pathname/filename too long

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 5, 2005 1:35:11 PM

Recently I find files unremovable on my ntfs partition.

Files like the following:

c:\document and settings\administrators\local settings\temporary internet
files\content.ie5\ghaisufg\__Wbca;bveybv;agf3pftgqfeq7pagf3q6fpq3gfq68pfgqw3
f68pqftq38pfgq3f68pq3ftgq3ftqpftqw3fggbaylgcvaeyvaelsfleat

When I tried to map "c:\document and settings\administrators\local
settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5\ghaisufg\" to, say, z: drive
and tried to remove
"z:\__Wbca;bveybv;agf3pftgqfeq7pagf3q6fpq3gfq68pfgqw3f68pqftq38pfgq3f68pq3ft
gq3ftqpftqw3fggbaylgcvaeyvaelsfleat" again, I can remove the file.

So it sounds like it has something to do with the too long path/filename.

The problem is I have over 1000 problem files all in different folders... I
am not going to spend 100 hours just to remove them one by one.

Any suggestion here?

Regards,
Jeremy.

More about : pathname filename long

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 3:57:24 PM

"Jeremy Sun" <binmann@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Recently I find files unremovable on my ntfs partition.
>
> Files like the following:
>
> c:\document and settings\administrators\local settings\temporary internet

files\content.ie5\ghaisufg\__Wbca;bveybv;agf3pftgqfeq7pagf3q6fpq3gfq68pfgqw3
> f68pqftq38pfgq3f68pq3ftgq3ftqpftqw3fggbaylgcvaeyvaelsfleat
>
> When I tried to map "c:\document and settings\administrators\local
> settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5\ghaisufg\" to, say, z: drive
> and tried to remove

"z:\__Wbca;bveybv;agf3pftgqfeq7pagf3q6fpq3gfq68pfgqw3f68pqftq38pfgq3f68pq3ft
> gq3ftqpftqw3fggbaylgcvaeyvaelsfleat" again, I can remove the file.
>
> So it sounds like it has something to do with the too long path/filename.
>
> The problem is I have over 1000 problem files all in different folders...
> am not going to spend 100 hours just to remove them one by one.
>
> Any suggestion here?
>
> Regards,
> Jeremy.

Your diagnosis is correct, as is your method of resolving the problem.
However, you do not need to delete these files individually. Simply
map drive Z: to "c:\document and settings\administrators\local
settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5", then type this command:

for /d %a in (*.*) do rd /s /q "%a"

You will, of course, lose your temporary Internet files but then -
who cares?
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 3:57:25 PM

> Your diagnosis is correct, as is your method of resolving the problem.
> However, you do not need to delete these files individually. Simply
> map drive Z: to "c:\document and settings\administrators\local
> settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5", then type this command:
>
> for /d %a in (*.*) do rd /s /q "%a"
>
> You will, of course, lose your temporary Internet files but then -
> who cares?

Any other ways to do it?

Administrators is not the only user on the computer.

In fact, the said workstation is not the only workstation in the domain that
is having the problem...
May 5, 2005 3:57:26 PM

In Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, put a check in
the "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed" box.

Jeremy Sun wrote:

>>Your diagnosis is correct, as is your method of resolving the problem.
>>However, you do not need to delete these files individually. Simply
>>map drive Z: to "c:\document and settings\administrators\local
>>settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5", then type this command:
>>
>>for /d %a in (*.*) do rd /s /q "%a"
>>
>>You will, of course, lose your temporary Internet files but then -
>>who cares?
>

> Any other ways to do it?
>
> Administrators is not the only user on the computer.
>
> In fact, the said workstation is not the only workstation in the domain that
> is having the problem...

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 6:01:55 PM

> > Your diagnosis is correct, as is your method of resolving the problem.
> > However, you do not need to delete these files individually. Simply
> > map drive Z: to "c:\document and settings\administrators\local
> > settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5", then type this command:
> >
> > for /d %a in (*.*) do rd /s /q "%a"
> >
> > You will, of course, lose your temporary Internet files but then -
> > who cares?
>
> Any other ways to do it?
>
> Administrators is not the only user on the computer.
>
> In fact, the said workstation is not the only workstation in the domain
that
> is having the problem...

You will find that all Windows 2000 (and probably Windows XP)
PCs raise an objection when the combined path+file name exceeds
about 250 characters.

If the file names follow a certain pattern then you could delete them
individually with a variant of the command I gave you in my first reply.
You could even use the Task Scheduler to do it automatically once
every day.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 6:01:56 PM

> You will find that all Windows 2000 (and probably Windows XP)
> PCs raise an objection when the combined path+file name exceeds
> about 250 characters.
>
> If the file names follow a certain pattern then you could delete them
> individually with a variant of the command I gave you in my first reply.
> You could even use the Task Scheduler to do it automatically once
> every day.

I am already working on the pattern... thanks.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 12:35:54 PM

not a bad idea... I will try it out.

"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> ??? news:ueDO7zXUFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl
???...
> In Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, put a check in
> the "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed" box.
>
> Jeremy Sun wrote:
>
> >>Your diagnosis is correct, as is your method of resolving the problem.
> >>However, you do not need to delete these files individually. Simply
> >>map drive Z: to "c:\document and settings\administrators\local
> >>settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5", then type this command:
> >>
> >>for /d %a in (*.*) do rd /s /q "%a"
> >>
> >>You will, of course, lose your temporary Internet files but then -
> >>who cares?
> >

> > Any other ways to do it?
> >
> > Administrators is not the only user on the computer.
> >
> > In fact, the said workstation is not the only workstation in the domain
that
> > is having the problem...

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 12:35:55 PM