Disaster recovery onto new hardware hangs

I have restored a 2000 Sp4 std dc server to new (different) hardware by
installing a basic server with same netbios name and then restoring c drive
and system state (backup exec). On boot the text mode startup finishes and
get 'starting windows' (still with horizontal stripes on screen) and then
hangs. Have run fast repair (hangs) and also tried disabling acpi in bios
(hal was acpi uniprocessor so should be ok) and rerunning repair. Also
removed redundant mraid boot device driver via recovery console. Drive
partitions are the same, processor is now amd instead of intel (should I try
an intel processor?).

Any ideas?
Thanks
David
1 answer Last reply
More about disaster recovery hardware hangs

    "Dapa" <dapab@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I have restored a 2000 Sp4 std dc server to new (different) hardware by
    > installing a basic server with same netbios name and then restoring c
    drive
    > and system state (backup exec). On boot the text mode startup finishes
    and
    > get 'starting windows' (still with horizontal stripes on screen) and then
    > hangs. Have run fast repair (hangs) and also tried disabling acpi in bios
    > (hal was acpi uniprocessor so should be ok) and rerunning repair. Also
    > removed redundant mraid boot device driver via recovery console. Drive
    > partitions are the same, processor is now amd instead of intel (should I
    try
    > an intel processor?).
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > Thanks
    > David

    You can't just port a Windows installation to new hardware.
    While it may be possible to do it for a workstation (see the
    links below), I would never do it for a server where one
    expects very high reliability and availability.

    How to Move a Windows Installation to Different Hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q249694

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292175.ASP

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824125

Hardware Data Recovery Windows