Major Problem With My External Hard Drive

G

Hi
I have an old 30gb external hard drive which interfaces with my PC via USB cables - one is for data, the other for power, i use the drive to store data and to transfer data from computer to computer. While i was moving from my old one to my new one i backed up my data on it. However, when i attatched the drive to my new computer windows did not recognise it. I looked on the internet to see what i could do and tried all ideas such as running chkdsk, looking under disk management, re-installing USB drivers, removing then installing USB drivers again, changing the USB ports used, putting the drive back into the old computer; so im kinda at a loss on what to do next and any help would be appreciated :)

Computer Specs
Core 2 Duo 6300
1024mb @ 800mhz
Abit AB9 Pro
Sapphire x1950 Pro
Windows XP x64

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated :)

jonmulzer

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I have had two external disk controllers die on me lately. They were cheapies from CompUSA. Both died when I turned them off. Luckily the data on them was still intact, I just had to get new enclosures. This time I stepped up to Vantecs from Newegg. Just guessing by its diminutive size I would guess you have had it for several years and have put it to good use. It may be time to shop for a new enclosure.