Hi everyone

I have XP Pro SP2 aand have just reinstalled my OS from the recovery disc.
I've managed to get everything back to as it was, except disabling the
startup tune. I can't remember how I did this - whether it was a registry
tweak or one of the settings somewhere. I've searched google but haven't
come up with anything.

I know that I could turn the sound off but that's not permanent! Can anyone
remember how to do this? It's driving me nuts!

Gordon

Tosca wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I have XP Pro SP2 aand have just reinstalled my OS from the recovery disc.
> I've managed to get everything back to as it was, except disabling the
> startup tune. I can't remember how I did this - whether it was a registry
> tweak or one of the settings somewhere. I've searched google but haven't
> come up with anything.
>
> I know that I could turn the sound off but that's not permanent! Can anyone
> remember how to do this? It's driving me nuts!

Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - Sounds

"Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone
>
> I have XP Pro SP2 aand have just reinstalled my OS from the recovery disc.
> I've managed to get everything back to as it was, except disabling the
> startup tune. I can't remember how I did this - whether it was a registry
> tweak or one of the settings somewhere. I've searched google but haven't
> come up with anything.
>
> I know that I could turn the sound off but that's not permanent! Can
anyone
> remember how to do this? It's driving me nuts!

Follow other suggestions about Control Panel>Sounds. In the window with
sounds list, click on unwanted one (with the knob icon), then click on
Delete button in top-right. Icon will leave; that sound should not play now
while others are left alone.

Malv

Hi Gordon

Thank you for the quick response. I see that the startup tune is there but
I recall that I disabled it somehow. I think that I got the tip from a NG
or site that suggested that it could shave a whisker off the boot time and
that's one of the reasons that I did it.

Maybe someone else can remeber how to disable the tune?

Just select none at the top of the list.

Tosca wrote:
> Hi Gordon
>
> Thank you for the quick response. I see that the startup tune is there but
> I recall that I disabled it somehow. I think that I got the tip from a NG
> or site that suggested that it could shave a whisker off the boot time and
> that's one of the reasons that I did it.
>
> Maybe someone else can remeber how to disable the tune?

If you don't HAVE a start-up sound, that IS disabling it!

--
gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

To email me replace the obvious!

"Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone
>
> I have XP Pro SP2 aand have just reinstalled my OS from the recovery disc.
> I've managed to get everything back to as it was, except disabling the
> startup tune. I can't remember how I did this - whether it was a registry
> tweak or one of the settings somewhere. I've searched google but haven't
> come up with anything.
>
> I know that I could turn the sound off but that's not permanent! Can
> anyone remember how to do this? It's driving me nuts!

The quickest way to disable or enable system sounds including Start Windows
sound is to right click on the speaker icon (audio) in the notification area
(lower right corner of the taskbar).

Click Adjust Audio Properties. Click Sounds tab. In the window scan down to
Start Windows. Browse to none and click it.