WIndows 2000 Server re-boots every 2 to 3 days

thepoet

Distinguished
May 3, 2005

I have a fresh install of windows 2000 SP4, stand alone, not yet connected
to internet, or network, and everything seems fine. I had a few event id's
but I corrected all of them, the system is an Asus P4V8X-X with 2 160 gig
drives. I can not figure out at all what can be causing the system to re-boot
like this? I have re-installed a few times, just to make sure the install was
ok, I tested the hard drives, they pass. I will now test the memory,
although, I can not see it causing this type of problem.

Also, in both the Bios and in Windows2000 I turned off all power saving
features and options.

Any ideas, I have been working on this for over a week with no luck!!

thepoet

Distinguished
May 3, 2005

Sorry, I wasnt clear, the system keeps re-booting every 2 to 4 days, and
since I did a complete re-install today, it has bebooted twice in the last 3
hours. Also just to mention, the system has never been connected to internet,
so can not be virus, and just to make sure I scanned for blaster and it was
not there.

"ThePoet" wrote:

> I have a fresh install of windows 2000 SP4, stand alone, not yet connected
> to internet, or network, and everything seems fine. I had a few event id's
> but I corrected all of them, the system is an Asus P4V8X-X with 2 160 gig
> drives. I can not figure out at all what can be causing the system to re-boot
> like this? I have re-installed a few times, just to make sure the install was
> ok, I tested the hard drives, they pass. I will now test the memory,
> although, I can not see it causing this type of problem.
>
> Also, in both the Bios and in Windows2000 I turned off all power saving
> features and options.
>
> Any ideas, I have been working on this for over a week with no luck!!

it may be caused by either over heat or under power.

System tends to go unstable when it is over heated.

1) Your CPU. You sure that the heat sink and the cooling fan are connected
properly? is the material between the heat sink and CPU melting properly?
2) Your CPU. Did you over clock it?
3) Your 2 160GB harddisk, did you put them too close to each other? they
generate a lot of heat. Put them at least one slot away from each other.
4) Did you install a real cool 3D graphic card? these cards are hot
5) Check the system board temperature with software, if your hardware
support it. if the temp is always 60'C or more then may be buying a better
CPU fan / case fan will solve your problem

You also need a good power supply these days if you are connecting all 4
IDEs (harddisks/cd-writter/dvd) or 3D graphic cards. They eat up a lot of
power and the normal 300Watt P4 power arn't enough. Get a 350W or even 400W
power will solve your problem.

Anyway, it looks like a hardware problem to me...

"ThePoet" <ThePoet@discussions.microsoft.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
news:3B45ECC1-CAB1-47CB-9C5C-102CD067E539@microsoft.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> Sorry, I wasnt clear, the system keeps re-booting every 2 to 4 days, and
> since I did a complete re-install today, it has bebooted twice in the last
3
> hours. Also just to mention, the system has never been connected to
internet,
> so can not be virus, and just to make sure I scanned for blaster and it
was
> not there.
>
> "ThePoet" wrote:
>
> > I have a fresh install of windows 2000 SP4, stand alone, not yet
connected
> > to internet, or network, and everything seems fine. I had a few event
id's
> > but I corrected all of them, the system is an Asus P4V8X-X with 2 160
gig
> > drives. I can not figure out at all what can be causing the system to
re-boot
> > like this? I have re-installed a few times, just to make sure the
install was
> > ok, I tested the hard drives, they pass. I will now test the memory,
> > although, I can not see it causing this type of problem.
> >
> > Also, in both the Bios and in Windows2000 I turned off all power saving
> > features and options.
> >
> > Any ideas, I have been working on this for over a week with no luck!!

thepoet

Distinguished
May 3, 2005

Hi Jeremy
Thats whats driving me crazy, I have done eveything you have said, I have a
500 watts dual fan power supply, a special case with 3 more fans and
ventalation. I have left space between the 2 hard drives, and the cpu
tempature is ok. I have not overclocked the system, I am using it as a
workgroup server, and the video is an ATI 32 meg Radeon card. I have
searched on every news group I can find, and cant find a solation. I have
been through the bios, and turned power saving features on and off and it has
no affect on the problem.

The first time I installed, I also installed all the hardware and
motherboard drivers, so I thought it might be that. SO when I re-installed, I
did not even do this step, and the system still re-boots.

The only thing I can think of now, is to swap the power supply, just in
case, and change the video card, but the vendor has sold many systems with
this configeration, so I cant see the video card being the problem.

"Jeremy Sun" wrote:

> it may be caused by either over heat or under power.
>
> System tends to go unstable when it is over heated.
>
> 1) Your CPU. You sure that the heat sink and the cooling fan are connected
> properly? is the material between the heat sink and CPU melting properly?
> 2) Your CPU. Did you over clock it?
> 3) Your 2 160GB harddisk, did you put them too close to each other? they
> generate a lot of heat. Put them at least one slot away from each other.
> 4) Did you install a real cool 3D graphic card? these cards are hot
> 5) Check the system board temperature with software, if your hardware
> support it. if the temp is always 60'C or more then may be buying a better
> CPU fan / case fan will solve your problem
>
> You also need a good power supply these days if you are connecting all 4
> IDEs (harddisks/cd-writter/dvd) or 3D graphic cards. They eat up a lot of
> power and the normal 300Watt P4 power arn't enough. Get a 350W or even 400W
> power will solve your problem.
>
> Anyway, it looks like a hardware problem to me...
>
> "ThePoet" <ThePoet@discussions.microsoft.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
> news:3B45ECC1-CAB1-47CB-9C5C-102CD067E539@microsoft.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> > Sorry, I wasnt clear, the system keeps re-booting every 2 to 4 days, and
> > since I did a complete re-install today, it has bebooted twice in the last
> 3
> > hours. Also just to mention, the system has never been connected to
> internet,
> > so can not be virus, and just to make sure I scanned for blaster and it
> was
> > not there.
> >
> > "ThePoet" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a fresh install of windows 2000 SP4, stand alone, not yet
> connected
> > > to internet, or network, and everything seems fine. I had a few event
> id's
> > > but I corrected all of them, the system is an Asus P4V8X-X with 2 160
> gig
> > > drives. I can not figure out at all what can be causing the system to
> re-boot
> > > like this? I have re-installed a few times, just to make sure the
> install was
> > > ok, I tested the hard drives, they pass. I will now test the memory,
> > > although, I can not see it causing this type of problem.
> > >
> > > Also, in both the Bios and in Windows2000 I turned off all power saving
> > > features and options.
> > >
> > > Any ideas, I have been working on this for over a week with no luck!!

No, video card heat doesn't seems to be the problem. I won't consider an ATI
32 meg Radeon be a high end graphic card.

So the temperture is normal. What about your RAM check? With a server like
that you must have more than 1GB RAM. If your motherboard support single
channel and you have 2 RAMs, pull one out and try again. Otherwise try some
old RAMs or borrow one from the shop that sold you the system.

The system just reboot without the terror of blue (blue screen) where the
eventlog says nothing, the best guess is that it is a hardware failure.
Power would be the most likely reason. CPU next on the list and and
motherboard came third. Then video card, memories, cables.

Mmmm... just a thought. Are you sure that the power supply in your
district/area/room stable?

> Hi Jeremy
> Thats whats driving me crazy, I have done eveything you have said, I have
> 500 watts dual fan power supply, a special case with 3 more fans and
> ventalation. I have left space between the 2 hard drives, and the cpu
> tempature is ok. I have not overclocked the system, I am using it as a
> workgroup server, and the video is an ATI 32 meg Radeon card. I have
> searched on every news group I can find, and cant find a solation. I have
> been through the bios, and turned power saving features on and off and it
has
> no affect on the problem.
>
> The first time I installed, I also installed all the hardware and
> motherboard drivers, so I thought it might be that. SO when I
re-installed, I
> did not even do this step, and the system still re-boots.
>
> The only thing I can think of now, is to swap the power supply, just in
> case, and change the video card, but the vendor has sold many systems with
> this configeration, so I cant see the video card being the problem.
>

> "Jeremy Sun" wrote:
>
> > it may be caused by either over heat or under power.
> >
> > System tends to go unstable when it is over heated.
> >
> > 1) Your CPU. You sure that the heat sink and the cooling fan are
connected
> > properly? is the material between the heat sink and CPU melting
properly?
> > 2) Your CPU. Did you over clock it?
> > 3) Your 2 160GB harddisk, did you put them too close to each other? they
> > generate a lot of heat. Put them at least one slot away from each other.
> > 4) Did you install a real cool 3D graphic card? these cards are hot
> > 5) Check the system board temperature with software, if your hardware
> > support it. if the temp is always 60'C or more then may be buying a
better
> > CPU fan / case fan will solve your problem
> >
> > You also need a good power supply these days if you are connecting all 4
> > IDEs (harddisks/cd-writter/dvd) or 3D graphic cards. They eat up a lot
of
> > power and the normal 300Watt P4 power arn't enough. Get a 350W or even
400W
> > power will solve your problem.
> >
> > Anyway, it looks like a hardware problem to me...
> >
> > > Sorry, I wasnt clear, the system keeps re-booting every 2 to 4 days,
and
> > > since I did a complete re-install today, it has rebooted twice in the
last 3
> > > hours. Also just to mention, the system has never been connected to
internet,
> > > so can not be virus, and just to make sure I scanned for blaster and
it was
> > > not there.

luck!!

thepoet

Distinguished
May 3, 2005

Well, at this point, I have gone one day with out a re-boot, but who knows
what it will do tomorrow. I installed the Asus Probe software, and so far
tempature and voltage as been ok all day long. I have only 512meg DDR400 ,
and I tested with Microsoft memory tester, ( loop) and it passed. The one
thing I have done different, which I doubt is relative, is I installed
directX 8.1 from Asus install CD. In Win98 systems, I have seen them freeze
up, without out it, simply running a screen saver. Like I said I doubt this
is it, but I am desperate.

If this does not work, I will change power supply, and if that does not
work, I will ask vendor to swap out memory and motherboard.

There is No Blue Screen of Death, it simply decides to re-boot itself.

ANyway, thanks for your advice, but soon I may be looking for a bridge, a
nice high one. hehe

"Jeremy Sun" wrote:

> [...]
> > > 2) Your CPU. Did you over clock it?
> > > 3) Your 2 160GB harddisk, did you put them too close to each other? they
> > > generate a lot of heat. Put them at least one slot away from each other.
> > > 4) Did you install a real cool 3D graphic card? these cards are hot
> > > 5) Check the system board temperature with software, if your hardware
> > > support it. if the temp is always 60'C or more then may be buying a
> better
> > > CPU fan / case fan will solve your problem
> > >
> > > You also need a good power supply these days if you are connecting all 4
> > > IDEs (harddisks/cd-writter/dvd) or 3D graphic cards. They eat up a lot
> of
> > > power and the normal 300Watt P4 power arn't enough. Get a 350W or even
> 400W
> > > power will solve your problem.
> > >
> > > Anyway, it looks like a hardware problem to me...

Change the memory stick. Memory can pass all sorts of test routines and
still be bad. The only real memory tester is live operations of the system.

Mike Ober.

"ThePoet" <ThePoet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > > workgroup server, and the video is an ATI 32 meg Radeon card. I have
> > > searched on every news group I can find, and cant find a solation. I
have
> > > been through the bios, and turned power saving features on and off and
it
> > has
> > > no affect on the problem.
> > >
> > > The first time I installed, I also installed all the hardware and
> > > motherboard drivers, so I thought it might be that. SO when I
> > re-installed, I
> > > did not even do this step, and the system still re-boots.
> > >
> > > The only thing I can think of now, is to swap the power supply, just
in
> > > case, and change the video card, but the vendor has sold many systems
with
> > > this configeration, so I cant see the video card being the problem.

Right click my computer - properties - advanced - startup and recovery and
uncheck automatically reboot. System should then blue screen on the error.
The error codes should help in trouble shooting.