Sign in with
Your question

Beginner's question on cable sleeving.

Last response: in Components
December 26, 2006 6:28:36 PM

Hi, I'm an old hand at building PCs, but am new to really doing anything to customize them in any way. I picked up a cable sleeving kit in an effort to get rid of the rat's nest of wires from the PSU. It came with some sleeving, and some heatshrink. Now, I know this is a stupid question...but, which to I put on the wires first? Common sense would tell me to put on the heatshrink, and then the sleeve.

Common sense would also tell me that putting both on the wires is overkill, but the kit came with both, and I want to do it right.

Sorry for the stupid question.
December 26, 2006 11:19:38 PM

Thanks much. That does make sense.

I was thrown off by the fact that they gave me an equal length of each.

Thanks again. :) 
December 28, 2006 6:56:01 PM

Equal length of both the sleave and heatshrink?? 8O mpilchfamily is correct in the fact that you use the heatshrink just on the ends to keep the sleave on nicely.
Related resources
December 28, 2006 7:17:37 PM

Have you considered just using zip ties?
December 28, 2006 7:59:42 PM

Zip ties work, but making everything sleaved just makes it look a little nicer. I've used just zip ties in a lot of my builds, but sleaving just ads that little bit more zip. Pardon the punn.
December 28, 2006 8:07:46 PM

Fair enough. Some of us like our rigs to breath as easy as possible, so neatness counts, and a clean appearance is even better.
December 28, 2006 8:11:23 PM

Off topic question. How do you like your Plextors? I have a set of Plextors from a few years ago and they still keep chugging along. No hickups what so ever. My LG DVD/RW just died today and I'm looking for a good replacement.
December 28, 2006 8:22:03 PM

Quote:
Off topic question. How do you like your Plextors? I have a set of Plextors from a few years ago and they still keep chugging along. No hickups what so ever.

Love 'em. No problems, no coasters. 716A with 8Mb Cache rather than 2Mb on all other burners. Fast with great spec's, and still hard to beat. Recently flashed to 1.10 firmware. :D  :D  :D 
December 28, 2006 9:10:07 PM

THX I think I may pick up one today on the way home from work. :D 
December 28, 2006 9:25:18 PM

Plextor 716A's are no longer available in retail stores, are damned hard to find online, and are very pricey. :( 
December 28, 2006 9:36:29 PM

I may have to do some hunting arround then. DRAT!!!
!