Vertical Taskbar loses width after logout

January 19, 2005 2:42:31 PM

I prefer to use a vertical Taskbar in Windows XP. However, everytime I log
out and log back in, the width changes and I have to reset it. How can I get
the width to stick when using the vertical taskbar?

More info: I have this problem on 4 machines that I use. Two of them use
Office 2000, one has Office XP & 2003. One is Office 2003 only. I'm not
aware of a speech utility being in use in any of them. I do have the
language bar on all 4 machines. I use the Quick Launch with small icons.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 10:50:22 PM

The speech utility (in the language bar) installs when you install Office
unless you customize the installation. My response to your previous post
was a suggestion that you look closely at what is installed on your machine
rather than the Windows taskbar itself. When I had this problem I never
found a taskbar setting that helped, but I did eventually discover a program
that was installed that did solve the problem when I closed the program. In
my case it was connected with the language bar. Your situation may vary,
but what I am saying is that I doubt your problem is caused by a taskbar
setting.

"Luther Miller" <lex3001@community.nospam> wrote in message
>I prefer to use a vertical Taskbar in Windows XP. However, everytime I log
> out and log back in, the width changes and I have to reset it. How can I
> get
> the width to stick when using the vertical taskbar?
>
> More info: I have this problem on 4 machines that I use. Two of them use
> Office 2000, one has Office XP & 2003. One is Office 2003 only. I'm not
> aware of a speech utility being in use in any of them. I do have the
> language bar on all 4 machines. I use the Quick Launch with small icons.

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 11:59:11 AM

I think this is a bug in Windows XP.
Colin, thanks for your help - it appears that the language bar is also the
speech bar you were talking about. This is part of Windows XP, not Office. I
was able to verify not only that removal of the language bar from the Task
bar resolves the problem, but that this also occurs on a clean installation
of Windows XP Pro SP1.

Unfortuantely, I use the lnaguage bar to switch between keyboard layouts.

Is posting here using my @community.nospam email address going to get this
officially logged as a bug?

-Luther

!