temp directory for the Picture viewer

I'm not at my XP machine right now. What is the
default directory and it's path for the Viewer?

gls858
2 answers Last reply
More about temp directory picture viewer

    Hi,

    Unless altered in the environmental settings, the default temp folder for
    users is:

    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\local settings\temp

    The picture viewer is not an executable, it's function of the shimgvw.dll
    file. The path found in the file association "open" function should be:

    rundll32.exe c:\windows\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Unless altered in the environmental settings, the default temp folder for
    > users is:
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\local settings\temp
    >
    > The picture viewer is not an executable, it's function of the shimgvw.dll
    > file. The path found in the file association "open" function should be:
    >
    > rundll32.exe c:\windows\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1

    Thanks Rick. Kind of a strange situation. We had a customer call and
    say that she rec'd porn in one of our e-mail attachments. She seemed
    pretty clueless and when I tried to explain that the attachment was only
    950 bytes and couldn't possibly contain 7 or eight pictures she just
    said "When I opened it, they were there". When I asked her exactly what
    she did, she said she tried to print (?) the gif file (the file was the
    background on the e-mail)and her picture viewer opened up. Yes the first
    photo looked just like the background but the next 7 or 8 files were
    porn. So I tried to explain to her that the viewer held several pictures
    in a temp file and after displaying the background gif the viewer was
    just displaying photos ALREADY on her machine. I don't think she
    believed me. When I told her the photos were probably still there she
    wasn't very happy. I said I would do what I could to help. I thought
    asking her to search her HD for *.jpg would get to many results so the
    only thing I could think of was to find the directory and have her
    delete the photos.

    Something new everyday :-)

    gls858

Default Microsoft Windows XP