Sign in with
Your question

mirrored drive

Last response: in Storage
December 26, 2006 5:50:57 PM

I have a windows 2000 server setup as a domain controller, it is our main DC. The drive is configured as a mirror with 2 identical drives, it seems that one of the drives is going off line periodically and might be bad. How do i replace the drive that is bad and not lose any data

More about : mirrored drive

December 26, 2006 6:47:44 PM

we will need some system specs to help you.

whats the raid controller model number/manufacturer?

is it an on board raid controller, if so list the motherboard manufacturer/model number.

if this is a pre-manufactured system like an HP/DELL/IBM list system model info.
December 26, 2006 7:39:54 PM

It is a SuperMicro server with Win2k server on it as a DC, there are 2 drives which are fujitsu. The raid controller is a Adaptec AIC-7899 scsi controller ultra 160 card. I dont know the amnufactuurer of the MB.
Related resources
December 26, 2006 7:52:05 PM

AIC-7899 is the chip name, which is somewhat helpful.

Take a closer look on the raid card and see if you can locate one of the following model numbers.

Adaptec SCSI Card 39160
AHA-3960D
PowerDomain 39160

Im digging around for the manuals now.
December 26, 2006 8:03:41 PM

I can not get into it as it is on a rack
December 26, 2006 8:12:49 PM

I can find no information on adaptec for raid functionality for this particular chip. Are you 100% sure this controller has raid functionality? I am guessing this is a software raid and I will be of little help to you there. Here are the instructions for the typical Adaptec hardware raid...

During boot up I believe the key to get into an Adaptec controller is Ctrl+A.

Once inside, if the controller senses a failing drive it will indicate that beside the appropriate hard drive. It should also give you the serial number of the defective drive. Write this info down.

Remove that drive and insert the new hard drive.
Reboot machine using Ctrl+A again to get back into the raid controller.
You will need to rebuild the array. (this will take some time)
Once complete, reboot as normal and you should be good to go.
December 26, 2006 8:16:29 PM

Stop, drop and roll.

Go to the local computer store and buy an external USB hard drive that is larger than the boot drive in your DC.

Plug it into the DC and verify that it is detected and available in the system.

Perform a backup of the DC with full system state.

Might also be good to do a full drive image with Norton Ghost or similar.

Then you can go and figure out what is wrong with your disk.

Go into the system event log and see if there are any disk errors.
Go to Adaptec and download the Adaptec Storage Manager and install. See what it tells you. It will identify the hardware and can show you the error logs.

Odds are good that the Adaptec card will rebuild the mirror once you replace the defective drive. The trick will be in identifying the correct drive to replace.

Unless you have a second domain controller serving the same network, might be a good idea to get a qualified pro to come in and fix the problem for you.
December 26, 2006 8:20:33 PM

Quote:
Stop, drop and roll.

Go to the local computer store and buy an external USB hard drive that is larger than the boot drive in your DC.

Plug it into the DC and verify that it is detected and available in the system.

Perform a backup of the DC with full system state.

Might also be good to do a full drive image with Norton Ghost or similar.

Then you can go and figure out what is wrong with your disk.

Go into the system event log and see if there are any disk errors.
Go to Adaptec and download the Adaptec Storage Manager and install. See what it tells you. It will identify the hardware and can show you the error logs.

Odds are good that the Adaptec card will rebuild the mirror once you replace the defective drive. The trick will be in identifying the correct drive to replace.

Unless you have a second domain controller serving the same network, might be a good idea to get a qualified pro to come in and fix the problem for you.

As Cirtes has just mention the Adaptec Storage Manager is a great tool to find out whats going wrong.

Adaptec has changed the site so you will have to register your card to download the storage manager, so if you have not done so already then you will need the serial number off the card.
December 26, 2006 8:27:59 PM

BTW, the AIC-7899 is a U160 SCSI Controller. The adaptec cards were the 19160 and 29160.

The RAID function is likely implemented in the Windows OS itself. Look at the Disk Manager and see if the boot drive is reported as "Protected". If it is, then the RAID functions implemented in the Windows OS and not in the SCSI controller.

This may change how you go about rebuilding the mirror, either from Windows or by pressing Ctrl+A (or CTRL+S, not sure which) during POST.
December 26, 2006 8:39:47 PM

there was also a 39160. http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/scsi/ultra160/

i agree, i find no mention of hardware/firmware based raid for this controller, despite the -R on the partnumber.

it is most likely a windows/software raid. time to call in a professional for help.
!