temp directory for the Picture viewer

January 19, 2005 5:18:07 PM

I'm not at my XP machine right now. What is the
default directory and it's path for the Viewer?

gls858
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 9:21:39 PM

Hi,

Unless altered in the environmental settings, the default temp folder for
users is:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\local settings\temp

The picture viewer is not an executable, it's function of the shimgvw.dll
file. The path found in the file association "open" function should be:

rundll32.exe c:\windows\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o sYJ%23Pm$EHA.600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I'm not at my XP machine right now. What is the
> default directory and it's path for the Viewer?
>
> gls858
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 4:52:22 AM

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Unless altered in the environmental settings, the default temp folder for
> users is:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\local settings\temp
>
> The picture viewer is not an executable, it's function of the shimgvw.dll
> file. The path found in the file association "open" function should be:
>
> rundll32.exe c:\windows\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1

Thanks Rick. Kind of a strange situation. We had a customer call and
say that she rec'd porn in one of our e-mail attachments. She seemed
pretty clueless and when I tried to explain that the attachment was only
950 bytes and couldn't possibly contain 7 or eight pictures she just
said "When I opened it, they were there". When I asked her exactly what
she did, she said she tried to print (?) the gif file (the file was the
background on the e-mail)and her picture viewer opened up. Yes the first
photo looked just like the background but the next 7 or 8 files were
porn. So I tried to explain to her that the viewer held several pictures
in a temp file and after displaying the background gif the viewer was
just displaying photos ALREADY on her machine. I don't think she
believed me. When I told her the photos were probably still there she
wasn't very happy. I said I would do what I could to help. I thought
asking her to search her HD for *.jpg would get to many results so the
only thing I could think of was to find the directory and have her
delete the photos.

Something new everyday :-)

gls858
!