Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help with connecting PC to TV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 26, 2006 4:43:55 PM

Hi, I've never done this before and I need to connect my parents PC to the TV, and am needing some help.

The video card currently in the PC does not have a TV Out. So I will need to get either a new video card or a TV Tuner? I am wanting to view what is on the PC on the TV. Will a TV Tuner let me do that besides letting me watch TV on the PC(which I do not need)?

If I get a video card:
I saw that the TV Out on most video cards is S-Video; the TV does not have S-Video, but the DVD player that is connected to it(through RCA, composite cables) does(it has a S-Video out port). Can I connect the S-Video cable from the pc to the dvd-player and view it from there? Since the S-Video ports are all female, does it matter if its out or in?

If I use S-Video, I'll also need something else to connect the audio right? The sound card on the pc has just the standard in, out, &mic ports. What will I need to get the audio working?

If I get a tv tuner:
Besides letting me see TV channels, will it let me see what is on my PC on TV? I saw that a lot of TV Tuners that have S-Video and RCA- composite ports, but they were under the Ports "In". Do these connect out to the TV? For example:

Thanks for any help!

More about : connecting

a c 176 U Graphics card
December 26, 2006 5:01:53 PM

Wires are like water pipes. If it flows out of one device, it needs to flow into another. The video card has Svideo out, so plugging it into a DVD Svideo out isn't going to work.

If your TV does indeed have composite cables then you can buy an ATI video card that has composite out. I'd link you a card, but I don't know if you need an AGP or PCIe card. (I know they have these cards for AGP, not so sure about PCIe.)
December 26, 2006 5:37:04 PM

Well, I currently have a PC connected to a TV and you don't need a TV tuner card (just a new video card with a TV out).

I'm assuming that you want to play DVDs or other video files from the computer on the TV. Please specify your goals.

Actually, the TV tuner card uses the video card and does not directly output to the TV so buying it would be a waste of money unless you want to have a computer based PVR or need an external TV tuner for some reason.

So you need to buy a new video card that has a TV output. Typically the TV out is S-Video so you need to buy either:
1) a S-Video to RCA adapter (assuming you already have a composite cable) OR
2) a S-Video to composite cable (S-Video to RCA) OR
3) a video card that supports Video In/Video Out (VIVO) and has a composite output jack

The video output of the video card would plug into the TV's video input (RCA jack).

For audio support you need to buy a 3.5mm jack to dual RCA jacks output cable. This plugs into where you would connect speakers on the sound card of the PC. However, if you already have a 3xRCA to 3xRCA composite cable then you could just buy a 3.5mm to dual RCA adapter.

On the TV, you need to have 3 RCA jacks, 1 for the video and 2 for the audio (left and right channels).

So in summary, you would be connecting 2 cables from the PC to the TV. One carrying video (RCA to RCA) and one carrying audio (3.5mm to 2xRCA).

Now if the TV doesn't have enough inputs then you might need to buy a manual switching box (takes multiple AV sources such as a PC and DVD player, etc.) and uses a switch to select which one connects to the TV's input jacks.
Related resources
December 26, 2006 5:59:48 PM

Somehow acquire a video card with TV-out (usually S-video). You can buy a new one for $50 or try and harvest one from somewhere.

Does your DVD player have RCA video-in(yellow)? If so, go ahead and get an S-video-to-RCA video converter. Here's a $5 adapter:

That takes care of the video. Next you need an adapter for audio. Again, your DVD player needs RCA audio-in (white and red). Use this cable to convert from 3.5mm audio-out from your sound card to RCA audio (red and white):
December 30, 2006 4:34:13 PM

Yes, I am wanting to view video files from my computer on the TV. You mentioned that tv tuners won't work for this? I was confused bc some have the s-video and RCA ports, do these not connect to the TV?
a c 176 U Graphics card
December 30, 2006 5:02:40 PM

some have the s-video and RCA ports, do these not connect to the TV?

Most of the time these Svideo and RCA ports are ins and not outs. If they were outs, then you could use them to output the video to the TV. But they are ins, when you use to input video from a source, like your camcorder or cable, etc.
December 31, 2006 3:24:34 AM

ooh ok, I see. Thanks!