MS05-019 (TCP/IP) (893066)

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 4, 2005 6:20:02 AM

We are currently experiencing connection issues from a number (but not all)
of our remote sites. We have recently installed MS05-019 (TCP/IP) (893066)
on the majority of our servers - but not all.
From the remote sites with connection problems, amongst other issues users
cannot use RDP or ICA connections. However, Telnt does work.
We have tested RDP connections direct to servers that have been patched, and
servers that havenpt been patched - and all connections fail.
We therefore think that the issues are probably not connected to the
deployment of MS05-019 (TCP/IP) (893066) - but would welcome comments to
anyone who has had similar issues with this patch.

More about : ms05 019 tcp 893066

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 7:18:28 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;898060

"Jo Winchester" <JoWinchester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are currently experiencing connection issues from a number (but not
> all)
> of our remote sites. We have recently installed MS05-019 (TCP/IP)
> (893066)
> on the majority of our servers - but not all.
> From the remote sites with connection problems, amongst other issues users
> cannot use RDP or ICA connections. However, Telnt does work.
> We have tested RDP connections direct to servers that have been patched,
> and
> servers that havenpt been patched - and all connections fail.
> We therefore think that the issues are probably not connected to the
> deployment of MS05-019 (TCP/IP) (893066) - but would welcome comments to
> anyone who has had similar issues with this patch.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 8:20:02 AM

Thank you for your reply.

The article that you mention suggests adding registry entry :
Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\ID for Adapter
Value Type: REG_DWORD Number
Valid Range: 68 to the MTU of the underlying network
Default: 0xFFFFFFFF

However, article 890345 suggests adding the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\
DWORD Value = TcpWindowSize

Can anyone tell me which is the correct entry to add? I am assuming that it
must be the one in the first article - 898060 - as the other one already
exists on our servers, with a value that looks correct.

Has anyone tried adding the registry values? If so, did they work? And if
they did work, please can you let me know exactly which vaules were set?

Thanks

"neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;898060
>
> "Jo Winchester" <JoWinchester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We are currently experiencing connection issues from a number (but not
> > all)
> > of our remote sites. We have recently installed MS05-019 (TCP/IP)
> > (893066)
> > on the majority of our servers - but not all.
> > From the remote sites with connection problems, amongst other issues users
> > cannot use RDP or ICA connections. However, Telnt does work.
> > We have tested RDP connections direct to servers that have been patched,
> > and
> > servers that havenpt been patched - and all connections fail.
> > We therefore think that the issues are probably not connected to the
> > deployment of MS05-019 (TCP/IP) (893066) - but would welcome comments to
> > anyone who has had similar issues with this patch.

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 8:46:49 AM

I know that setting the MTU value works wonders for meshed point-to-point
VPNs. This allows my domain controllers to replicate needed info. I don't
have terminal servers, but I have heard that MS05-019 can cause issues with
TS as well as file shares. The hotfix mentioned in the KB article is to
address the issues introduced by MS05-019.

So in your case, I would go with the MTU registry edit. Can't tell you what
value to put because that depends on your network infrastructure. For
example in my site, I had to go with 1360 (decimal) in order to stay below
the overhead introduced by the meshed vpn setup.

> Thank you for your reply.
>
> The article that you mention suggests adding registry entry :
> Key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\ID
> for Adapter
> Value Type: REG_DWORD Number
> Valid Range: 68 to the MTU of the underlying network
> Default: 0xFFFFFFFF
>
> However, article 890345 suggests adding the following key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\
> DWORD Value = TcpWindowSize
>
> Can anyone tell me which is the correct entry to add? I am assuming that
> it
> must be the one in the first article - 898060 - as the other one already
> exists on our servers, with a value that looks correct.
>
> Has anyone tried adding the registry values? If so, did they work? And
> if
> they did work, please can you let me know exactly which vaules were set?
>
> Thanks
>

> "neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:
>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;898060
>>
>> "Jo Winchester" <JoWinchester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We are currently experiencing connection issues from a number (but not
>> > all)
>> > of our remote sites. We have recently installed MS05-019 (TCP/IP)
>> > (893066)
>> > on the majority of our servers - but not all.
>> > From the remote sites with connection problems, amongst other issues
>> > users
>> > cannot use RDP or ICA connections. However, Telnt does work.
>> > We have tested RDP connections direct to servers that have been
>> > patched,
>> > and
>> > servers that havenpt been patched - and all connections fail.
>> > We therefore think that the issues are probably not connected to the
>> > deployment of MS05-019 (TCP/IP) (893066) - but would welcome comments
>> > anyone who has had similar issues with this patch.

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 9:30:12 AM

We are not sure what value to put for the new MTU registry value? We are
about to test with the default of 0xffffffff - but this value seems extremely
high?

In the meantime, we have obtained the hotfix from Microsoft that is supposed
to solve this problem. However, appplying the hotfix does not seem to have
resolved the connection problems.

Has anyone applied to Microsoft hotfix successfully?

"neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:

> I know that setting the MTU value works wonders for meshed point-to-point
> VPNs. This allows my domain controllers to replicate needed info. I don't
> have terminal servers, but I have heard that MS05-019 can cause issues with
> TS as well as file shares. The hotfix mentioned in the KB article is to
> address the issues introduced by MS05-019.
>
> So in your case, I would go with the MTU registry edit. Can't tell you what
> value to put because that depends on your network infrastructure. For
> example in my site, I had to go with 1360 (decimal) in order to stay below
> the overhead introduced by the meshed vpn setup.
>
> "Jo Winchester" <JoWinchester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for your reply.
> >
> > The article that you mention suggests adding registry entry :
> > Key:
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\ID
> > for Adapter
> > Value Type: REG_DWORD Number
> > Valid Range: 68 to the MTU of the underlying network
> > Default: 0xFFFFFFFF
> >
> > However, article 890345 suggests adding the following key:
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\
> > DWORD Value = TcpWindowSize
> >
> > Can anyone tell me which is the correct entry to add? I am assuming that
> > it
> > must be the one in the first article - 898060 - as the other one already
> > exists on our servers, with a value that looks correct.
> >
> > Has anyone tried adding the registry values? If so, did they work? And
> > if
> > they did work, please can you let me know exactly which vaules were set?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > "neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;898060
> >>
> >> "Jo Winchester" <JoWinchester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 9:39:49 AM

Because it is extremely high. Most ethernet based networks have an MTU of
1460. If 1460 doesn't work, then adjust the value down. If you don't see
improvement by the time you hit 1300, then I would uninstall MS05-019 to see
if the connectivity problem to TS goes away. (so in this case, uninstall
hotfix, then ms05-019)

By the way, if you have contacted MS and obtained the hotfix. You should
continue to work with them on this issue.

!