Beginner's question on cable sleeving.

lotussama

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Hi, I'm an old hand at building PCs, but am new to really doing anything to customize them in any way. I picked up a cable sleeving kit in an effort to get rid of the rat's nest of wires from the PSU. It came with some sleeving, and some heatshrink. Now, I know this is a stupid question...but, which to I put on the wires first? Common sense would tell me to put on the heatshrink, and then the sleeve.

Common sense would also tell me that putting both on the wires is overkill, but the kit came with both, and I want to do it right.

Sorry for the stupid question.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Equal length of both the sleave and heatshrink?? 8O mpilchfamily is correct in the fact that you use the heatshrink just on the ends to keep the sleave on nicely.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Zip ties work, but making everything sleaved just makes it look a little nicer. I've used just zip ties in a lot of my builds, but sleaving just ads that little bit more zip. Pardon the punn.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Off topic question. How do you like your Plextors? I have a set of Plextors from a few years ago and they still keep chugging along. No hickups what so ever. My LG DVD/RW just died today and I'm looking for a good replacement.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Off topic question. How do you like your Plextors? I have a set of Plextors from a few years ago and they still keep chugging along. No hickups what so ever.

Love 'em. No problems, no coasters. 716A with 8Mb Cache rather than 2Mb on all other burners. Fast with great spec's, and still hard to beat. Recently flashed to 1.10 firmware. :D :D :D