Palm/pocket PC and mountainbiking/trekking

March 24, 2005 4:59:31 PM

Hi
I've been using various portable GPS for years (summit, vista, etc.)

I use GPS mainly for trekking and mtb, so off the beaten tracks.

I've recently found and/or scanned topo treeking/bike which I see and
edit with mapping software such as Ozi Explorer. I cannot import them
on my portable GPS.

I usually plan my trip on PC, transfer tracks/waypoints on portable
GPS. Back home I transfer data from GPS to PC and check where I've
actually been.

For these reasons now that I want to upgrade I did not consider the
recent portable GPS such as Garmin 60CS which I'd relly like by the
way.

Now is time for a major upgrade, namely use Ozi Explorer or similar
directly on palm/pocket PC and see my home-mad maps while
walking/bicycling.

Rather than integrated palm such us IQUE or Mio, I'd prefer to buy
the palm/pocket I prefer, possibly with integrated phone, and add a
Bluetooth GPS Receiver, for instance the brand new Globalsat BT-338
that seems to be great in deep forest where I usually go.

The idea is to keep the receiver on the top my backpack and the
palm/pocket PC on the handle bars or on my hand while walking

What do you think? Will it work? Any idea is really welcomed
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 2:41:46 AM

I've had a Navman PIN for a few months now, and while I've read some bad
reviews for it on the net, I've never had any problems with mine. I love it.
It's got built in GPS and comes with maps for all of North America. If you
want to load all the maps, you'll need a 1GB card though.

The only problem I've found is that it doesn't do well mapping you when you
get off the beaten path. I like to ride quads, and when I get a ways off the
road, it will show my location, but it's not close to anything. But if I was
to get lost, I could just zoom out some until a road shows up on the map,
then navigate to that.

Besides the GPS (which is built in, did I say that?), it has all other
functions of a Pocket PC 2003. No Wi Fi, but you can buy an SD Wi Fi for
about $100 or so. But it does video, MP3, Pics, etc...hope that helps!

Andy

!