whats the highest oc potential for 6600 on air

genec57

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Easily, no - possibly, maybe.
I can get to 3.6 with the Tuniq tower 120 for cooling but the temps run a bit higher than I am willing to endure. OTOH, 3.5 is quite comfortable with Orthos temps maxing in the high 50's.
You probably will want better cooling.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
If you have a side fan and duct, directing cool air towards the Big Typhoon then you'll get the best cooling possible with that cooler. I have done 3.8Ghz on Pentium D 840 @ 1.55vcore. The temps are really warm, as it reaches to over 60c during gaming. With the E6600 it should be a bit cooler and more overclockable than the Pentium D. You can push that cpu to the extreme by going 1.55vcore and over 60c full load. That is if you don't mind on those conditions. I have seen E6600 overclocked to 4Ghz using air cooler Tuniq Tower 120. But with a side fan, preferably 120mm and a duct, similar to my setup you should be able to achieve better cooling performance on that Big Typhoon and be able to go 3.6-4Ghz overclock depending on the system.

Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Artic Silver 5
Silverstone FM121 120mm fan
Thermaltake 80mm side fan

That was then but I have upgraded to water cooling setup.

penguin1

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
i can't view the picture.

anyway,
a 680i + 2 120mm fan, 1 92mm side fan(not directly on the cpu.. on the gpu) and a 80mm fan on top with a BT VX.

3.6 possible?

Jerfer

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
under efficient enough cooling system, it depends on your motherboard and your memory~~

i have seen people overclock straight into 400*9=3600 with original cooling fan after locking pcie frequency and memory latency.

i have seen people overclock to 4000 on air~~

i have also seen people overclock 4.5 under extreme cooling system~~

i use e6300, and i can overclock to 3.5 after adding voltage~~

penguin1

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
nah.. i'm new to ocing... 3.6 is already very ambitious for a frist timing. I'm reading lots abt ocing now to prepare myself.

Nmbr1Ballr

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
Actually I wouldn't say 400mhz is exactly easy. It depends on his cooling and what model chip he gets. I am currently using a scythe infinity (have a silverstone 110cfm on the way) and my conroe oc to 3.4ghz and a load I hit around 59º/60º. That is at peak but normally is a couple below that when running orthos to assure stability. I must use 1.45vcore to hit that clock speed. That is only because my core1 seems to need more vcore than core0. Core0 can be stable at a lower vcore but core1 fails. It depends on how good of a cpu he gets.

suzukii

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Can the E6600 be overclocked to 3.6GHz(my target) on a Big Typhoon VX easily?
Here's my .02 centz... hope it helps you some.

A wise man once said to me:
"User the Force" & remember the DISCLAIMER!!!

DISCLAIMER: If someone reading this wishes to OC & test their system using these suggested parameters or suggested hardware described below please do so at your own risk. The suggested parameters or suggested hardware described below are for my specific hardware. I'm not sure if it would work equally for a different system.
I took a chance with the help from the guys hanging out here & I'm still here writing about it on my OC'ed system. I'm only posting my findings to make it easy/easier for noobies like me on OCing. Your welcome.

With help from sruane & others my e6600 C2D is running stable @ 3.40Ghz with the ThermalTake BIG TYPHOON-V and it's variable speed controller @ around 44-46C when idle.
As reference with the stock Retail cooler I was at 52C @ 3.40Ghz when the system was idle.
When I run 3DMark06 the temp goes up to no more than 52C. This temp reading I get is from Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool. These are the settings that work for me using my Gigabyte DQ6 Mobo & OCZ PC6400/DDR2-800 Gold RAM & two additional 120mm case fans.

I did manage to get it to 3.6Ghz but was a bit nervous about having my temps hovering @ 57C just when it was at an idle state.

[Gigabyte BIOS (M.I.T.) Menu Options word-for-word with the F7 BIOS update]

Robust Graphics Booster: [AUTO]
CPU Clock Ratio: (9x)
CPU Host Frequency (Mhz): [378]
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) [100]
C.I.A.2: [Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier: [2.00]

Memory Frequency (Mhz) {this option is shaded out}: [756]

======================================

{Pressing Ctrl + F1 key Combo At Main BIOS Screen Enables DRAM Timings Below}

DRAM Timing Selectable: [AUTO]
CAS Latency Time: [grayed out]
DRAM RAS# To CAS# Delay: [grayed out]
DRAM RAS# Precharge: [grayed out]
Precharge Delay: [grayed out]
ACT to ACT Delay: [Auto]
Rank Write To READ Delay: [Auto]
Write To Precharge Delay: [Auto]
Refresh To ACT Delay: [0]
Read To Precharge Delay: [Auto]
Memory Performance Enhance: [Normal]

{blinking} ***** System Voltage NOT Optimized!! ***** {blinking}

System Voltage Control: [Manual]
DDR2 OverVoltage Control: [+0.025V]

PCI-E OverVoltage Control: [Normal]
{option appears after pressing Ctrl + F1 key combo}

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control: [Normal]
FSB OverVoltage Control: [+0.15V]
CPU OverVoltage Control: [1.42500V]

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Actually I wouldn't say 400mhz is exactly easy. It depends on his cooling and what model chip he gets. I am currently using a scythe infinity (have a silverstone 110cfm on the way) and my conroe oc to 3.4ghz and a load I hit around 59º/60º. That is at peak but normally is a couple below that when running orthos to assure stability. I must use 1.45vcore to hit that clock speed. That is only because my core1 seems to need more vcore than core0. Core0 can be stable at a lower vcore but core1 fails. It depends on how good of a cpu he gets.
That was easy and with nice temps. Just the perfect Vcore for 24/7 operation.

Bl4d3

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
can someone elaborate on this "duct system" that someone previously was talking about. maybe send me another picture or diagram. im a little confused. thanks a lot.

lewbaseball07

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
IT WILL BE A PIECE OF CAKE!!!!!

i have my 6300 running at 450 fsb all the time...stock cooling and 2x80mm and only one 120 mm fan in the case!!!!!

it should be extremely easy

forumtroll

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Can the E6600 be overclocked to 3.6GHz(my target) on a Big Typhoon VX easily?

For my lovely little week 36 processor it was easy... and I'm using the TT Big Typhoon VX . :) At 3.6ghz my vcore finally breached 1.4v, though. I have a novel attachment to running below 1.4v, so I use 3.5ghz for my 24/7 setting. (see my signature)