TCP/IP properties window showing incorrect settings

Hi,

We have a weird problem on a Windows 2000 SP3 server (not important but it
is a DC and an Exchange server). The server had to be recovered to a
different hardware platform (IBM to Compaq) due to a hardware problem. After
a sucessful recovery we noticed that the 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Properties' window was incorrectly showing the network connection as 'obtain
an IP address (or DNS server)automatically', where ipconfig showed the
correct static IP address. We have now repaired the old server and
sucessfully restored the server back to it's IBM hardware and this fault
still exists, so far we have done the following to try and resolve this with
no effect:

1) Removed the network card from device manager and reinstalled using fresh
drivers

2) Manually gone through the registry and cleaned out any GUID references to
old network connections

3) Set the server to use DHCP and then reconfigurd the static IP / DNS /
WINS settings

All tests show the server is using the static IP address as per ipconfig,
however if you make any change in the GUI, without filling in all details
(i.e. just adding a DNS server), and click OK it will then change the
network connection to use DHCP with the static assigned DNS server.

As indicated above if you set all setings in the GUI and click OK it will
correctly apply the settings, but the next time you enter the GUI it shows
you are obtaining automatically.

While this isn't causing a critical issue it is only a matter of time before
someone plays and accedentially sets the NC to use DHCP so if anyone has any
ideas on this issue that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Hi,
I had the same problem.... after our ISA's motherboard burned, I replaced
it with different manufacture.... after booting Windows 2K3 I have noticed
same problem / bug .... after browsing in registry for whole day I managed
somehow to fix it.....
Removing network card from device manager and reinstalled using fresh
drivers wont help

"Leon Leeds" <Leon Leeds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> We have a weird problem on a Windows 2000 SP3 server (not important but it
> is a DC and an Exchange server). The server had to be recovered to a
> different hardware platform (IBM to Compaq) due to a hardware problem.
> After
> a sucessful recovery we noticed that the 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
> Properties' window was incorrectly showing the network connection as
> 'obtain
> an IP address (or DNS server)automatically', where ipconfig showed the
> correct static IP address. We have now repaired the old server and
> sucessfully restored the server back to it's IBM hardware and this fault
> still exists, so far we have done the following to try and resolve this
> with
> no effect:
>
> 1) Removed the network card from device manager and reinstalled using
> fresh
> drivers
>
> 2) Manually gone through the registry and cleaned out any GUID references
> old network connections
>
> 3) Set the server to use DHCP and then reconfigurd the static IP / DNS /
> WINS settings
>
> All tests show the server is using the static IP address as per ipconfig,
> however if you make any change in the GUI, without filling in all details
> (i.e. just adding a DNS server), and click OK it will then change the
> network connection to use DHCP with the static assigned DNS server.
>
> As indicated above if you set all setings in the GUI and click OK it will
> correctly apply the settings, but the next time you enter the GUI it shows
> you are obtaining automatically.
>
> While this isn't causing a critical issue it is only a matter of time
> before
> someone plays and accedentially sets the NC to use DHCP so if anyone has
> any
> ideas on this issue that would be great.
>
> Thanks in advance

Hi,

I don't suppose you have any idea where in the registry?

"Hool" wrote:

> Hi,
> I had the same problem.... after our ISA's motherboard burned, I replaced
> it with different manufacture.... after booting Windows 2K3 I have noticed
> same problem / bug .... after browsing in registry for whole day I managed
> somehow to fix it.....
> Removing network card from device manager and reinstalled using fresh
> drivers wont help
>

> "Leon Leeds" <Leon Leeds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have a weird problem on a Windows 2000 SP3 server (not important but it
> > is a DC and an Exchange server). The server had to be recovered to a
> > different hardware platform (IBM to Compaq) due to a hardware problem.
> > After
> > a sucessful recovery we noticed that the 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
> > Properties' window was incorrectly showing the network connection as
> > 'obtain
> > an IP address (or DNS server)automatically', where ipconfig showed the
> > correct static IP address. We have now repaired the old server and
> > sucessfully restored the server back to it's IBM hardware and this fault
> > still exists, so far we have done the following to try and resolve this
> > with
> > no effect:
> >
> > 1) Removed the network card from device manager and reinstalled using
> > fresh
> > drivers
> >
> > 2) Manually gone through the registry and cleaned out any GUID references
> > old network connections
> >
> > 3) Set the server to use DHCP and then reconfigurd the static IP / DNS /
> > WINS settings
> >
> > All tests show the server is using the static IP address as per ipconfig,
> > however if you make any change in the GUI, without filling in all details
> > (i.e. just adding a DNS server), and click OK it will then change the
> > network connection to use DHCP with the static assigned DNS server.
> >
> > As indicated above if you set all setings in the GUI and click OK it will
> > correctly apply the settings, but the next time you enter the GUI it shows
> > you are obtaining automatically.
> >
> > While this isn't causing a critical issue it is only a matter of time
> > before
> > someone plays and accedentially sets the NC to use DHCP so if anyone has
> > any
> > ideas on this issue that would be great.
> >
> > Thanks in advance

To display hidden devices, non-Plug and Play devices, and devices not
attached to the computer (commonly known as "ghosted" or "phantom" devices)
Save the following two lines as a file then execute.

--------------------------setdev.bat---------------------
set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
start devmgmt.msc

Then, View|Show Hidden Devices to remove or reconfigure these devices. Do
not edit the registry.

How to Remove and Reinstall TCP/IP for Windows 2000 (Q285034)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=285034

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Leon Leeds" wrote:
> [...]
ipconfig,
| > > however if you make any change in the GUI, without filling in all
details
| > > (i.e. just adding a DNS server), and click OK it will then change the
| > > network connection to use DHCP with the static assigned DNS server.
| > >
| > > As indicated above if you set all setings in the GUI and click OK it
will
| > > correctly apply the settings, but the next time you enter the GUI it
shows
| > > you are obtaining automatically.
| > >
| > > While this isn't causing a critical issue it is only a matter of time
| > > before
| > > someone plays and accedentially sets the NC to use DHCP so if anyone
has
| > > any
| > > ideas on this issue that would be great.

Thanks for the post, but unfortunately doesn not help.

Kind regards

Leon

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> To display hidden devices, non-Plug and Play devices, and devices not
> attached to the computer (commonly known as "ghosted" or "phantom" devices)
> Save the following two lines as a file then execute.
>
> --------------------------setdev.bat---------------------
> set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
> start devmgmt.msc
>
> Then, View|Show Hidden Devices to remove or reconfigure these devices. Do
> not edit the registry.
>
> How to Remove and Reinstall TCP/IP for Windows 2000 (Q285034)
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=285034
>

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Leon Leeds" wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | I don't suppose you have any idea where in the registry?
> |
> | "Hool" wrote:
> |
> | > Hi,
> | > I had the same problem.... after our ISA's motherboard burned, I
> replaced
> | > it with different manufacture.... after booting Windows 2K3 I have
> noticed
> | > same problem / bug .... after browsing in registry for whole day I
> managed
> | > somehow to fix it.....
> | > Removing network card from device manager and reinstalled using fresh
> | > drivers wont help
> | >

> | > "Leon Leeds" <Leon Leeds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> but it
> fault
> this

> references

> /

> ipconfig,
> details

> will
> shows

> has

sorry no,
it was almost two years ago :(
I think I was searching for IP address as a string

> Hi,
>
> I don't suppose you have any idea where in the registry?
>
> "Hool" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I had the same problem.... after our ISA's motherboard burned, I
>> replaced
>> it with different manufacture.... after booting Windows 2K3 I have
>> noticed
>> same problem / bug .... after browsing in registry for whole day I
>> managed
>> somehow to fix it.....
>> Removing network card from device manager and reinstalled using fresh
>> drivers wont help
>>

>> "Leon Leeds" <Leon Leeds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > We have a weird problem on a Windows 2000 SP3 server (not important but
>> > it
>> > is a DC and an Exchange server). The server had to be recovered to a
>> > different hardware platform (IBM to Compaq) due to a hardware problem.
>> > After
>> > a sucessful recovery we noticed that the 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
>> > Properties' window was incorrectly showing the network connection as
>> > 'obtain
>> > an IP address (or DNS server)automatically', where ipconfig showed the
>> > correct static IP address. We have now repaired the old server and
>> > sucessfully restored the server back to it's IBM hardware and this
>> > fault
>> > still exists, so far we have done the following to try and resolve this
>> > with
>> > no effect:
>> >
>> > 1) Removed the network card from device manager and reinstalled using
>> > fresh
>> > drivers
>> >
>> > 2) Manually gone through the registry and cleaned out any GUID
>> > references
>> > old network connections
>> >
>> > 3) Set the server to use DHCP and then reconfigurd the static IP / DNS
>> > /
>> > WINS settings
>> >
>> > All tests show the server is using the static IP address as per
>> > ipconfig,
>> > however if you make any change in the GUI, without filling in all
>> > details
>> > (i.e. just adding a DNS server), and click OK it will then change the
>> > network connection to use DHCP with the static assigned DNS server.
>> >
>> > As indicated above if you set all setings in the GUI and click OK it
>> > will
>> > correctly apply the settings, but the next time you enter the GUI it
>> > shows
>> > you are obtaining automatically.
>> >
>> > While this isn't causing a critical issue it is only a matter of time
>> > before
>> > someone plays and accedentially sets the NC to use DHCP so if anyone
>> > has
>> > any
>> > ideas on this issue that would be great.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance

Hi,

We still haven't resolved this problem. Does anyone have any fresh ideas?

regards

Leon