How to set up dual boot manually?

I kept my win98se installation (for all the usual reasons) on C: (raid)
and installed win2k on the D: drive. Lacking a driver for the raid PCI
card during setup, I disabled the raid and installed win2k on the other
drive as if it were C:, and keeping FAT32 so I can move files with
either system. This means the setup did not give me a dual boot.ini
that works. So what do my boot.ini have to look like?

As always, thanks for your support.

It won't be possible to do natively. Look for a third party boot manager.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Dave Patrick wrote:

>It won't be possible to do natively. Look for a third party boot manager.

Hmmmm.

Well now another problem. When I start win2k it does two things I don't
like.

1. It does not see the raid drive. I can fix this be disabling and
reenabling the raid controller. This is not a very good situation.

2. It insists on seeing the D: drive (the old setup) as the C: drive.
So when it Does see the raid (which should be the C:) it sees it as E:

Until I can get such a third party boot manager going, the way I boot
win2k is to go into cmos and make it boot HD0 first instead of the scsi
device.

How do I make win2k see the scsi raid system on bootup, and how do I
force the system to make the raid the C: and the other as D:?

You'll need to get the controller driver from the drive controller or mobo
manufacturer. You can't change the Windows 2000 drive letter. You'll need to
reinstall the OS

You can reassign non-system, non-boot partition drive letters in Disk
Management
Start|Run|diskmgmt.msc

--

"Quaestor" <no_spam@my.place> wrote in message
> I kept my win98se installation (for all the usual reasons) on C: (raid)
> and installed win2k on the D: drive. Lacking a driver for the raid PCI
> card during setup, I disabled the raid and installed win2k on the other
> drive as if it were C:, and keeping FAT32 so I can move files with
> either system. This means the setup did not give me a dual boot.ini
> that works. So what do my boot.ini have to look like?
>
> As always, thanks for your support.

As Dave Patrick says, you need a third-party boot manager.
I recommend XOSL. It's free, it's very nicely engineered,
it does exactly what you want and it will not modify the
boot environment of either of your two OSs.

Pegasus (MVP) wrote:

>"Quaestor" <no_spam@my.place> wrote in message
>

>>I kept my win98se installation (for all the usual reasons) on C: (raid)
>>and installed win2k on the D: drive. Lacking a driver for the raid PCI
>>card during setup, I disabled the raid and installed win2k on the other
>>drive as if it were C:, and keeping FAT32 so I can move files with
>>either system. This means the setup did not give me a dual boot.ini
>>that works. So what do my boot.ini have to look like?
>>
>>As always, thanks for your support.
>>

>As Dave Patrick says, you need a third-party boot manager.
>I recommend XOSL. It's free, it's very nicely engineered,
>it does exactly what you want and it will not modify the
>boot environment of either of your two OSs.

Very nice, thank you.

Which version do you use Pegasus?

XOSL 115 or 240 ?

http://www.ranish.com/part/

Rick

Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
> "Quaestor" <no_spam@my.place> wrote in message
>> I kept my win98se installation (for all the usual reasons) on C: (raid)
>> and installed win2k on the D: drive. Lacking a driver for the raid PCI
>> card during setup, I disabled the raid and installed win2k on the other
>> drive as if it were C:, and keeping FAT32 so I can move files with
>> either system. This means the setup did not give me a dual boot.ini
>> that works. So what do my boot.ini have to look like?
>>
>> As always, thanks for your support.
>>

> As Dave Patrick says, you need a third-party boot manager.
> I recommend XOSL. It's free, it's very nicely engineered,
> it does exactly what you want and it will not modify the
> boot environment of either of your two OSs.

I currently use XOSL 115.

Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
> I currently use XOSL 115.

thanks........

> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>> Which version do you use Pegasus?
>>
>> XOSL 115 or 240 ?
>>
>> http://www.ranish.com/part/
>>
>> Rick
>>

>> Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
>> > "Quaestor" <no_spam@my.place> wrote in message

>> > As Dave Patrick says, you need a third-party boot manager.
>> > I recommend XOSL. It's free, it's very nicely engineered,
>> > it does exactly what you want and it will not modify the
>> > boot environment of either of your two OSs.

TRENDING THREADS