Sort My Documents

When I click on START - DOCUMENTS - MY DOCUMENTS, I get huge list of documents
that aren't sorted the way they are when I just open MY DOCUMENTS.

How do I get this to sort right?

From the menu View|Arrange Icons By

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

On 4-May-2005, "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote:

> From the menu View|Arrange Icons By

If I open the folder, it is arranged (My Documents for some reason has
autoarrange greyed out).

But when I click on START, move my cursor to DOCUMENTS, and then to MY
DOCUMENTS, this list appears to be in alphabetic order, but when I page down a
hundred documents, I find stuff I just created last week down on the bottom, out
of order.

I don't see any option to View/Arrange Icons here the way I do when I open a
folder.

I don't have a Start|Documents You might try View|Details then click the
column headers to sort as needed.

--

"Howard Brazee"wrote:
| If I open the folder, it is arranged (My Documents for some reason has
| autoarrange greyed out).
|
| But when I click on START, move my cursor to DOCUMENTS, and then to MY
| DOCUMENTS, this list appears to be in alphabetic order, but when I page
down a
| hundred documents, I find stuff I just created last week down on the
bottom, out
| of order.
|
| I don't see any option to View/Arrange Icons here the way I do when I open
| folder.

On 4-May-2005, "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote:

> Might be you're looking at Recent Documents? These would be in the order of
> last viewed. Some registry settings that control behavior.
>
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
>
> Below are all type REG_DWORD
>
> ClearRecentDocsOnExit=0
> NoRecentDocsMenu=0
> NoRecentDocsHistory=0
> MaxRecentDocs=0xF (decimal 15)
> ClearRecentDocsOnExit=0

I don't have privilege to add these elements, and it's unlikely that tech
support would add it. But looking at the order, it is not in last viewed
order.

I hit START, then put my mouse over DOCUMENTS. A window opens up to the right
with my recent documents on the bottom, and a horizontal line above them, and a
folder for My Documents with an > to the right. I put my cursor over My
Documents, and the explorer lists everything in My Documents. These may be in
Date Created order.

I just did a search on "My Documents", and found a shortcut in C:\Documents and
Settings\brazee\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent

I wonder if that's what I'm seeing. It's real convenient - but I want it
sorted.

Yep that sounds like it. I left out some detail. The default is to list the
last 15 (recently opened) in (alphabetical order) You mentioned hundreds of
entries. Sounds like the REG_DWORD
MaxRecentDocs
found at
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

was adjusted up.

--

On 5-May-2005, "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote:

> Yep that sounds like it. I left out some detail. The default is to list the
> last 15 (recently opened) in (alphabetical order) You mentioned hundreds of
> entries. Sounds like the REG_DWORD
> MaxRecentDocs
> found at
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
>
> was adjusted up.

Nope. My recent files is still at 15. The My Documents folder which I get to
via this has hundreds of documents.

Every once in a while, I go to the *real* recents directory, and purge out most
of the stuff. I didn't realize until now that I have multiple recents
directories, one for Office, and one for everything else.

OK I'm confused. Which were you wanting to sort? The fifteen or the hundreds
or more? The former you can't control. The latter you can View|Details then

"Howard Brazee" wrote:
| Nope. My recent files is still at 15. The My Documents folder which I
get to
| via this has hundreds of documents.
|
| Every once in a while, I go to the *real* recents directory, and purge out
most
| of the stuff. I didn't realize until now that I have multiple recents
| directories, one for Office, and one for everything else.

On 5-May-2005, "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote:

> OK I'm confused. Which were you wanting to sort? The fifteen or the hundreds
> or more? The former you can't control. The latter you can View|Details then
> click the column headers to sort as needed.

When I click on START, and then move my cursor to DOCUMENTS, a side window pops
up. The top of this side window is a folder pointing to "My Documents".
Under this is a horizontal line and the 15 most recently opened documents. To
the right of "My Documents" is a > pointer. I hold my cursor over "My
Documents", and I have an explorer view of everything in "My Documents".

Except that this view isn't sorted the same way as if I opened explorer and went
down to My Documents. My most recently created documents are at the bottom.
There is no "View/Details" option here.

Doesn't anybody else have this set-up? Oh well, I'm fairly high on the list
for a new computer, and will be on XP then.

No toolbar, no menu?

--

"Howard Brazee" wrote:
| When I click on START, and then move my cursor to DOCUMENTS, a side window
pops
| up. The top of this side window is a folder pointing to "My Documents".
| Under this is a horizontal line and the 15 most recently opened documents.
| the right of "My Documents" is a > pointer. I hold my cursor over "My
| Documents", and I have an explorer view of everything in "My Documents".
|
| Except that this view isn't sorted the same way as if I opened explorer
and went
| down to My Documents. My most recently created documents are at the
bottom.
| There is no "View/Details" option here.
|

| Doesn't anybody else have this set-up? Oh well, I'm fairly high on the
list
| for a new computer, and will be on XP then.

On 5-May-2005, "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote:

> No toolbar, no menu?

Nope. It's just like the program menu.

I also have two "Shortcut to My Computer" icons in
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu

The Shortcut to My Computer (2) opens up this way, but I have no idea where this
is set.

I just discovered. I can move documents by hand here in this "my documents"
menu. Drag it like I do in the program menu.

As an alternative; how about Control Panel|Folder Options|View, then check
the box for "Show My Documents on the Desktop"

--

"Howard Brazee" wrote:
| Nope. It's just like the program menu.
|
| I also have two "Shortcut to My Computer" icons in
| C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
|
| The Shortcut to My Computer (2) opens up this way, but I have no idea
where this
| is set.
|

| I just discovered. I can move documents by hand here in this "my
documents"
| menu. Drag it like I do in the program menu.

On 5-May-2005, "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote:

> As an alternative; how about Control Panel|Folder Options|View, then check
> the box for "Show My Documents on the Desktop"

I wasn't familiar with that. I've have some folders in my START menu, and I
prefer that. I would prefer not to have *anything* on my desktop, but now that
the Office Bar has gone away (with MS Office 2003), I am using the Desktop
option on the task bar.

I just noticed - one of the options that can be checked off in the task bar
advanced options is "Expand My Documents". I bet this is what I'm looking at
and wish was sorted correctly.

> When I click on START - DOCUMENTS - MY DOCUMENTS, I get huge list of documents
> that aren't sorted the way they are when I just open MY DOCUMENTS.
>
> How do I get this to sort right?

Solved. I need to right click my task bar, select properties, go to the
advanced tab and hit the sort button. I suppose I will have to do it as often
as it takes.

There are a bunch of options here that I don't understand, even after playing
with them.

Yep probably is.