduled :( and it is of cos an infinite series cos I ave
>not specified an "End Date" to the backup schedule.
>
>I guess it is in the registry somewhere or I could create a batch file and
>run that batch file under Task Scheduler but I prefer to do it thru the
>backup if possible.
>
>Do I need to update the generic backup program separately or is there some
>other trick to it?
>
>Thank you

Just open Scheduled Tasks, right-click the backup schedule and press Properties. Add the /UM.

Better yet, see tip 2265 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

Jerold Schulman wrote:

> On Wed, 04 May 2005 03:32:23 GMT, Moses Lim
> <hyspeed@zeta.org.au.no.spam.pls> wrote:

....snip...

>>The only problem is that I need to append /UM to each and every day for
>>which the job is scheduled :( and it is of cos an infinite series cos I
>>ave not specified an "End Date" to the backup schedule.

....snip...

> Just open Scheduled Tasks, right-click the backup schedule and press
> Properties. Add the /UM.

Yupe, been doing that but as it is an infinite series :(

> Better yet, see tip 2265 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

OK thanks for helping out :)