Canon LIDE50 not working in W2000

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hi there,

I have a Canon Lide50 installed on Windows 2000 SP4 along with Canoscan
Tolbox 4.1 and Arcsoft Photostudio 5.0, and its behaviour is *very*
erratic...

The scanner was working more or less ok, until I recently moved the PC (and
probably changed the USB devices connections)
Previously, the scanner was sometimes not starting the "preview" mode. I
noticed from the task manager that a strange entry "wowexec" appeared under
NTVDM.exe (indented). When i killed the task, the scan would start properly.
Anybody knows what this wowexec is about, and why it interferes with the
scanning process ?

Now the scanner first got stuck in the calibration phase. I shutdown and
restarted, and now the scan locks up in the middle of the preview, and
photostudio eats up 99% of my CPU time. If i kill the wowexec task again,
then photostudio, and restart, I get a ScanGearCS and TWAIN error.
Has anybody encountered a similar problem in W2000 and have any idea how to
debug this problem ?
(my chipset driver is up to date, by the way)

TIA
--
NZ
2 answers Last reply

    You might need to completely uninstall all canon software/drivers then
    reinstall as per canon instructions.
    There are various updates on canon site.
    PS works fine for me with win2k sp4

    "Nico" <nzeches_Beurk@LeSpam_free.fr> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have a Canon Lide50 installed on Windows 2000 SP4 along with Canoscan
    > Tolbox 4.1 and Arcsoft Photostudio 5.0, and its behaviour is *very*
    > erratic...
    >
    > The scanner was working more or less ok, until I recently moved the PC
    (and
    > probably changed the USB devices connections)
    > Previously, the scanner was sometimes not starting the "preview" mode. I
    > noticed from the task manager that a strange entry "wowexec" appeared
    under
    > NTVDM.exe (indented). When i killed the task, the scan would start
    properly.
    > Anybody knows what this wowexec is about, and why it interferes with the
    > scanning process ?
    >
    > Now the scanner first got stuck in the calibration phase. I shutdown and
    > restarted, and now the scan locks up in the middle of the preview, and
    > photostudio eats up 99% of my CPU time. If i kill the wowexec task again,
    > then photostudio, and restart, I get a ScanGearCS and TWAIN error.
    > Has anybody encountered a similar problem in W2000 and have any idea how
    > debug this problem ?
    > (my chipset driver is up to date, by the way)
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > NZ

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    DL wrote:

    > You might need to completely uninstall all canon software/drivers then
    > reinstall as per canon instructions.
    > There are various updates on canon site.
    > PS works fine for me with win2k sp4

    Are you perhaps running out of room on your C:\ drive? I just had a similar
    (everything goes to hell) problem with a slide scanner, but the problem was
    caused by a 900-meg config-type (I assume) file growing invisibly in my
    ....\local settings\... subdirectory on C:, leaving me with only 25 meg --
    which win2K apparently found insufficient. (Slides were being scanned into a
    drive with LOTS of spare room.)

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev